Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm a fairly new chaos warrior player looking for a semi-competitive 2000 point list, I don't really like knights so I plan to focus on Chaos warrior blocks. I put ??? next to all the things I was unsure about so advice about those subjects will be MUCH appreciated. Please butcher this list! I want it to be as good as posible.

Heroes 666 (lmao a good sign)
Exalted Hero
Mark of Khorne
Juggernaut of Khorne (0+save)?
Sword of might???
Shield???
Unsure of his equipment would an enchanted shield even give him a bonus? should i give him a great weapon or different magic weapon?

Exalted Hero
Battle Standard
Banner of the gods
Deamonic Mount??? (worth the points?)
Shield???

Chaos Sorcerer
2 Dispel Scroll
Chaos steed

Core 1008
12 Chaos warriors 180
Mark of Nurgle
Shields
12 Halberds
Champion
Standard
Musician
(I play against Empire reguraly and my opponent always brings the Van Horstman Speculum, champions are required)

12 Chaos Warriors
Mark of Khorne
Shields
Additional Hand wep
Champion
Standard bearer
Musician

5 Marauder Horsemen
Flails
Mark of Khorne

5 Marauder Horsemen
Flails
Mark of Khorne

10 Chaos Marauders
10 Great weapons
10 Chaos Marauders
10 Great weapons
10 Chaos Marauders
10 Great weapons
(I should have almost as many troops as my opponents)

5 Dogs
5 Dogs
5 Dogs
5 Dogs
(4 screens that work with the Giant, gurantees that my infantry make it into combat, hopefully i can overload my opponent with too many options to shoot at)

Special 105
3 Ogres
(they can either act as an Anvil unit for my cavalry or giant and as a flanker for my infantry)

Rare
Giant 225
(Works with the screens,if he doesint get shot to pieces he can either support the warrior blocks or get some flank charges)

·
Registered
185 Posts
Honestly, im a noob, but from what I understand, 4 units of dogs is way too much. 2 maybe 3, probably 2 because your not fielding any khorne knights, and 4 will just clogg up the line. Also, since youre fielding lots of infanrty, I would suggest a banner of the gods on a bsb. Makes your troops stubborn and stubborn nurgle warriors are very upsetting. I play againstg empire alot too, and the spectum just pisses me off, does anyone know how to beat a van horstman warrior priest?

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive played with 4 units of dogs and even though ive read in many places that 4 is too many; I feel they are thebare minimum. Perhaps its just my play style but they never get in the way (they justdie)

I have thebanner on the Exalted Hero

Thanks for the help so far. I'm ordering some more models tommorow so PLEASE if anyone else can help me out I'd like to get a solid list before spending more money.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Btw your deamonic mount on the BSB is a waste, for 35 pts you can get a 20" fly move and a 6+ ward save with a disk, if you really want to spend 50 points, you could add a shield and flail. Some extra stopping power, plus the disk can get right behind your warriors and make them stubborn, really effective with a infantry heavy list. I think the disk looks cooler too.

And what is the jugger running with, he's best with knights, otherwise, for 200+ points you could run a really mean lord on foot, or take the BSB on foot, and make the lord on disk a hero seeking missile, just slaughtering anything he runs into.

·
367 Posts
What Danaman has described is chalk and cheese both have different purposes and should not be compared. BUT what he has suggested is a very good way to go.

For your lord i would take the Crimson Armour, Collar of Khorne, Sword of Might and a shield.
Run him by himself, Cannot take more than 1 wound, Cannot be killing blowed, Has an awesome Armour save and can still hit like a ton of bricks. (awesome model too)

However more popular lord options on this board are:
Mark of Nurgle, Runesword, Armour of Damnation, Eye of the Gods on a steed and shield. (Makes him damn hard to hit (5's with a re-roll) and 6 S6 Attacks)

Mark of Tzeentch, Crimson Armour, Axe of Khorne, Talisman of Protection shield, steed.
Immune to killing blow, will only take 1 wound per hit max, 1+ AS, 5+ ward and 5 S6 attacks with killing blow. (loose killing blow by taking the sword of might and make him even cheaper)

Last but not least this hobby is expensive enough, see if you can play some games with proxy units even pieces of paper with the unit name and number of models in the unit and cross off the models as they die.

