Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
so in my new army list I thought I would take some Sentinels.

Question One:
is it worth while to take the armoured crew compartment?

Question two:
I was thinking about taking the heavy flammer because of the assault benefits. would this be worth while? if not what wepon do you suggest?

also, I think that the sentinels should be able to be equiped with al heavy stubber/storm bolter (think the AT-SC walkers from star wars [chicken walkers] with the guns on its "cheek's"/"chin" ...but maybe that's just me. any help comments would be wonderful.

Thank you.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Korim Trucebane said:
so in my new army list I thought I would take some Sentinels.

Question One:

Question two:
I was thinking about taking the heavy flammer because of the assault benefits. would this be worth while? if not what wepon do you suggest?

also, I think that the sentinels should be able to be equiped with a co-axil heavy stubber...but maybe that's just me. any help comments would be wonderful.

Thank you.

One: Yes and no... most of the time your sentinels will die quickly and horribly, so most of the time it won't make a difference. However, I usually end up using them on the off chance that they make the difference...

Two: It depends on who you're facing: Flamers should only really be used in combination wsith the hardened fighters doctrine, as otherwise there's no point in taking the sentinel into close combat. Even then, sentinels aren't dreadnoughts, they're more like mobile heavy weapon platforms. If you throw them at the right squad, however, they can end up doing quite a number.

That having been said, Lascannons are great anti-vehicle, anti- termie guns. Autocannons are good against Tau and Scout Marines, as they can negate their armor and damage light to medium vehicles. Multi-Lasers are good against anything with a 6+ save (horde armies) or as an alternative against space marines when you're more worried about quantity rather than quality.

Three: Well, there's no axial to "co-" the storm bolter to :) There are quite a few things we'd prefer or think would make sense... me? I like cheap walkers that my opponent has to waste his firepower on instead of my tanks

·
646 Posts
Korim Trucebane said:
Question One:
No, no, no, never ever ever!

A 40-55pts Sentinel just isn't worth the investment. You are paying 30%+ of it's points to give it the most minor resiliance against hits which have already inflicted damage. This upgrade will only ever offer it the tiniest little bit of survivability. For a unit that is cheap and throwaway you should never consider it IMO.

Question two:
Difficult question, Korim. As kidsyndrome said, it all depends who or what you are facing, and also - what role the Sentinel has in your army.

Strangley enough I had never considered H.Flamers on Sentinels until about a week ago, but I'm quite warming up to them now (no pun intended!).
Look at it this way: the Scout move makes the Sentinel one of the fastest units to get accross the board firing, and you would need to roll a double 1 to have it killed in difficult terrain, so bring this baby up in some cover and it can be flaming infiltrators on turn 1.
Also, if you are expecting an army to be assaulting you (and let's face it: as guard - you are) then as long as they have armour 3+ or below, these things can decimate their lines.

I used to favour the Autocannon on my Sentinels, but on a BS3 unit, it is only getting 1 hit a turn, and the Multilaser isn't much better for the sacrifices it makes. The Lascannon always seems a waste, as you are paying extra to have a single shot weapon on a BS3 model. IMO, Lascannons are best kept on cheaper units in more stationary positions - as the Lascannon Sentinels will want to stay at the back of your army anyway.

At 40pts, the H.Flamer Sentinel is not only the cheapest, but can also potentialy hit more units than all the others put together. It's profile is not far off an Autocannon, and realisticaly it isn't difficult to get 5 men under a flamer template - beats 1. Ok, it's range is short, but this weapon is generaly best used on units assaulting you - and even against marine equivilents, a Heavy Flamer sentinel will kill a lot more per point than a Lascannon Sentinel.

So I would have to answer yes. Try out the HF Sentinel and tell me if you have any success with it, as I will be trying it out too over the next few weeks.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Autocannon's are amazing for sentinels by far the most effective weapon you can give them, they have a 75% chance to hit at least once with a strength 7 weapon. This makes them exceptional transport and walker hunter, most people wont waste shots on them so they have free reign. If your lucky you can sometimes flank enemy armor and get side shots as well. Speaking from personally experience my AC Sentinel has a high surviablity rate, as well as a very high kill rate (probably better then my Russ's) so it always pays it points back and more.

I usually play at one Lascannon sentienel as well, yes BS 3 is makes for unrelyable shooting but I look at as a mobile Heavy weapons team thats safe from small arms fire. While it is not nearly as effective as the AC, it provides a much need 2nd chance when your other Guard misses.

As far as upgrades go nothing is really worth it, the idea of a hunter killer missle intriges me (an extra S8 shot when you need it seems handy) but I have yet to implement it.

I could see sentienls in assualt only if you are playing anything with S3, Eldar, Guard, Ork. That way you tie up an entire squad for the rest of the game. Try it out see if it works.

Reactions: jerre

·
durus
2,578 Posts
One your question one: I won't add to Xethemez's very accurate reply, it was perfect.

Question two: I would say yes if you are playing a droptrooping army. I suppose you could use them as a counter charge unit, but otherwise they will never get in range to flame anything.

I actually like a squad of three Multi-Laser Sentinals. Most Meq players ingnore Multilaser sentinals, until they start pulling off heaps of marines! No better weapon than a Multilaser for MEQS in cover, and is good at popping Rhino's who have blown smoke.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Xethemez said:
a Heavy Flamer sentinel will kill a lot more per point than a Lascannon Sentinel.
I don't necessarily agree with you here. Yeah, I heavy flamer sentinel CAN kill more statistically, but I would say in terms of gameplay and function the Lascannon is a better play. Sentinels will normally last until the later rounds of a battle due to the fact that they have a lower priority than most other models/units. Even though it is BS3, you will still be hitting with those lascannons half the time meaning you have a 50/50 chance of destroying or disabling that menacing enemy tank on your first turn. If you are going for an assault guard army (not recommended), then yeah, obviously you would probably take the heavy flamer. I believe, however, that sentinels are best used as a mobile heavy weapon platform to take out high priority targets such as tanks and dreadnoughts, and if used in this way, should normally be able to earn back at least twice their points cost.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
The tactic I always use for my Armagedon Sentinals is to place them next to a higher priority armour target. I park one next to a Leman or Demolisher, and they tend not to get shot at this way, at least until the other tank gets pummelled.

·
646 Posts
I agree with you all that a Lacannon or an Autocannon Sentinel potentialy has more usefulness and survivability on the battlefield, and particularly the Multi-laser against MEQs. But I have never had considerable success with any of the multi-shot patterns and am interested if any of you have ever given the HF Sentinel a fair run in game.

Normaly I arm my Sentinels with Autocannons and go infantry/light tank hunting, but after many games they rarley earn their points. After all, on a BS3 model, an Autocannon is likley to kill a single 10pts model if you are lucky, however, for light tank hunting they do excell.

I also went through a phase of using Lascannon Sentinels, but the problem is that with a 50% chance of hitting you are effectivley paying 110pts to get 1 hit per-turn. For this price you could buy a 3-lascannon support squad. So is the Sentinel really worth it?

I have only recently began to toy with the idea of HF Sentinels, and I have never taken one in the field yet, but I am wondering if anybody has ever used them before.
My idea is not to use them as a counter-charge unit (unless the squad happens to be all Str3) but to set them up in the terrain and intercept and flame incoming charges. As long as you get close, the HF will be killing more light infantry than any other pattern, and would even rival the ML at killing MEQs (though neither of them are particularly good at it).

·
Registered
42 Posts
the HF: I considered them many times, only to include the multilaser. I think even when (if) you get a good shot, they will be to vulnerable. But, i've only tried them twice.

I like the AC and Multi better, because they fullfill a more important role on the battlefield. Because they can move and fire and move through cover without danger, they can often snipe at targets that are sneaking behind cover. Everybody hates Multimelta-equipped Landspeeders that hide after cover within 24" of your Russ, right?

Further, in escalation games, the walkers can spend a turn or two to get into an ideal position to harass transports or sides of tanks.

