Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is this suicide?

I am currently building up a first time list that is going to be mainly a shooty army...lots of boys some lootas and the a few bikes to give me a counter flank.

I have a mech close combat army in the works as well but in my mind lots of boys shooting along with lootas for heavier stuff will wreak havoc against almost anything but AV 14 and the armys that run a really bad ass gunline ( tau and gaurd) will be getting out gunned by the shear mass fire power and quickly engaged by my bikes.

Any thoughts or comments would be great

·
Registered
370 Posts
try it out dude go with your gut. Have you ever played before? And it would help if you actually put an army list instead of just saying a shooty army

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
Sure, should work pretty well.

Lootas, Kannonz or Kanz, SAG, Shootas, and Buggies/Koptaz could work nicely. Don't skimp on the grots. To help against AV14, look into a biker boss or two to hide in your mobs. When something big pops up, reach out and smack it. Not the most reliable, but workable.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
kinda sorta list

so the list right now is:

#30 shoota boys
30 shoota boys
30 shoota boys
6 lootas
6 lootas
big mek kff
6 bikers
6 bikers

I have not decided on the boss yet or on the heavy weapons for my shoota mobs. Mainly i am looking for suggestions on the specific wargear for my boss, the heavy weapons for my mobs, and for what else i will need to include in the list to deal with armor.

I have playe before but not for about 4 years ( my lack of funds, family and the army have kept me away, now money is better my baby is a toddler and im on dwell time with the army so im back.)

I also have some trucks and battle wagons but wanted to try being a gun line army for a bit

Any input on the effectivity of ork artillery and big guns would also be appreciated.

·
Formerly Prince of Excess
3,560 Posts
Orks are a great shooting army. Tons of Shoota Boyz with Rokkits/Big Shootas, Lootas, mobile cover and maybe some Kanz or Koptas, amazing shooting. They're better at shooting than they are at CC in some situations.

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
If you're just taking foot boyz, grots provide better cover for cheaper.

A mobile Biker/Kanwall would be an interesting take on a shooty list, giving it some mobility and bite in HtH.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Orks can present an amazing shooty army. If it's any indication, before the release of the lasted Imperial Guard codex... Orks played Guard better than the Guard could.

Here's a break down:
Big Mek (Shokk Attack Gun) - Not the most reliable bit in the world, but hell thats why I love it! This model is incredibly fun.

Looted Wagon (Also known as Boomgun Wagon) - Here's your best piece of artillery. It's a bit fragile, though, and many people don't recommend giving it too many upgrades, but an 'Ard Case and extra Big Shoota (to soak up a weapons destroyed result) have worked well for me.

Lootas - The Dakka Allstars. I field one unit of Lootas for every Boomgun Wagon, and place them right in front of it. Wagons suffer from 'Don't Press That!' and putting a unit infront of them will prevent the uncanny disaster that is your artillery careening down the battlefield. I upgrade 1-2 of them as Mekboyz w/ Big Shootas to repair damage on the Boomgun Wagon if necessary.

EDIT: Actually, come to think of it. I've recently taken a liking to upgrading all 3 Lootas to Mekboyz w/ Big Shootas to provide the unit with a consistent rate of fire. Works well in units of about 11 or more, but I wouldn't recommend dropping the number of lootas in da mob to less than 8.

Grots - Not very shooty, but a small mob of them should go infront of your Lootas. Your opponent will either waste a round of shooting on them, or your Lootas will benefit from a 1-way cover save. Oh, and they're cheap. Just be sure you have your fill of Boyz before using up too many Troops slots with them.

Shoota Boyz - Highly under rated by new players. But trust me, learn how to use them and they're doubly effective to regular slugga boyz. Give them Big Shootas and not Rokkits, though. I'm not much of a fan of non-twin-linked rokkits. Also, never forget... Every boyz mob MUST include a PK Nob! It's da law!

Warbikes - In my opinion, one of the best shooty units in our codex. They benefit from a decent armour save, a perpetual cover save to match, maneuverability, and guns that are the equivalent of twin-linked big shootas with half the range. Also, just like da Boyz, don't forget your PK Nob!

Warbuggies and Deffkoptas - The best way to provide reliable rokkit fire, although personally I find them to be a bit fragile. Unless you're in need for a tank popping unit, I'd stick with Warbikes for a much more reliable blend of dakka and cc support.

Big Gunz - A very fun unit, but only recommended for smaller battles when you can't afford to spam multiple Boomgun Wagonz. They're more accurate than regular boyz, and Kannons can provide decent transport popping / horde management, while Lobbaz allow you to harrass their infantry from behind the safety of terrain. I don't recommend Zzap Gunz, I find them to be unreliable, and completely unnecessary in the small size battles that you'll be fielding them.

Killa Kanz - A good way to provide some extra cc killiness to your list without sacrificing the Dakka. Keep them cheap and they'll easily make their points back either through kills, or serving as a fire magnet (especially in lower point battles)

I think that covers just about everything. Personally, I think Dakka Orks are much more fun than Speed Freaks or Da Green Tide. But that's just my opinion.

·
LO Zealot
4,014 Posts
The posters above have the right idea. Ork shooty armies are fantastic. I'm not sure if warbikes are a good idea though. They're short range, so not as useful in a sit and shoot army.

I like blending speed freaks and shooty armies by taking normal speed freaks lists, and instead of nobz, using plenty of lootas. I also like using 20 shoota boyz in battlewagons. They're very flexible, and can hold their own in both shooting and the assault.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I'm not sure why you disapprove of bikers. They have reliable, good Str weapons. Their short range is accounted for by the unit's mobility, and in a list like this mobility is key. Shoota Boyz are not as proficient in fighting out protracted battles as Sluggs Boyz are. They make up for this twice over with their dakka, but protracted battles are sometimes inevitable. Having a fast unit capable of delivering a second charge to a combat has just about always been enough to bail out my boyz, who would have otherwise been krumped to death. No unit fits that bill in a dakka list quite like Warbikers. Plus, as I said, they can be pretty 'ard, too.

Shoota Boyz + Battle Wagon.. I forgot about that one, I did. Deff Rolla Battle Wagons are my all time favorite unit ^_^ Can't believe I forgot to give them praise.

EDIT: Plus.. when have Shoota Boyz ever been sit and shoot? They share the same range as Warbikers, minus the mobility, good saves, better accuracy and higher Str.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the feedback

so heres the new idea then.

Run my boys in battle wagons and trucks. Get a looted wagon or two and keep the bikes for the second assualt unit.

I think it will work well and that it will be fun to play with.....and if it fails i can allways bring out my ass load of AoBR boys and just go CC

1 - 12 of 12 Posts