Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey people, 2 days ago, I finally got my hands on the big Apoc book. After reading it, I knew one thing: "I want those Thunderbolts for my Grey Knights!"
Being a student, Forge World isn't going to be much help, because I can't simply cough up the money. Still, I'm gifted with a lot of creativity, and started out making sketches, estimates and started building the next day. Pic's of the build will come in the post too, and when finished, I'll make a file or something for the components needed to do the same as I did.

But there is one little thing, and that's the engine's. Does anyone have some advice about the air intake? Because I can't seem to figure out how to make those blades.

For those that don't have an idea what a Thunderbolt is, take a look.
Thunderbolt

Materials I have readily available: cardboard, glue, transparent plastic (for the window panes of the cockpit), a lot of plastic aviation bits (from real planes).

Advice on other things are welcome too! 0:

·
Registered
130 Posts
sounds like an AWSOME idea, i was thinking of building a thunderhawk gunship (huge ones) once i finished my titan

i gues if a titan can be built from nothing but hot glue and plasticard then i dont see why this shouldn't be posible

cant wait to see an update with some pics:happy:

·
Registered
368 Posts
Wine corks and plasticard maybe?

·
Registered
53 Posts
you could proberly use as a base the fuselage of a Curtis P-40 Warhawk it looks similar in shape to the Thunderbolt.

Gotta admit it is one damn sexy looking model, One of the guys in my local GW had one 50% complete. Even thought hey are £80 from forge world, you can see where your money goes in the level of detail in the model.

Sounds like a great project chap!!

Looking forward to seeing the results!

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
I know someone on one of the boards scracth built a Thunderbolt, just dont recall where, if it comes back to me I will point you at it

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A friend of mine can with a briliant idea to solve the jet-engine problem. His idea was to get a long strip op thick paper, and start winding it, to make a sort of tube or the right size. This will result in a surface which will probably he with rough lines in it.
Next, use a broad strip for the outer casing and wind it around until you get the right thickness. After you model is done, and start painting, you paint it like a blur, just like real jet enigine blades blur into each other. Those rough lines would help to enphasize this bur.

Any idea's on if this could actually work?

Also, if I want to post pictures, how am I supped to do this? Do I have to host it first somewhere, and if so, where? Because I've done a bit of the upper body all set and photographed :)

·
keeping it ptailstyle
454 Posts
For the engines, anikin skywalkers podracer models make superb representations. Just have to find the right scale.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

The very beginning, had to retouch some pictures to protect some people's personal information.

This is the skeleton of the frontpiece of the midsection of the plane.

Skeleton has been covered now.

I am now working on the backpiece of the midsection, and pics will soon thit the forum I think.
The wingspan is about 27 cm at the moment. All cardboard and glue so far :C

·
Registered
107 Posts
Why not use plasticard? I can see the construction being amazing based on the great start you have. Plus cardboard is more difficult to work with and wont be easy to paint.

Other than the nose of the fighter, the rest of it has a lot of flat and geometrical areas so it shouldnt be that difficult to build on your own. But I see it being so much easier and of a much higher quality with plasticard. Plus it isnt too expensive.

Just an idea. But great start sofar! :happy:

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why not use plasticard? I can see the construction being amazing based on the great start you have. Plus cardboard is more difficult to work with and wont be easy to paint.
I used cardboard because it's readily available, and I don't have a bunch of plasticard lying around, littering my room ;)
It was time to get to use them, instead of only saving them.

But yeah, plasticard would probably better suited indeed. About painting, I didn't seem te have a problem with it when I painted my "basic" city ruins actually. But I'll make a test run before I'm commiting the model to painting though. Just to be on the safe side ;)

·
127 Posts
Scratch building a thunderbolt is quite easy, plasticard is best, as you can create a one piece from a template. This enables you to score and bend the whole thing together, quite sturdy once superglued. Incidently I had a whole stack of sheets that are discarded at my workplace. These are examples of one of three that I built. I have darkened the windows since, and looks much better.

http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb47/mercenary79/thunderboltrear.jpg
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb47/mercenary79/thunderboltleft.jpg
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb47/mercenary79/thunderboltfront.jpg
http://i206.photobucket.com/albums/bb47/mercenary79/thunderbolt.jpg

·
127 Posts
What did you use for those engines? And what for those 'tubes' on top of the wing?
Engines, are just plastic hose, varying thicknesses so they can sleeve with each other to create the step look. The engine intakes, are a plastic cap from a pharmaceutical vial. Added to that is a plunger tip from the inside of a 3mL syringe. The engine jet/nozzle is a plastic bung from a plastic canullae. I work at a hospital, so it is a treasure store for us modelers. The tubes on top of the wings, are just, wait for it - bendy straws. Good luck with your project, just like you I had to have three, and they are awesome in Apoc. I am just waiting for guard to be re-done, and planetstrike, so I can add a bunch of plastic stormtroopers and valkeries to go with them.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
straws, should have figures that one out :?

Well, thanks! I won't reach the finished product for my first apocalypse battle, so I'll be using the Tnids for a changes of pase ;)

Hope it'll be finished (or at least representable) for the next one ;)

·
2,399 Posts

Other than the nose of the fighter, the rest of it has a lot of flat and geometrical areas so it shouldnt be that difficult to build on your own. But I see it being so much easier and of a much higher quality with plasticard. Plus it isnt too expensive.

Just an idea. But great start sofar!
Very true, but for my helpful comments:

I made a 4ft wingspan balsa framed Mosquito bomber a few years back, and I "doped" special tissue-like paper on top of it. the doping agent was actually very good for making it paintable, and is now applied to various artboard for scenery. - you should be able to pick it up quite quickly from bigger arts and crafts stores / model train stores that have balsa (Walking up to the counter and asking goggle eyed teenagers who just want their pay cheque if the shop sells dope will get you a drooling stare of uncomprehension.)

·
517 Posts
Does this help?

I lost one of my intakes and had to build one. I found a wooden circle thingie at a hardware store. It just happened to be almost the exact size. I used a dremel tool to hollow it out then I made a center cone out of a dowel rod. Now I just have to add Green Stuff fins.

·
Registered
65 Posts
This may be a bit late to be off any help to you, but this is my scratchbuilt thunderbolt i made a little while ago over at ATT.

Advanced Tau Tactica :: View topic - Scratch-built thunderbolt

I made the exausts with brass pipe (which actually didnt turn out that great), and some sort of bomb from a ww2 bomber model inside the pipe. The intakes were made from a 'NZ play money' 20 cant coin, the inside of the lid of a gw paint pot, half of a kroot grenade thingy (the small semi-shpere in the middle) and then greenstuff for the blades.

Hope this helps someone out,
Scott

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
wow leggett, that thunderbolt sure looks sweet. I'm in my exam period, so not much work has been lately, and also one of our computers broke down, and had to be repaired as well. Hopefully, in about 2 weeks I can finally continue again :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
You could go the path of uber converter and steal a few A-10 Warthog engines. They're big and bulky, perfect for an Imperial fighter.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts