Librarium Online Forums banner

What type of surface do you game on most often?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When you set up games of 40K (Or WFB I suppose) doe you use a game board or other surface with scenery built on? Or do you use a number of movable area terrain or building pieces? And do you play more often on a regular table or special table, if you use modular?

I would like to see what other play on. All the games me and my battle partner have played are just on a kitchen table with whatever terrain we can scrounge up, usually cardboard boxes for hills and buildings, and large flat cardboard for woods.

·
Registered
759 Posts
I got my gaming board from B+Q. If you don't live in the Uk that may be not much help, but its basically a painted sheet of MDF. I bought a sheet that was four foot by eight, and had it cut up into smaller sections. I then made some scenery from foamboard and card. Its a good idea not to glue it to the board, so you can change the configuration between games.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So far it looks like most people use a board with movable terrain. Good, because if my gaming circle was going to get a gaming board, we were probably going to leave it modular.

Chad: While I do not live in the UK, knowing what materials to look out for helps. I don't really think I want to drop 300$ on the GW gaming board... What is B+Q? A store of some kind I presume.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I made my game table out of wood an i have different pieces of terrain that i can move around for different scenarios, and it is easier to store away.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone know of any good articles or sites about scratchbuilding a gaming board?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
*closing date to poll added*
I just want to let the mods know... thats twice I KNOW I set a close date, and twice a mod has said he had to add one. You might want to look into the forum innerworkings, I've seen at least one other poster mention this as well.

What sort of terrain would one reccomend for a new player to purchase? So far all we have is Ork Barricades, and we are going to get a bastion for our Planet Strike games soon. Perhaps the craters or blast scape (Although it might have been discontinued?). We we're also thinking about woods?

·
Registered
759 Posts
Yes, B+Q is a store that sells all sorts of stuff. Mostly DIY stuff, so loads of boards.They also sell loads of usefull stuff for building scenery, like pipeing...

But anyway, in terms of senery, craters are good. They are handy cover in a game, not too expensive, and generally decent value. I think someone posted a templatae for their own bastion somewhere on the net, I think it was LO but I'm not sure. Perhaps it was Warseer. You don't have to build your own, but it's a lot cheaper. Theres a good thread in the scenery section with tips.

·
Registered
356 Posts
I had to vote "instore" because I play there sometimes, but most of my games happen on the floor as that is the only place with enough room.

·
LO Ninja
1,214 Posts
I highly recommend this thread for home built stuff.

Linky: Apocalypse 40k Terrain - Page 32 - WarSeer

Bugbait also hovers around here but I've followed this thread for quite a while now. If you take the time to look at it he also makes pdfs with templates to build some of the buildings. His home made bastion (with pdf) looks absolutely ace.

PL

PS
That is the last page of the thread, just look back through it for all the goodies.

·
Scenery Shogun
917 Posts
Agreed Phoenix.

As for scenery built, if anyone is interest in custom scenery.. i'm willing to work with anyone who wants cheap paid sceenry that is high price quality.

Shonuff is available.

·
Registered
519 Posts
we got a pool table in our garage last year, so i've made some sort of cover to protect the table... ow and it 'accidentally' happend to be exactly 4 bij 6 feet.

grass cloth over it, some loose terrain on it (or under it) and you have a nice battlefield :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.