Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know how the rest of you feel, but personally, I hate the GW fascination with mohawks. How can we get the British to understand that mohawks aren't that cool or badass? Should we mail the GW home office a style magazine, with all the pages that show current hairdos marked?

Honestly, even during the 1980's when mohawks were sorta cool, they weren't THAT cool.

Please GW... drop the mohawks. Shaved heads are way cooler now adays. So are more normal haircuts.

·
The Alchemist
699 Posts
Warhammer isn't based on current style and/or fashion, it's a fantasy world.

EDIT: 'Mohawks' were also used a lot in Roman armies, which are similar to a lot of Warhammer armies.

·
Always Fabulous
1,742 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean. The only models I can think of at the moment who have mohawks are the Ultramarine Honour Guard and Dire Avengers. I actually think there are more topknots than mohawks...

Could you give some examples?

·
Master of the Crab Women
1,007 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean. The only models I can think of at the moment who have mohawks are the Ultramarine Honour Guard and Dire Avengers. I actually think there are more topknots than mohawks...

There's not as many mohawks as there used to be. The ones on the honour guard and dire avengers are headcrests really. The mohawk has really just died out.

Topknots however...

·
Registered
38 Posts
Heretic! Mohawks are the coolest haircut in the world after the Prussian military cut! Every army should have them, including Sisters of Battle!
There's a few figures with actual 'hawks floating around. Escher and Goliath gangers from Necromunda, Catachans, and of course Dwarf Slayers. They were much more common on the old models (SM Scouts come to mind). I disagree with the above comment, 'hawks are the shit. If I ran GW I'd bring them back in force. Especially with Sisters:)

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

The Eldar harlies
The new daemonettes
The Witch Hunter Inquisitor
And the Kroot.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Some of my Cadians have mohawk heads from the Catachan range, I think they fit quite well. Depends on the army, long hair and top knots would look daft on Cadians practically any officer would have you on a charge for presenting the enemy with a nice handle, on Eldar mohawks, as a hair style, would look pretty severe for pretty boy Space Elves.

·
Always Fabulous
1,742 Posts
I dunno, the "feathers" that stick out the back of their head hang down like normail hair, or dreadlocks. Well, not exactly dreadlocks but you know what I mean. I hardly think that counts as a mohawk...

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
I don't have too much trouble with the mohawk. Certainly, some of them look extremely stupid, like the dwarf slayers. But even that fits with the slayers.
And mohawks still do exist. Some of the space marines have them, but GW got smart, and started going for the tight close-to-the-scalp mohawk.
Really, you'd expect for the militaristic races to cut their hair very short or shave it. There's a good line in 'FightClub', where the main character says
"fight club BECAME the reason you cut your hair, shaved your beard, and trimmed your finger nails"
if anyone isn't familiar with the film, it's about no-rules hand to hand combat. In that situation, you don't want anyone to be able to latch onto your face. So no, long hair should be out, especially that topknot.

But then, it's a fantasy game, and some cultures actually did cultivate 'battle hair'. Mesopotamian warriors were judged by their dreadlocks. Spartans were also known to have dreadlocks. Samurai were fans of the topknots. Really, most cultures had a system with hair, even English knights wore their hair longer than we would expect. So i guess the hawks would fall into the same category.

And they really do look badass, and they may have gone out of style, but look at every anti-authoritarian punk. They're sporting hawks just as much as our hard nosed GW soldiers.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Originally Posted by CaptainSarathai
But then, it's a fantasy game, and some cultures actually did cultivate 'battle hair'. Mesopotamian warriors were judged by their dreadlocks. Spartans were also known to have dreadlocks. Samurai were fans of the topknots. Really, most cultures had a system with hair, even English knights wore their hair longer than we would expect. So i guess the hawks would fall into the same category.
There is some interesting Viking/Danish graffitti in England where the Danes mock the English and the fact that they wore their hair long and combed it regularly. Danish men were also a hit with English women, they bathed more often, so the rumour goes.

After the Norman Conquest during the slow and painful merging of English and Norman cultures it became the fashion of Norman knights to wear their hair long just as the English thegns and huscarls used to do. This was generally frowned on by the Norman administration as a sign of "going native".

I have dabbled in re-enactment, Anglo-Saxon/Viking and in sparing/play about it can be a pain when your opponent decides to forego the use of spear for pulling you to the floor with your girly locks, but don't doubt it would have happened.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I have a space marine (part of a command squad box). A metal mini holding a auspex in one hand and pointing with the other hand and his bolter slung over his shoulder.

·
Consumate professional
2,863 Posts
They dont seem as prevalent on GW minis as they were at one time.

Anyway, whats the dig about the British liking mohawks/mohicans all about? we dont all live in 1977 you know...the only person in the public eye I can think of with that hairstyle at the moment is William Gallas a FRENCH footballer, so there :p

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
I used to have a mohawk, and i'm cool, so mohawks are cool because i had them. There... try to break that circle of logic!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.