Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Professional Lurker
2,085 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone ever noticed that the imperial guard sential their scout sets off the alarm in sentries scenarios

·
Registered
696 Posts
if i remember right 10 guardsmen are senries not a sentinal

·
Registered
237 Posts
well, from what i can make out from his weird ass spelling, i think he means that vehicles set off the alarm, which he thinks is weird. my answer to this is that they are a 'reconoissance' vehicle, not an infiltration unit, notice that that is why the army list doesnt use infiltrators. see, its abit hard to not get spotted when you are taller than a dreadnought.

orestes, i think he meant the above, not that you cant take sentinels as sentires, any, cheers

·
Formerly BrotherAzriel
2,373 Posts
Yup just recon Vehicles, they Run Forward, (usualy still quite a distance away) Have a good peek, and if they get seen they run away

OR

They walk a lil ahed of the main Battle line so if any opposeing forces are heading their way they wont be surpprised

·
Registered
664 Posts
IMO he's just trying to make a joke out of the wording as Sentinels are considered the IG scouts and indeed can infiltrate in game terms. The thing is; it you take it into account the usual size of IG vehicles then the Sentinels are indeed smal, tiny even.... :D

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
yeah imagine that... you think that big engine on their back would be quiet or something?... perhaps they shouldn't use diesel engines... :lol:

·
Registered
183 Posts
Oh boy, this is horrible. Loud engines going stealth.....hhmmmm. I want one

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
In my experiance, the purpose of recon vehicles is to break down or tip over somewhere in the dark in front of your own Tank squadron which is piling towards you at full speed without much visibility at all in 50+ ton monsters whilst you are stood on top of the now defunct scout vehicle waving a torch in the air like mad and lamenting the point in the shop when you bought the torch and thought "wow what a cool little torch with thos red filters no one will be able to see it, I will never want one of those whitle light laser torches"

Trust me on this one, it is a bowel opening experiance

·
Registered
99 Posts
WHAT?!?!
anyway
yes sentinels do set off the alarm... so hold them in reserve... if i remember correctly you aren't forced to start with them... but you MAY start with them in play instead of as reserves

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
i say just say "screw sneaky" and start with everything out on 1st turn. just blast away. it'll catch your opponent off guard :lol:

·
Son of LO
2,160 Posts
It's amazing how much fire these things draw when they appear on the table. I've seen people just completely ignore much more valuable targets just to kill these. I guess that deep in our subconscious everyone has a little Ewok in them....

·
Registered
76 Posts
i dunno, to me sentinels seem like pointsinks - 45-60 or 70pts a pop for something that has a strong tendancy to up and explode is pretty hard to justify in my armylist - i'd rather take a squad, that at least takes some (though not a whole lot) of work to defeat - sentinels just sit there shook and stunned until finally blowing apart - how that is worth it's points i'll never truly understand personally.

i find sents great for fluff but poor on the battlefield ... then again i only have one and have been told i should just get more and play using more and that solves their worthlessness issue but who knows, not I :)

·
Registered
696 Posts
A sentinal for its points can do a number of things. It can draw fire(i think its due to be so damn tall), add some fire power to a front, and most importantly be sacificed in close combat. Anything that is str 3 cant hurt it which is pretty funny. Even models with str 4 can only hurt it with 6's and rarly but sometimes it takes a turn or two to get rid of it.

·
Registered
2,096 Posts
well, i believe there's a couple threads on these lil guys. but anyways...

if you only play with one sentinel and perhaps a chimera or tank, you're going to find that they die extremly fast.
however, if you're fielding multiple sentinels, multiple chimeras, and multiple tanks. you'll probably get more use out of your sentinels. it takes a medium strength gun to reliably take out a sentienl (Str 7 or 8). true Str 4 in large numbers is a deathwish, but if you're smart you'll avoid them. so if your enemy wants to waste an autocannon shot on your sentinel instead of your chimera, or a missle launcher on your sentinel instead of your Russ, then let him!!

target saturation. why have one, when you can have two for twice the price???

·
Registered
18 Posts
Originally posted by Cheredanine@Jun 7 2004, 07:19
In my experiance, the purpose of recon vehicles is to break down or tip over somewhere in the dark in front of your own Tank squadron which is piling towards you at full speed without much visibility at all in 50+ ton monsters whilst you are stood on top of the now defunct scout vehicle waving a torch in the air like mad and lamenting the point in the shop when you bought the torch and thought "wow what a cool little torch with thos red filters no one will be able to see it, I will never want one of those whitle light laser torches"

Trust me on this one, it is a bowel opening experiance
[snapback]165064[/snapback]​
Roger that.

Heh, DATs

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.