If I were 50 cent, I'd say the AC sentinel is tha bomb, a-ight? :D

·
646 Posts
jerre said:
LOL Jerrre, 50-cent strikes me more as a Sisters player. But point taken, I tend to play against an Eldar player that prefers monstrous creatures to tanks, so the role of the AC Sent always seems a little lost in my games. The next game I have is against Nids, so if anything this is a perfect time for me to give the HF a test run anyway.

At the moment I'm fielding a lot of different unconventional lists, so this game should be a very big test for me.

·
Registered
182 Posts
jerre said:
If you could field 50 Cent as your HQ, would you then have to field "G-Units" instead of normal infantry units? :)

Man... I am such a dork... :tongue:

·
646 Posts
kidsyndrome said:
If you could field 50 Cent as your HQ, would you then have to field "G-Units" instead of normal infantry units?
Special Equipment: Bling-Bling, some regiments originating from Ghetto Worlds such as Necromunda wear various trophies colectivley known as "Bling" which strike fear into the hearts of their enemies. All units assaulting a squad with the Bling-Bling upgrade must take a morale test. This upgrade costs 10pts per squad.

·
Registered
42 Posts
new upgrade for the Chimera: 24" Spinning Rims, cromated. Assaulting troops lose an attack because they are blinded by/ obsessed with the bling rims. The vehicle can't drive through difficult terrain any more as it might damage the chrome."

The HF might work against the Nids, but you have to get close enough to use it. Nids have plenty of firepower that's strong enough to take our little walker out, not to mention sharp claws if they assault.

But if you can flame some gaunts, it will be great. And if you assault them, they'll be trapped in combat for a long time.

With a ML version, I'd been in close combat with some gaunts for some turns, until some warriors came to the eat my walker and free the gaunts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
One of the best uses for a HF sentinal is against Nids. I dont mean the big stopy ones, thats suicide.

But against a swarm of hgaunts who's strength is only 3, it can tie them up and fight on un scathed. I suppose if you'r going to use it in close combat then it should shine against those generic troops. Just nothing with strength 4 or more.

I dont play sentinals at the moment but I plan on using 1 with an AC and 2 with LC's. not in same squad obviosly. That way I can deal with termies and still have the AC to provide covering fire on troops.

·
Registered
14 Posts
i must say that te cc compartment is very worth while :)

and as for choice of weapon i have to say the lascannon is the best it has saved me many times usually taking out my mates landraider last turn ;) and coupled with a hunter killer missile it can pack a punch against vehicles (if used properly)

·
Registered
268 Posts
colonel muffin said:
i must say that the cc compartment is very worth while :)

and as for choice of weapon i have to say the lascannon is the best it has saved me many times usually taking out my mates landraider last turn ;) and coupled with a hunter killer missile it can pack a punch against vehicles (if used properly)
Im with that guy!

my only use for sentinels is mobile anti-armour platforms and the only weapon i have ever used on them is the LC, granted i do seem to roel alot of 4s for my to-hit roles the BS of 3 doesn't really bother me!

Go Armoured Crew Compartments!!!!

although im the crazy guy who never takes tanks in his army so my opinion on sentinels might be just a bit biased.

·
646 Posts
I couldn't disagree more! ACC is an additional 15pts, which is going to be about a 30% pts increase for you. To put that into perspective: 3 Lascannon sentinels could have been 4.

As for your chances of resisting an attack: any kind of damage is generaly going to be bad news for a Sentinel, it may very well half it's chances of being destroyed on a glancing, and reduce them by 25% on a penetrating, but is it really worth it?

When I am facing tanks, as long as I have stopped it firing (or moving in the case of a transport), I consider it a victory and move onto the next tank. The second you stun a tank it is no longer a threat that turn. By this logic, the only glancing hit that will leave a Sentinel woth having is imobilised, and there are no penetratings you can get away with.

ACC does not increase your chances of getting an imobilised result over any other, so IMO it is worthless. It wouldn't even be worth 30% of cost if it did.

·
durus
2,578 Posts
I completely agree with Xethemez, ACC are a waste of points. Remember, AV 10 means most hits are penetrating, so you like dead anyway.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts