Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your take on screaming jets? Do you think they can be used for competitive gaming or are they just another piece of useless equipment. If you do have competitive uses for them can you please explain how you use them. Thank You.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Yep,useless they are.

If you could DS a raider and then assault with your wych,incubi squad then it would be a other story.
Basically this. Although they can be used as a highly mobile weapons platform, their primary role is getting your dudes close enough to punch the enemy's face. If they were tougher, there might be a case to be made for them but as it stands now it is kind of third-leg-ish. Pretty much anywhere the raider could arrive on turn 2+ the raider could have gotten there by movement AND the stuff inside would be able to assault. The surprise factor of deep striking is mostly negated by the risk and vulnerability factor.

·
Dark Eldar Zealot
3,699 Posts
What is your take on screaming jets? Do you think they can be used for competitive gaming or are they just another piece of useless equipment. If you do have competitive uses for them can you please explain how you use them. Thank You.
Screaming Jets allows the vehicle to Deep Strike but...................its own rules deny disembarking and the current core rules deny shooting that turn.

(Note that years ago under 3rd Ed when this rule was invented you could indeed ‘fire as normal,’ but not now.)

This will simply turn that unit into indefensible target or ‘Floating Pinyata’ in your opponents turn.

At the moment there is no competitive use for Screaming Jets at all.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I think that they can be a decent choice for Ravagers.

If an opponent is deep striking turn 1/2 with drop pods it isnt hard for them to land behind your Ravagers and pop them, so having screaming jets on your Ravagers can improve their survivability. Good players can use deep strike and (SM)combat squads to annhiliate your vehicles, so you need to be prepared to face this threat. I used them on 2 Ravagers in the last tourney I went to and it was nice to have the option to deep strike them in. Won me the game against demons when they struck in then next turn I landed about 24 inches behind them and destroyed their whole army in two turns.

Of course you risk not getting your Ravagers in until turn 3-5 but if you are playing Dark Eldar and are afraid to take a risk... get out of here.

They are only 10 points on a Ravager so if the ability to deep strike would help in the croud you play against, I say go for it.

And on a raider... never... never take them.

·
Scourge Lord
1,638 Posts
While VitalSpark makes some good points, Ravagers are huge models to deep strike. This makes them very hard to deep strike in a good position without a mishap because they don't reduce scatter like Drop Pods do. This is less of a problem on wide open tables (like those seen in a lot of tournaments), but it's something to consider. Also, we should mention that deep striking Ravagers need to have at least 2 disintegrators so they can fire all three weapons when they arrive (albeit with sustained mode).

IMHO, night shields, while more expensive, are a more dependable solution to drop pod "tank popper" teams. But that's not me saying you can't take both options. ;)

·
Registered
26 Posts
While VitalSpark makes some good points, Ravagers are huge models to deep strike. This makes them very hard to deep strike in a good position without a mishap because they don't reduce scatter like Drop Pods do. This is less of a problem on wide open tables (like those seen in a lot of tournaments), but it's something to consider. Also, we should mention that deep striking Ravagers need to have at least 2 disintegrators so they can fire all three weapons when they arrive (albeit with sustained mode).

IMHO, night shields, while more expensive, are a more dependable solution to drop pod "tank popper" teams. But that's not me saying you can't take both options. ;)
I always take night shields, I like having the option to deep strike as well but I do not even deep strike on 25% of my games. Its nice to have the option.

The problem with my luck is a SM player will drop a pod right behind my ravagers and then use bolters to kill them because opponents only have 6 on their dice when rolling for armor pen and on the damage table. Night Shields cant save me from bad luck!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.