Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am really new to Tau and do not quite understand how shield drones really work.

1) Due to allocation of the amount of wounds (2 shield drones and one commander) lets us say there are 4 wounds I have to allocate wounds to 1 unit each and if I choose to then 2 wounds to 1 drone and then 1 wound each to the rest of my units.

2) In he case of a Flamer hitting the commander can the drone take the full hit of the flames and the commander take none?

3) in the case of failing the INV Sv does the drone then get an armour save as well?

·
The deep down truth
5,714 Posts
I am really new to Tau and do not quite understand how shield drones really work.

1) Due to allocation of the amount of wounds (2 shield drones and one commander) lets us say there are 4 wounds I have to allocate wounds to 1 unit each and if I choose to then 2 wounds to 1 drone and then 1 wound each to the rest of my units.
Ok: First rule to understand is that every model eligible to receive a wound (in range etc) must be allocated one wound before any model can be allocated a second wound.
Next thing is to understand that any model with different stat lines or with different equipment must roll its own saves for any wound allocated to it.
So if the Commander and two Drones were wounded 4 times (two lascannons and 2 Bolters) then this is how it would go.
The Commander is a unique model, it has different stats and different weapons to the Drones. The Drones are identical to each other.
You would allocate a wound to each model first. In this case you would allocate the two Lascannons to the Drones and a Bolter wound to the Commander, remember you have to allocate one wound to each model before a second wound can be allocated any of them.
In this example I will allocate the Bolter wounds to the Drones for simplicity.

Now you roll the saves and because the Commander is different you only roll the one save against the Bolter wound he received. Then you would roll the saves of the Drones, you would roll two invulnerable saves for the Lascannon wounds and a normal armour save for the Bolter wound (different coloured dice) remembering that if you failed both Lascannon saves you have to remove one model for each save, you cannot claim both wounds were on one model. If you failed the Bolter save then you would lose the other Drone. Because all saves are rolled simultaneously (In game terms) then you are required to remove one model for each failed wound (single wound models). You could not say that one Drone failed the INV and the armour save to save the other Drone

You cannot allocate or pass on failed saves from the Commander to a Drone to save the Commander.

2) In he case of a Flamer hitting the commander can the drone take the full hit of the flames and the commander take none?
No see above. Because the Commander is a unique model that is different to the Drones any wounds suffered by it must be saved by it, any unsaved wounds must be removed from the Commander.

3) in the case of failing the INV Sv does the drone then get an armour save as well?
No you can decide to use either the INV or the normal armour save against a wound, not both. You can however use the INV against a Lascannon wound and the armour save against a Bolter in the same turn (as per example one above)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love you Riki!!!! That settled EVERYTHING!!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.