Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've only been here a little while but already I'm seeing a glut of threads detailing how someone had a gaming session ruined at their local GW because some farts came into the shop and started making fun of the miniatures and staff and stuff. What I want to know is why people take this so much to heart?

The way I look at it they're clowns, most of the time they're aged between 13-18 and have nowt better to do than aggrevate someone. Anyone. The queue in Burger King was too long, we're not allowed to go home for another two hours because mum's new boyfriend is there, and we've got no money left to spend on tracksuits. What to do? I know let's go into Games Workshop and laugh at the little toy soldier models. Maybe get one of those bikes and make vroom vroom noises as we roll it up and down the hills or get an alien and throw it across the shop. Hey Davey, you're a big brave soldier; darezya to steal one of the little robot men! Hee hee wouldn't that be fun! Not like the little nerds in the shop will stop us because we are large, overbearing specimens of humanity. One of my exes worked behind the counter in Ann Summers and she used to come home with similar stories; kids would come in and take the piss out of the customers, giggle at the vibrators and try to nick the pleasure gel. Basically what they were doing is going to a place where there were things that they didn't understand fully, applying their infantile understanding to them and then laughing at them because they think there's something risible or "sad" about it. They're the type of people who are curious or intrigued, their friends are too but none want any of the others to think they'd consider getting into something that isn't widely accepted in their little peer group (be it playing wargames or buying your girl a set of frilly undies :D).

They're not really to be feared or slapped, they're to be pitied. I know what they're like because I used to do this exact thing before the shop moved and I grew a brain. Luckily for me I saw the light in college and realised that people who make fun of people for having hobbies are turds who are jealous because they want to take it up but are slaves to peer pressure, or are the type of idiots who will usually end up banged up before they get to 25.

After that epiphany I never really bothered paying much attention to them. It'd fill me with a happy feeling and possibly cause me to do a lil' happy-happy dance if more people would do the same. Most of the time one wargamer is worth ten of the little scrotes who make fun of them, just keep that in mind and you'll find it a lot easier to ignore them :D

·
Registered
485 Posts
Hah, my store has been using a new method recently to get rid of the fools. The fools yell "nerds" into the store, and then we run over to the door and yells fatty fatty, fat, your so fat, why are you so fat, you dam fatty, get your face face outta my sight.

and to say it really works and they get outta of there as fast as possible.

Also a local gamer was going to school a long way away. And at his local hobby store all the customers were old salts way back from the rouge trader days. anyway a kid yells "nerd" into the store, and this really built gamer chases this kid catches him beats the crap outta him and then goes back to the store. Hah and then they saw the kid again and he didnt say a thing and his friends also learned dont mess with thoes gamers.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
what my store goes to get rid ppl like that is for the staff members to talk to tem and ask about their armies and asking them if they want to know how to play , that usally gets rid of them :yes:

·
Registered
453 Posts
TJK said:
what my store goes to get rid ppl like that is for the staff members to talk to tem and ask about their armies and asking them if they want to know how to play , that usally gets rid of them :yes:
Its the same at my store.its like in the center of chav capital (tjk knows what i mean, even if none else does).so they always come in and start lifting up models and going"what does this do?".It really annoys me.However our staff are great and seasoned pro's at getting rid of them,they just ask,"would you like a demo game?"
"errr,no"
"would you like to buy anything?"
"errr,no"
"what would you like then, a free painting lesson?"
"ill be off now"

However often gamers themselves can be a bigger pain than people who couldnt care less about the hobby.One kid stole one of the staff's armies from the store room and walked out.He did get caught like a week later i think, but everyone else in the store got banned for 2 weeks until the staff found out who nicked the stuff.But you cant blame them, youd be prtty annoyed(for want of a better word) if someone just stole your army.

Sad thing is, technically you cant just stop someone coming in a shop because you think theyll cause trouble,you have to wait for them to wreak havoc first.Shame isnt it?

Tygra

·
Registered
278 Posts
Someone stole something from the store I frequent too. I'm not too sure on the details, but he got caught and one of the staff members (who I swear had to have been part of some mercenary unit before going into PR and GW) took him outside into the mall area. He started giving him this really quite string of threats and epitaphs, and apparently, about three seconds nobody would step within 3 yards of the two. I understand the tongue lashing went on for about 10 minutes straight, and the kid returned the stuff and ran home.

A week later or so the kid's mom called.

·
Registered
314 Posts
You guys must have a store in a well traveled area. Our store is by itself, off to the side of a highway. You can't just walk by and stick your head in to call out insults. You have to drive to it and park in the parking lot. Too much trouble for knuckleheads.

The only problem we have is with the "magick card" players. We have to fight for table space.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I had a guy in my store who was stealing stuff. One Sunday we noticed a bunch of security tags ripped up and on the floor, and a few things were missing. Eldar things.

He was back with a mate a couple of weeks later, and carrying one of those double-sided GW figure cases around, with the catch undone. Sure enough, after a while, I noticed a codex in there. An Eldar codex. He noticed me noticing him, so didn't make to leave.

After a while I went over and had a quiet word to him about the Codex he was carrying around, and whether he intended to pay for it. He said that he did, so I took him to the counter to pay. At that point he confessed he didn't have the money. Of course, the security tag was torn on that book as well.

So I asked him about the stuff that was missing from the previous Sunday. He admitted to being in the store, but of course denied having pinched anything, although - and this was the most amazing thing - he admitted to ripping up the security tags. I asked him whether he'd like me to rip up some stuff of his, and he said no. I said "that'd probably make you pretty angry, huh?" and he said yes, and I said "yeah, and I don't really want to make you angry. And you sure as sh-- don't want to make ME angry".

I told him that bad things happened when he was in my store, and that I never wanted to see him in my store ever again. The irony here was that he had a squad of minis in my window, entered in a painting comp, so I had his name and number and address - plus his minis.

I told him to come back with the money for the book the next day, to collect the book and his minis, and to never cross my sight again, or bad things would happen to him (I'm a pretty big guy) His mate started to do the 'I know my rights' spiel at that point, and I told him that I could tell he was the instigator, egging his mate on, that he was also banned from my store for life, and that if I ever saw him again, even on the street, all he rights in the world wouldn't help him, for the simple fact that nobody would get to him in time.

I've never seen anyone turn white as quickly from anything else I've ever said. I love those seven words. Without actually saying anything specific, the most unspeakable horrors are imagined.

·
Registered
278 Posts
CPT Shortcut said:
You guys must have a store in a well traveled area. Our store is by itself, off to the side of a highway. You can't just walk by and stick your head in to call out insults. You have to drive to it and park in the parking lot. Too much trouble for knuckleheads.

The only problem we have is with the "magick card" players. We have to fight for table space.
Yeah, the Ventura GW is in the Pacific View mall. It's pretty well-travelled, but for all that we don't have many troublemakers.

We DO, however, get a lot of young children running around though.

·
Registered
1,254 Posts
CPT Shortcut said:

with the (non GW) club I go to I get that with yu gi oh players :)

·
Registered
453 Posts
My store is in the middle of town ,so a lot of people walk past.I also go to a store in a mall, it means that on saturdays , when the begginners stuff is on, parents drop off their kids and go shopping.Instant child minding service.It really annoys the staff.Its really small in there too, so little kids running around drive everyone mad.

At the club I go to in Northern Ireland, i dont have the problem of fighting for tables.T here is just one long table for magic an yu-gi-oh,which I do play, and 4-5 wargaming tables with cool terrain etc.Only problem is that most of the time, 40k players hog the tables with huge 3000pt battles that last all day, but you can usually get a game of fantasy.

Only thing is though, on saturday some kids wre running about annoying everyone and they ran into our table.The tables are fold down ones that wobble a bit, so every model that wasnt plastic or on a movement tray fell over.The chips to the paint wre horrendous and several pieces of conversion work came off.I felt like hitting them so hard.They did get chucked out and banned for two weeks though.Sadly before i got a chance to hit them.

Tygra

Reactions: TJK

·
LO Zealot
1,328 Posts
I've luckily not had to deal with this sort of thing. The local hobby shop is owned by a woman whom many people respect. I'm sure there have been some childish acts that have occured (when you have magic, d&d, WH, WH40k and board game days all in one store it would be surprising not to expect it). But the owner goes out of her way to make people happy. Therefore people respect her and generally the maturity level rises. She also points out when people are being childish.

Another take on what to do with annoying people can be found at this website:
www.actsofgord.com

Having worked in a video game store, I have so wanted to do what this guy did.

·
LO Zealot
1,325 Posts
Senexis said:
I had a guy in my store who was stealing stuff. One Sunday we noticed a bunch of security tags ripped up and on the floor, and a few things were missing. Eldar things.

