Librarium Online Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
as i am a somewhat avid mechwarrior fan (also japanese mecha) i always had the idea to convert a sentinel squad into a pack of recon mechs (fromt he games if anyone has got it) this is mainly the inclusion of missile packs (represented as either hk mislsile or vdr missile launcher {15pts}) i just wanted to know if anyone knows how to make it, because i have a few sketches but i cant get them up online. i was thinkin of makin the inside structural frame of balsa wood and then layeing plasticard ontop to make the armored effect, and would make it more solid, any suggestions?

·
Registered
969 Posts
you could use som Battletech minis, considering Battletech IS Mechwarrior.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
iu really dont like the battletech models, they look shoddy, and i want to make them, but im thinkin on wat thickness theuy shud be, maybe about the size of the sm dred mssle launcher?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Typhoon missile launchers?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Could use them, they have the right look...

By the way... anyone here have any good ideas on how I can make sentinels "swamp proof".
I have invented my own IG regiment based on a swampy world and I need some idea on haow to make the vehicles able to traverse the swamp... without having to change any rules.
I was thinking of making all vehicles like hovercraft, but then the problem with the sentinel struck me... how an I supposed to make them swamp conversions of them.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Maybe put leaves on the top, and like small blades on the bottom. So it cuts down a path? Or, you could put two IGsmen with chainsaws in front of it, so THEY'RE cutting a path. I know, I'm crazy.

·
Professional Lurker
2,085 Posts
rewally big feet to pontoon across the swamp

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I have been thinking of making chimera and leman russ hover crafts, but the idea of making a sentinel hover is a bit crazy if you ask me.
I have been thinking of stilts or something, but the idea doesn't sound good as the fluff I am preparing indicates that the planet is almost one giant bottomless tundra swamp.
I have been thinking of almost some sort of rubber boats on it's feet, but I'm ot sure how good it'll look.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well, if you made the base hovercraft (i.e. the rubber thingy) then have the sentinel torso on top as a pivoting weapon platform, prolly with heavy flamer...

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Yeah that could be something, but how will the opponent react?
Besides I want the general sentinel look to still be there, the two legs.
The planet I'm basing the fluff around is a tundra and swamp planet, not a complete swamp planet, I want the sentinels to be able to travel on solid ground too. I'm not saying that a hover craft can't do so, but it looks better with the two legs.
The latest I have been thinking about is maybe making the sentinel "feet" bigger, making the area which the sentinel spreads his weight on bigger, maybe even adding some sort of mesh between the legs to spread the weight even more.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You could go the whole nine yards with the whole swamp idea,
every tank could be a large hovercraft, sentinals could be smaller ones.

Or howabout sentinals are buggies with fat tyres, and a multi laser is mounted on a frame with the rear guy fireing it over the drivers head.

As for just swap proofing sentinals, start with the catachan sentinals. Widening the feet a bit, and add some mud gaurds up the "shins". This will make the legs look bulkier, and the sentinal less top heavy.
Maybe put a flamer on each leg to burn your way out, or some chain saws. Top is all off with lots of swamp camo, foliage etc.

·
Registered
857 Posts
I like my brother's idea. A converted tank with, instead of a dozer blade, two guys with chainswords in front of it... or you could mount IG troops with flamers on the sponsons and say they burn away a path...

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I'm going with my previous idea now.
I'm gonna make the feet really large almost like the things you use when walking through deep snow to stop you from going really deep in.

I'm gonna expand the "toes" with maybe 1 inch and add some mesh of some sort between them.
For the time being I have dropped the idea of hovercraft tanks altogether, I might come back to that later.
I'm writing the fluff on my army now so when I got that ready you will understand my choices. The fat wheeled buggy idea is really good, but It wound be very useful on the planet I'm basing the troops on.

·
Venerable Old One
1,510 Posts
Ah, the wonders of conversion.

There are several ideas I had while going over this topic for modelling the sort of modification you intend to do now.

The first I had was to have a load of those cocktail sticks interlaced underneath each foot, with a selection of mud and plant matter all over them.

The second was the mesh idea, which posed significantly more problematic.

The best I can think of is to try and find some surgical gauze, put it in some water + PVA mix, take it out and let it harden overnight. Next day, cut out the template of your choice, and paint. Simple. :D

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
I got another idea...
I have some very fine wire mesh I was thinking of using.
First I'll just position the legs, either standing or make the sentinel walking or running.
If standing the "toes" will fold out over the the base with the mesh between them.
If running the legs will be bent backwards and the "toes" bendt in the opposite direction of the movement and then the mesh between them again.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Flying sentinel, maybe? A huge jetpack?

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
That could be used although then the standard sentinel would be a skimmer and then I have to add lots of new rules for the sentinels.
I would prefer to still have them hug the terrain, and besides I ave come up with the idea I will use, so thanks for all help.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.