Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should I take Sharpshooters or Carapace Armour for my 5th doctrine in an all drop troops army. My main opponents are Marines, BT, and Necrons.

The other 4 Doctrines are:
Drop Troops
Heavy Weapons Platoons (subject to change)
Special Weapons Squads
Strom Troopers

Thanks for the input,

:drinking:

·
Registered
479 Posts
Sharpshooters is, obviously, the cheaper option. However bear in mind that when you DS, you may well be left out in the open without the benefit of being able to run into some cover. Therefore, versus anyone who can shoot back ignoring flak armour (everyone then) you'll rejoice in having that 4+ carapace. Not so useful against necrons who bring a crap-load of ap4 mind you.

Carapace = better armoured, less men
Sharpshooters = more men, marginally higher chance to hit something

Have you considered veterans as the 5th doctrine? If you take carapace, you can afford to drop storm troopers and put in veterans instead, 3 plasma guns > 2 plasma guns!!!

My money is on carapace.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Agree with age, and I suggest improve to with following:

Drop Troops
Veterens
Special Weapons Squads
Grenadier
Carapace Armour.

All bs 4 drop troops infantry with 4+ save, each carry at least 2 special weapons!

·
Registered
168 Posts
grenadiers can't deep strike or infiltrate.
My understanding was this was meant as a way of distinguishing grenadiers from stormtroopers. However, I was also under the impression that if you spent another doctrin point on Drop Troops, then it superceeded this unit restriction (ie: giving units that are not allowed to deep strike the ability to do so; just as the mechanized doctrin gives a unite the ability to take a chimera even if it normally would not be able to)...
...maybe i'm wrong in this (admiteddly I have never used a drop troop army)

·
2,399 Posts
My understanding was this was meant as a way of distinguishing grenadiers from stormtroopers. However, I was also under the impression that if you spent another doctrin point on Drop Troops, then it superceeded this unit restriction (ie: giving units that are not allowed to deep strike the ability to do so; just as the mechanized doctrin gives a unite the ability to take a chimera even if it normally would not be able to)...
...maybe i'm wrong in this (admiteddly I have never used a drop troop army)
Nope, Drop troops doctrine, can only affect "guardsmen" , the codex's specification of which is line squads, command squads, etc etc but not including grenadiers.
also, even if it did Grenadiers has: this unit may not deep strike or infiltrate - even if you purchase it (you can if you really wanted to) you can't actually deep strike or drop.
This makes them more trooper like in my book - they need a restriction (well, they don't really, but in comparison to a ELITE choice). Frankly I relly think it was a sales pitch to sell more chimeras.

·
Set Sail and Conquer!
1,633 Posts
stayscrunchyinmilk is right - you can't ever deep strike or infiltrate grenadiers, not in a standard game anyway.

Storm troopers are a better bet for that kind of thing - I just took a drop troops army to a tournament down here in oz, added some storm troopers for a bit of flavour.

As to your original question, I'd personally feel like taking neither sharp shooters OR carapace armour, just try and drop your dudes in or behind terrain.

Neither of those two doctrines actually pay for themselves, stat wise.

However, as you said you will be playing mostly against opponents with all AP5 or better weaponry, take carapace armour. You might drop in the open, and as Age said. (Just remember, the only bad drop troops terrain is IMPASSIBLE terrain, and you'll be fine!)

I'd be tempted to take out the heavy weapons platoon, and replace it with something else, like close order drill, which is free. And you might need it - you'll already be bunched up in btb, so you might get the chance to use it.

As for the heavy weapons platoon, you can get just about as many heavy weapons attached to your HQ officer, with the added bonus of being able to deploy as a HQ choice (ie, after all your opponents heavy support are down). This is one of the biggest advantages available to an IG player, so if you want to go down the heavy weapon squad path, I'd do it that way instead.

I must admit though, a drop trooping veteran squad can be your friend! 3 plasma or 3 melta, maybe a powerfist, and bob's your fathers brother.

(I suppose you could always just drop in 7 demolition charges instead, what with the last chancers and 2 special weapon squads! But thats just nasty, and is frowned upon in most UN charters.)

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for the input!

Here is now my current doctrines. I have 4, now i only need a 5th Whatdya think?

Drop Troops
Carapace Armour
Vetrerans
Special Wrapons Squad
???????????

Thanks for the help!

:drinking:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.