Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Scug Lavabelcher - 200 points (Edited, down from 230 )

From a small tribe located near the Fire Mouth, Scug decided to test his mettle one day by drinking lava that had spewed from a vent in the side of the mountain. He must have had some firebelly in his makeup, because he didn't instantly burst into flames nor have his guts melt out of his body.
The lava did something to him, brought the firebelly in him to the surface. He could, and did, regularly eat more lava, with hardly any ill effects, and has terribly explosive belches, which he can summon at will. His stony skin makes him move slower than other ogres, but has made him tougher.

As Bruiser except -1 WS +1 T -1 I (Edited, put movement back up)

--Gear--
Light Armour (Gut Plate)

--Special Rules--
Fear
Ogre Charge
Basalt Skin
Explosive Belch
Unstoppable Force

--Basalt Skin-- (edited, changed ward save vs flaming to 2+ from 4+)
After so many times drinking from the volcanic vents, and ogres not being particularly neat when eating either, Scug has a thick coating of hardened lava over most of his body. This acts as a 5+ scaly skin armour save. He also uses no weapons, just his stone coated fists. This volcanic coating also gives him a 2+ ward save vs. flaming attacks.

--Explosive Belch-- (edited, changed from bound spell to vomit style attack)
The lava has churned Scugs' guts so much that he can summon massive flaming burps at will. Scug can trade his normal attacks to belch in close combat. This belch causes D6 flaming auto-hits at strength 5 with no armour saves. If a 1 is rolled for the amount of hits, Scug has suffered some sort of reflux and takes 1 wound himself with no saves allowed. If Scug uses his belch, he can still stomp in the same round.

--Unstoppable Force--
While Scug takes longer to get moving, when he does, he is very hard to stop. When he hits something, he hits harder than other ogres. Scug has the Wallcrusher bigname.

So this is my attempt at making a Special Character for the comp, I figured that I could get a lot more flavour into an Ogre character than into a Dwarven character (my other army). I feel like I might have the character being too powerful, and so I might slip Stupidity in there as well, since he would have had to be pretty stupid to attempt to drink lava.

Feedback would be nice, though I know the O.K. sub-forum is quite slow.

This character can be used for anything else (stories, modelling and such whats).

Edited 30/03/12

·
has a ca-fading facade
518 Posts
I don't know Ogre points levels at all, but he seems way overpriced to me. He's over twice the price of a Bruiser and could achieve the same upgrades with only 50-70 points of magic items/ upgrades. I think you should give him a 2+ Ward vs. fire since he's DRINKING lava and a 2+ fire ward is only 5 points from the rulebook anyway. He could also probably have Magic Resistance (1) or (2) and still not be too pricey. I think the fire belching is cool, but a bound spell doesn't seem to me the best way to show it. After all, it can only do the base spell and that's not very strong. What if (and this is just a suggestion, so take it with a grain of salt) he could do a Vomit attack much like Trolls instead of attacking, doing D6 Strength 5 Flaming hits with no armour saves allowed?

Honeslty, even if you included all the upgrades I've suggested, he still figures in my mind to be 200 points or less. I would show you the math but I'm not allowed. Safer to say, look in the rule book to see how many points you'd have to spend to get the upgrades by taking magic items. Good luck!

·
Registered
77 Posts
i would agree with jackmoddle he is way overpriced and in my opinion not that good but have no fear cause you can still tweek him up a bit. The bound spell Idea is cool but i dont see it going off ever and its only fireball I like jacks Idea of the troll vomit. to make it even better you could also say he could belch up to 18 inches causing d6 strength 5 hits and on the roll of a 1 he takes a wound with no saves allowed.
and since he is giving up all 4 attacks to belch in combat maybe it should be 2 d6 strength 4 no armours saves on a roll of a 3 or less he takes d3 wounds on a 11+ he does strength 6

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Much obliged for the feedback.

The points cost did worry my slightly, but I was sort of basing the cost off both the bruiser and Bragg the Gutsman as well. Bragg has the same profile as a bruiser and not many abilities extra (+1 S and HKB in a challenge). Yet Bragg costs twice as much as a bruiser, and I feel my guy is better than Bragg.

If I changed the burp to a troll vomit style of thing, reduced the points cost to maybe an even 200, would that be more balanced? I'll edit the post now, I think I have an idea

·
Registered
77 Posts
bragg is overcosted for what he does so no you are fine there maybe if he had HKB always he would be worth it but he doesn't so he sucks

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bragg is overcosted for what he does so no you are fine there maybe if he had HKB always he would be worth it but he doesn't so he sucks

Fair enough then, I can understand that, I hardly ever use special characters in any of my games, so its not something I pay much attention to.

·
has a ca-fading facade
518 Posts
Looks great! I like that you added your own flavour to the belch attack, I didn't want to completely hijack your character. And I think people will feel his points are appropriate. By my best guess you are paying about 40 points for that belch attack. That's less than Throgg pays for his, but he's undercosted IMO and your guy gets flaming (think of him as the perfect hydra/abom killer). I wish you luck with him!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Many thanks for the assistance on this guy, I very much appreciate it.

Hardest part for me is trying to make it balanced, I don't want something either higher or lower. Fluff and so forth part of it I have in spades, that comes easily to me.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Scug Lavabelcher

Scug Lavabelcher - 200 points

From a small tribe located near the Fire Mouth, Scug decided to test his mettle one day by drinking lava that had spewed from a vent in the side of the mountain. He must have some firebelly in his makeup, because he didn't instantly burst into flames nor have his guts melt out of his body.
The lava changed Scug, changed his very make up. No one knows how he managed to survive, or how he manages to summon his amazingly destructive burps, but few get the chance to find out.
He has gained a solid reputation as a deadly power, and all tribes welcome him, if only to quickly roast entire pitfulls of meat in seconds.

--Stat line--
As Bruiser except -1 WS, +1 T, -1 I

--Gear--
Light Armour

--Special Rules--
Fear
Ogre Charge
Basalt Skin
Explosive Belch
Unstoppable Force

--Basalt Skin--
Ogres are not known for their table manners and Scug is no exception. From shovelling handfuls lava into his crusted maw, he has covered most of himself in hardened lava. This second, stony skin can turn aside normal blade strikes and arrows.

This acts as a 5+ scaly skin armour save. He also uses no weapons, just his stone coated fists. This volcanic coating also gives him a 2+ ward save vs. flaming attacks.

--Explosive Belch--
While the lava has crusted on Scug’s skin, it has been absorbed into his guts, changing them, churning them. Scug can summon forth massive belches in combat, filled with volcanic flames and sulphurous stench, engulfing multiple enemies in blast.

Scug can trade his normal attacks to belch in close combat. This belch causes D6 flaming auto-hits at strength 5 with no armour saves. If a 1 is rolled for the amount of hits, Scug has suffered some sort of reflux and takes 1 wound himself with no saves allowed. If Scug uses his belch, he can still stomp in the same round.

--Unstoppable Force--
Due to the thick layer of stone coating his skin, Scug is heavier and slower moving than any typical ogre. His plodding, thundering steps might take a little longer to get going, but once he does, he crashes down upon his enemies like a boulder crashing down from a mountain.

Scug has the Wallcrusher Bigname.

This character can be used for all and sundry. (Stories/modelling)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts