Librarium Online Forums banner

Seer Council question

513 Views 9 Replies 9 Participants Last post by  Viktor
I just now have enough warlock/farseer figures to experiment with using a seer council, which seems really powerful as Ulthwe anyway esspecially since u can have a bunch of farseers that will only count as 1 HQ and a couple of free warlocks it seems for the points.

I just have a question about guide, if i cast guide on my council, shoot my weapons getting re-rolls for misses and then got into CC...does guide count while in CC also? Any missed hits can be re-rolled? Or was it just shooting weapons period?

Thanks
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
The rule says that it works for shooting attacks, so there's really no reason to think that it might work it close combat, too. . .
yeah sorry my codex is missing the psychic powers page thats why i ask. i need to buy a new codex.
Yep, it only works for shooting, although it would be pretty cool if it worked for CC aswell.
it would make sense for it to work in cc + for the amount of points you have to pay for it would be fair. there's 2 oppinions here one is it's not worth it's points and the other is it's the best thing since sliced bread, i fall into the first i refuse to pay 30 points to alow ONE squad to reroll misses especially if i play my list as ulthwe but lately i bin playin vanilla but i still refuse to pay out that much. seriously if you can guide the squad to where they place their shots then why can't you guide them to where they can place their blows.

as a final note i believe that the only farseer powers worth their points is fortune and mind war and the 2cnd really comes into it's own in a ulthwe' list.
Uh, guide would have to be a lot more than 30 points for CC rerolls. Just imagine how sickeningly abusive Baharoth would be if that were the case. "What's that? 12 Genestealers? Remove them please." And frankly, when you have access to such a wealth of devastating weaponry as the Eldar, guide is an excellent asset. Mind war and Fortune are excellent powers, but do not overlook how nasty a squad of War Walkers (or even black guardian war walkers) with starcannons and guide can be. Heck, a Falcon with guide is pretty damned intimidating too.
You have not known true firepower until you have seen three guided warwalkers with starcannons.

In order for guide to be worth something you have to have an already powerful shooting unit you can cast it on. Problem is that this usually means you will have to leave your farseer behind with the warwalkers or similar, and then you end up paying both the price of the farseer AND the psycic power. Thats just not worth it in my opinion.

A seer council could be able to guide more than one unit, but the problem remains the same. Either keep your council in the rear, or let the expensive firepower units follow the council forward. Neither option seems like a good idea.

In USF it can be good for when a couple of warwalkers and/or 20 guardians exit the wraithgate. But still, I believe even then it is more useful to make those banshees or scorpions who just popped out reroll their armor save and then mind war the enemy with the power weapon.

Arizzar
See less See more
in theory guide in combat would not work as guide from shooting is over a much longer distance and so the farseer would be able to direct it easier. also shooting would not need to be asacurate as shooting wounds could also include such occurances as bullets hiting rocks etc and "pinging" into models, the farseer would just need to aim the shots at the unit.

In combat, the faseer has alot less time to use guide. the attacks need to be more accurate and it would be counter-effective as the warriors would strike and there blows would land in a different place and wrong foot them. leaving them open to a counter attack.

let the fighters fight.
Guide is kind of pricey but it's worth it i think, more so with vanilla lists where you have all these potent weapons but they hit on 4+.

You just need to know what to use it on really. A common example which Gamesworkshop staff have used before is a farseer along with Reapers. Consider 20 gaurdians and a platform, 3 warwalkers, fire prism (not as great though) or firedragons (3+ re-roll would pretty much garentee a whole squad of marines gone)
Plague_00 said:
it would make sense for it to work in cc + for the amount of points you have to pay for it would be fair. there's 2 oppinions here one is it's not worth it's points and the other is it's the best thing since sliced bread, i fall into the first i refuse to pay 30 points to alow ONE squad to reroll misses especially if i play my list as ulthwe but lately i bin playin vanilla but i still refuse to pay out that much. seriously if you can guide the squad to where they place their shots then why can't you guide them to where they can place their blows.

as a final note i believe that the only farseer powers worth their points is fortune and mind war and the 2cnd really comes into it's own in a ulthwe' list.
Then stop whining and keep to your Vanilla army.

Guide is totally worth it, it all depends on what you cast it on, and it is supposed to make a shooty units better while Fortune is supposed to make CC units better.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.