Test the list first and make sure it suits your style and works first before you buy and save your money

The reason i say this is because magic and cavalry are the two things Warriors of Chaos do best and you are choosing to handicap yourself of our two best elements

There are 4 phases in the game
Movement
Magic
Shooting
Combat

In my opinion you need to dominate one of these areas, compete in two others to win a game. Your list only attempts to dominate combat and looses all the rest. The stubborn may make up for lack of movement but i have my doubts, after saying that i have seen great players take unusual lists and be highly successful with them

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Those are all great Lord builds (I saved them for later use) but right now I only really have space for an Exalted Hero, should i put the collar of khorne on the current khorne hero to try and mimic the khorne lord build you suggested?

The bonus from the Deamonic Mount is the extra 2S5 attacks, and if I put the BSB on the disk will he be able to fight in the unit? I assume yes but how many chaos warriors would be able to fight in the front rank with the BSB? although being able to fly my BSB around to where I need him the most on the table would be VERY nice in a low M army like this.

by the way, why don't i ever see any Chaos Lords mounted on Manticores? they seem expensive but 4 Flying/killing blow S5 attacks and terror bombing seems worth it, am I missing something that makes the setup uncompetitive?

Thanks for the help everyone! and keep the suggestions coming; is my core, special, and rare selection okay?
rep+

·
Registered
185 Posts
Personnaly, i think that if youre running two units of warriors along with a giant and four units and dogs, the ogres are going to be less than effective, particularly without chaos armour, and the warrioirs will be plenty of anvils, and the lots of blocks of marauders will be good enough. I would suggest droping the ogres and moving some points around to get some khorne knights, they could run with your jugger lord to really hurt people, I still would really suggest the BSB on disk, I've won my last 2 games on my warriors being stubborn.

Btw, how do you deal with van horstmann's spectum, I just cant run my brawler list when I play against empire, I just can't stand it!

What Danaman has described is chalk and cheese both have different purposes and should not be compared. BUT what he has suggested is a very good way to go.
Dont know if I quite understand (forgive my stupidity LMAO)

·
367 Posts
Dont know if I quite understand (forgive my stupidity LMAO)
You would use a daemonic steed differently to a disk, Daeomic steeds are beasts in combat disks are mobile one is a sledgehammer the other is a scaple.

You need to choose the correct tool for your list not what is the "better option" Many people like to choose all the best options but many times this does not make an effective army. Similar to a team of champions will generaly loose to a champion team. One is a bunch of individuls the other works together for a common goal.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Oooo, ok thanks, sorry i didn't quite understand, and about van horstman's spectum, I still dont really have an answer on how to stop that thing, my combat exalted really gets hurt when he has to run a warrior priest's statline.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have a thread in this army section where i asked how to fight the Vanhorstman, but I'll summarize
-use the special deamonic gift attacks
-use equipment that boosts your stats or gives you bonuses in combat, remember that you dont exchange equipment or special rules.
-avoid the model that probably has it
-unit champions, saves you for a round of combat (half my battles are against Empire so my lists always have them)

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/warriors-chaos/184633-horstman-speculum.html#post1605460

I'll try out both the steed and disk, either way at least 1 warrior unit will be stubborn.

Heroes 696
Exalted Hero
Mark of Khorne
Juggernaut of Khorne (0+save)
Sword of might
Collar of Khorne
Favor of the Gods
Shield

Exalted Hero
Battle Standard
Banner of the gods
Deamonic Steed
Shield

Chaos Sorcerer
2 Dispel Scroll
Chaos steed

Core 958
12 Chaos warriors
Mark of Nurgle
Shields
12 Halberds
Champion
Standard
Musician

12 Chaos Warriors
Mark of Khorne
Shields
Additional Hand wep
Champion
Standard bearer
Musician

5 Marauder Horsemen
Flails
Mark of Khorne

5 Marauder Horsemen
Flails
Mark of Khorne

10 Chaos Marauders
10 Great weapons
10 Chaos Marauders
10 Great weapons

5 Dogs
5 Dogs
5 Dogs
5 Dogs

Special 120
3 Ogres
Chaos Armor

Rare
Giant

Ok, a few tweaks:
Added the Collar of Khorne to the General, figured this was more important because of my weak magic defense. I also added favor to him just because I had 6 points free and couldint think of anything else to spend it on.
I'm going to make up an alternate list using a disc on the BSB and play test both mounts, but since I just finished the Deamonic Steed model I wanted to give it a try first.
Added Chaos armor to the ogres so they can be better anvils, I'm not sure how I'd jiggle another 130ish points to pick up the knights without drastically changing the list.
I dropped a unit of 10 Marauders to give me points for these changes, think the extra wargear will be more effective then the 10 men?

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yeah, I agree about the marauders, and I still feel like a unit of khorne knights would devastate with your jugger, and when he joins a unit, he give his magic res. to the unit, an almost magic immune frenzied knights unit is horrifying, add the banner of rage instead and they will keep that frenzy, and the jugger will just eat people alive (litterally) B) and the unit of knights is a total game changer imo.

·
367 Posts
Combine the 2 marauder units into 1 give them light armor and shield and drop the GW.

Chances are they will not be doing the charges and be cut to pieces before they can strike anyway.

At least with Light and shield they will have a 4+ AS and with full command CR5 and mark them Slaanesh (drop a unit of dogs if required) give a nice solid bunker for mages too. This unit will be looking to win on CR not wounds.

You should have enough points to mark the giant Slaanesh as well to make it ASF

·
Registered
185 Posts
Yeah that's true, I'm not a big fan of ogre's, but if you want them that's fine, I would also considerdropping them for a unit of 20 marauders, combine the other blocks of 10 into 20, so you will have 2 blocks of 20 marauders, give them great weapons and you've got 20 points to play around with, maybe mark them slaanesh, but overall I like the list

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
alright thanks again for all the help!

I may not get a chance to playtest this list untill next weekend but I'll post the results if I get the chance.

·
Registered
558 Posts
if you want to deal with a stat stealing priest i know its unusual but accept with a wizard with a warrior familair? or the Bloodskull pendant, not a huge drop in stats, your magic fist will do a wound and you can finish the job with still hittong and wounding on 4's, and if he is on foot shouldnt have better than 3+ save in combat, its not the most stable strategy in the world, but better than nothing (also as noted word of agony works a treat)

oh and to answer an ealier question an enchanted shield would give you a -1+ armor save the only other model that can is the saurus oldblood, and is only armor save good enough to stop str 10 (you get a 6+ :))

also drop a unit of doggies and give your ogres great weapons (same cost)

also drop some marauders (1 unit maybe) to bulk up them warriors units a bit, your not undead, 12 isnt enough to reach the other end of the table and it will take you 3 turns against a static kill you at range army, thats chaos's biggest problem, maybe you could drop the giant for a hellcannon? just try it out, theyre sweet and i very rarely see a giant reach combat, or atleast find the point for a mark(tzeentch or slaanesh) either to keep him alive or to beat down a cavalry charge

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
hmmm a -1+ armor save is pretty nice...

The giant is there to act as a second line of screening, since everything is about the same threat level I expect the giant (which probably wont do much damage anyway) to go down.
1st turn worse case scenario:
giant goes down and maybe a unit of dogs
2nd turn:
rest of the dogs go down
3rd turn:
he blows away either 1 unit (probably a warrior unit) and everything else gets into combat relatively okay

at least thats the way I hope it goes :p

And yes I agree that Warrior Familliars are a decent way for your casters to get around the Van Horstman

1 - 16 of 16 Posts