He was back with a mate a couple of weeks later, and carrying one of those double-sided GW figure cases around, with the catch undone. Sure enough, after a while, I noticed a codex in there. An Eldar codex. He noticed me noticing him, so didn't make to leave.

After a while I went over and had a quiet word to him about the Codex he was carrying around, and whether he intended to pay for it. He said that he did, so I took him to the counter to pay. At that point he confessed he didn't have the money. Of course, the security tag was torn on that book as well.

So I asked him about the stuff that was missing from the previous Sunday. He admitted to being in the store, but of course denied having pinched anything, although - and this was the most amazing thing - he admitted to ripping up the security tags. I asked him whether he'd like me to rip up some stuff of his, and he said no. I said "that'd probably make you pretty angry, huh?" and he said yes, and I said "yeah, and I don't really want to make you angry. And you sure as sh-- don't want to make ME angry".

I told him that bad things happened when he was in my store, and that I never wanted to see him in my store ever again. The irony here was that he had a squad of minis in my window, entered in a painting comp, so I had his name and number and address - plus his minis.

I told him to come back with the money for the book the next day, to collect the book and his minis, and to never cross my sight again, or bad things would happen to him (I'm a pretty big guy) His mate started to do the 'I know my rights' spiel at that point, and I told him that I could tell he was the instigator, egging his mate on, that he was also banned from my store for life, and that if I ever saw him again, even on the street, all he rights in the world wouldn't help him, for the simple fact that nobody would get to him in time.

I've never seen anyone turn white as quickly from anything else I've ever said. I love those seven words. Without actually saying anything specific, the most unspeakable horrors are imagined.
Heh little kids these days... addicted to GW [email protected]! But this story makes me wonder... I dont think GW official stores have security tags in them.. O.O.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I could not agree more. I LOVE THIS HOBBIE ! LOVE LOVE LOVE IT ! But no matter what you do in life people can and will always find a way to make fun of you for it. I was just watching the winter olympics , and some of the stuff they do looks REALLY REALLY silly, it is very EZ to make fun of it. But there is HUGE amounts of skill involved in everything they do on there.
Gaming by is very definition is nerdy, sorry but it is. But I love that, and I love gaming. I am a Nerd and I no issue with that, so when people start making fun of me for it, a lot of times I help them. If they get mean I get mean back.
The thing I like to do when those kinds of people come into the store , he to get as many people as you can, to point and laugh at them. Say nothing just laugh ... they leave.
And more often then then not there is something about them that is just as funny as gaming. I once found "those guys" playing dance dance revolution after making fun of a 40K game.... need I say more ?

·
LO Zealot
1,539 Posts
Heheh. All these chav/chode/scrote topics are kinda taking me back to when I was an asst manager at a video game store called Game Force. It is a lot like EB, or Gamestop, except we had systems on display throughout the store (everything ranging from NES/Genesis era to GCN/PS2/X-Box era) to promote our 'try before you buy' policy.

Occassionally, kids from the nearby school would come out and 'demo' our games, which we equated ourselves to being a 'free arcade', thus limiting game time to approx three minutes for kids we didn't think were honestly in the market to make a purchase that day.

One time, after making a sale to a regular after he was demoing a game, we forgot to re-wrap the controller behind the counter, so it sat there, waiting for the next avid gamer to pick up and give a try.

Normally, no big deal, except the next kid to pick up the controller musta been eating cheetos all day as his fingers were caked in cheeto cheese dust. His possey activily watched as he started to play the game. Not wanting to be held responsible for a filthy/busted Gamecube controller, I strolled over to the GCN area, and took the controller from him, declaring "Sorry buddy. I've gotta cut you off for now."

The kid stood there in disbelief, hands empty (well, except for the cheeto dust), while his buddies said nothing watching me wrap the controller up. As I turned to walk away, I hear "He just took the controller from the mac-daddy's hands."

Without skipping a beat, I slowly wheeled around and replied in the most monotone voice I could muster: "Yeah dude, it's wiggity wiggity wiggity whack"
(Rep cookie to the first one who get's this old fart's reference)

Then the small crowd started to cuss and juke on me as they were leaving the store, while I continually just held my hand to my ear as if I couldn't hear them.

They left and got out of sight, and spontaneously, everyone in the store burst out laughing. I think my manager even started to cry a bit he was laughing so hard.

It's great how you can be the brunt of some verbal abuse sometimes, but still manage to come out the victor.

Man I had a blast working at the Force.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.