Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
O.k, so I sign up for my local gaming store's annual January tourny, we are supposed to call in for our times and oppenents; Now, I have at least came in the top 5 in these tournys every year.

But this year the story is most likely going to be different :cry: .
The tournament is organized as single elimination style, simply; you lose, your out.
There are 30 people in this tourny and I just happened to be playing the defending champ for two straight years!

He plays eldar, extremely tactical, and whooo, does he know how to use his seer council! I have entered my Blood Angel army in this tournament, and since I play eldar I know weaknesses, but not alot. I have now idea what he is going to field, but I know there is going to be a large and powerful seer council among his force, we are playing 1500pts so I cant imagine much more being fielded. So I am asking you, how am I going to beat this seer council? Weakness weapons? Try to charge with my DC? I don't know!

HPA

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
seer councils seem alot scarier than they are, while they are extremely tough they suffer from a inabilty to pass your power armour asa even if they hit on 3's and wound on two's they can't ignore armour so get im in cc and smash away they might tie you up for a while but there is no way they can win and since the faseer will only have a max of 3 attacks and warlock 2 it's really a no brainer

·
Registered
63 Posts
Two things in marine armies can pretty consistently mess with the seer council. Massed guns (ANY guns, but the more the better) and terminators. Because there is almost always going to be more warlocks than farseers, you can pour bolter fire into them and be wounding on 3s. The idea with this is sure they're probably rerolling those 4+ invulnerables, but Warlocks have only 1 wound so the more saves he has to roll the more likely he'll be bleeding warlocks each round. The Termis don't even need any heavy gear to do their job, though a couple assault cannons never hurt. Don't waste your death company on them, get even a 5 man squad of terminators into combat with the seer council and even if you don't manage to kill them outright, that one squad can keep the council occupied for a VERY long time. Wounding on a 2+ means squat when your boys are still saving on 2+, and those power fists only have to get through once for each farseer. Not to mention you've just tied up his uber-HQ with a squad half its size in points and models.

The key thing is don't go in trying to destroy the seer council, go in trying to remove it as a problem. People who look at the seer council as public enemy #1 throw everything and the kitchen sink at it, at which point the eldar player laughs at you because he's occupying half your army with one expensive HQ.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Don't waste your death company on them, get even a 5 man squad of terminators into combat with the seer council and even if you don't manage to kill them outright, that one squad can keep the council occupied for a VERY long time.
id be more worried about the council tying up the termies more than the other way around. maybe thats just me though. and dont underestimate witchblades because you have to fail saves sometimes and with termies that hurts.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for all of your help, I think I'm going to pack alot of HB. Hit on 3s, wound on 2s, and all they have is a 4+ inv. That sounds great, and since nearly every unit can acquire one, there shouldn't be much of a problem!

Thanks for the advice with the termies, but as I stated I am pplaying BA, and one of those termies could be easily lost to the DC. So thats risky. But I do have about ten of them so I might just field a small point (if it fits in).

HPA

·
Registered
46 Posts
do not be scared of farseers, 2 farseers charged my lone assault squad sergent with a power fist, and after 2 rounds of combat they were both dead my sergent laughing at thier corpses!!!

·
389 Posts
High Priest Avion said:
Thanks for all of your help, I think I'm going to pack alot of HB. Hit on 3s, wound on 2s, and all they have is a 4+ inv.
Heavy bolter are always good against eldar. The seer council however is best dealt with in cc. Even with witchblades they will take a long while killing a group of basic marines. A 10 man marine squad can tie up the seer council for most of the game, and will inflict some casualties along the way.

High Priest Avion said:
Thanks for the advice with the termies, but as I stated I am pplaying BA, and one of those termies could be easily lost to the DC. So thats risky. But I do have about ten of them so I might just field a small point (if it fits in).
I respectfully disagree. While terminators are a wonderful unit they just don't seem worth it against eldar. They die nearly as easily to starcannons, brightlances etc as normal marines, and their point cost make it worth it to target them with heavy weapons. Also, a seer council could mindwar 2-3 of them each turn until you get into cc.

The best way to deal with a seer council is to realize that they have to have something very, very expensive to fight against in order to earn back their points. I have often fielded a seer council costing about 1/4 or 1/3 of the total amount of points only to have my opponent target them with a huge amount of firepower. Often to little effect. If you use half your army in an effort to knock out 25% of his army you have put yourself at a serious disadvantage.

Seer councils are at their most dangerous when you have something very expensive, lords, champions, etc nearby for them to mindwar. And when they have something like warwalkers nearby that benefit immensely from being guided. Often it is far, far easier to kill the unit being boosted by the council than it is to take out the council itself.

A large seer council in the hands of a good player is in my experience the toughest unit in the game. By trying your best to kill the toughest unit in the game you are in essense doing exactly what the eldar player hopes you will. Don't play on his terms, or you will surely lose.

Arizzar

·
Registered
199 Posts
if your really scared of the seer council you could always try a culexus temple assassin allay... it would be like a fat kid in a cake shop.

·
LO Zealot
1,331 Posts
If you're that worried try investing in a grey knight ally unit with incinerators. Basically heavy flamer which doesn't allow invulnurable saves. If anyone disagrees with the allying thing they can go to the witchunters forums, they had a huge thread about allying greyknights and i think it applies to spacemarines as well.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok, thanks for all of the help.
My match is this weekend so, I'll try to post a battle report after the match (should be a good one).

Thanks again
HPA

·
Registered
113 Posts
Lmao

Picture this...Seer Council on jetbikes; not only do they get a +1 to their toughness, they also get a 3+ armor save on top of their 4+ invulnerable. Try pinning em in CC with that and yer usually out of luck. Eldar jetbikes boost away in the assault phase.
Another scenario: Eldrad Ulthran, 5 Warlocks. Eldrad can use up to 3 powers in one turn, 2 of them the same. The Warlocks can all have Singing Spears, thus owning any vehicle they come across, not to mention Eldritch Storm (Farseer power)which can shred your tank AND face it away. In one fell blow, there goes your 500 point tank.
Seer squads may not be indestructible, but they are nothing to laugh at.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Thats all true, but a biker seer council is a b*tch to convert, especially for someone like me whose conversion experience consists of a couple of weapon changes and a slightly botched head swap.

I'd LOVE to field a bike council, they'd fit perfectly with my Saim-hann theme, just please make me some models...

·
1,273 Posts
hmm biked warlocks i believe can be so easily made from shining spears exarchs...those with power weapons

·
Registered
313 Posts
hmm biked warlocks i believe can be so easily made from shining spears exarchs...those with power weapons
When you say "easily", what exactly do you mean? The exarch doesn't have anything that could be made to look like robes, warlock helmet or rune armour and whats more, the only way to get one would be be to buy a shining spear boxed set for what, £25, that a little high cost for a single model when I'd also need to cut up an £8 warlock for the bits I needed, not to mention I need 3 of them at least.

I'm thinking using the high elf mounted wizard from the WH range as the legs, but I've no clue how I'm going to greenstuff his cloak into my farseers cloak and make it look something approaching natural.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I will wait until the new jetbike are out in the stores before I begin converting a bike council. but that could take years.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts