Librarium Online Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is just an idea and would be against fluff and probably called cheesy btut im just wondering if it would work.

Have just 4 species
Warriors- Venom cannon
Gaunts with fleshborer +1Bs +1S
Zoanthrope
Biovore

Take broods of 8 Gaunts then 2 in each could have V cannon.
Warriors have v cannon and barbed strangler (so are flexible, i know only 1 shoot each turn)
3 Zoanthrope with warpblast
3 Biovore

Do you think it would work?
(i am not planning on buying this just wondering what you think)

Who thinks nid MC need a 5+ or 4+ invulnerable.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Well....

You'll need an Elite selection, so regular warriors may do. And as far as your Heavy Support goes, they can't take table quarters, so I would be hesitant to use just them.

Otherwise I'd say cut it down to 3 broods and VC every gaunt you can. Up the BS and the S of the gaunts and use them for fire support. I'd also suggest spinefists and expect most of your kills to come from the Venom Cannon gaunts.

Damn, that would be expensive....

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yeah Barbed strangler is ass on a platter on a warrior. Ord blast S3 no AP? Whoooooo hooo.

VC's are good tho. BS should only be on Carnis or your Tyrant. A tyranid shooty army suffers from lack of AP. A space marine army would eat you - Thousand Suns would eat you twice and ask for thirdsies.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Could cut down on species but holding quarters is hardly a concern as i will probably never use it, (could keep models in reserve in case i have to fight super cheese army) i have more respect for the fluff than to use this in a normal game.
I have put my real nid list in the army l forum. That one is much more balanced.

·
Registered
129 Posts
go for it! woot! i have an assault tau list that won a few times, and if it dosen't win, its fun anyway! this is a game. I can assault khorne beserkers with firewarriors and kroot if i want to, thank you very much! for this list i speak of i upgrade WS and I of my suits and give them close range weapons so that they can assault after a volley of deadly shooting! how about you're shooty nid list agianst my assaulty tau list! what a good even, game! eh? venom cannons would rip my guys apart. gaunts vs. firewarriors would be interesting to say the least, crisis suits assaulting a squad of warriors defending thier position with vcs? sound cool! yep!

·
Registered
21 Posts
I have fielded a fairly shooty Nid army for a try once.

My army list used
1 Carnifex with Barbed strangler
3 Biovores
5 Warriors with Venom Cannon
1 Hive Tyrant with Venom Cannon
about 16 Hormagaunts
about 12 genestealers
about 16 termagaunts

I tried it verse a Berserker of Korne army. It did ok, but I did lose by about 50 points.

·
Registered
229 Posts
It can work just fine but you still need plenty of gargoyles, stealers and gaunts to tie up your opponent until you can get into range. Since the longest range of any weapon is 36" that means you have to get in a little closer than other armies.

Versus marines or any other opponent with really good armor saves, I'd probably go with three Zoanthropes, three Biovores and then throw in a fex or two with Barbed Stranglers. I'd take the Strangler over the Venom Cannon mainly because the marines have such good armor saves that the VC is ineffective, and you'll need to force a lot of them to roll to save in order to cause casualties.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hmmmm Yous r forgeting Shooty Rippers they kick ass. Give Rippers BS + S the have all with VC, in a 3 species list. Hell that would be expensive but it can be done. :D

·
Registered
311 Posts
Hmm all you's are forgeting SHOOTY RIPPERS!!!!

Take a 3 species list- Warriors, spinegaunts and rippers- then give all your rippers VC, and the BS + S upgrade.

They will have 3 S6 shots at BS2 (BUGGER <_< ) but they get lots of shots so who really cares, if they cant shoot. They technically can hit once a turn which is better than a space marine as he has one shot that hits 2/3 of the time.

Plus they can sit in the woods with their 4+ cover save (rippers get +1 to cover) and shoot stuff to pieces. Mmmwaaaaa haaaa haaaaa!

·
Registered
207 Posts
How about using 'nid speed to change your tactics. Set up close to the enemy (for range purposes), fire off your shots, and then run away. There aren't many armies that'll be able to catch you. They'll spend the whole game trudging into range, only for you to leg it and shoot at them some more.

Except that's encroaching on Eldar and Dark Eldar a bit, as far as I know, and they probably do that kind of thing a lot better, so we 'nid players are there to catch and punish them for that kind of sneaky behaviour. Hehe.

Maybe alternative tactics. Charge your hormies, the usual CC mass troops right into the enemy. Move your shooty units within range and into a nice amount of cover to back them up at your leisure. Wait for the hormies to die (only use squads of 8 here)... start peppering them with worm-fire.
Alternatively, you could use the Hit'n'Run capability of Lictors to hold up people till you're ready (Lictors can take quite a bit of punishment and come back for more, so you could re-use them. And you could set up near cover and near the enemy).

If every gaunt was S4, BS4 and had a Devourer, you would have two/thirds x 32 x S3 shots per brood of 16 (total of about 21 chances to wound). That could be quite crushing, to have that kind of firepower waiting, and hidden in cover. And of course while this is happening, the standard maverick Hive Tyrant is flying about crushing HQ squads and your mass of stealers are peeling apart tanks.

Also, the Carnifex with Barbed Strangler is a nice troop killer, although with BS skill 3 at most, not necessarily gonna win the battle for you. You could swap this for a devourer though.

Also, devourers on:
Raveners (something like 6 S4 shots)
Winged Warriors (4 S4 shots)
Winged Hive Tyrant with BS4 (6 S5 shots)

That gives you much fun with versatile firepower, and being able to systematically draw that into range, go crazy, and then perhaps engage in a token assault to keep safe (jump 6inches to the left and assault that lone survivor of enemy troops) before doing the same again, would work quite well.

Devourers are fun. :D

-=Count Jasper=-

·
Registered
379 Posts
But then what happens when you fight marines and you are trying to hit T4 3+ armor save with S3 AP6?

Or what happens when you go up against a wych cult and they out run you and are brimming with close combat?

Or how about Thousand Suns Marines who have T4 2 Wounds and a 3+ armor save?

Each shot at S3 vs S4 is a 33% chance to wound. Of these, each one has a 66!!!% chance of being deflected. Remember that even at an upgraded BS of 4, you will still miss on 1 and 2, so only 66% will hit. So lets Crunch -

So lets say you shoot 100 times.

70 hit (Ill round in your favor)

Of the 70 that hit Approx 25 Wound. (Thats assuming you roll slightly above the curve)

Of the 25 that wound, ALMOST 20 will be deflected by armor.

Vs Marines, that means that 50!!! Gaunts (With the BS/S upgrade so they are almost 10 points a model) killed not quite 100 points of marines. Thats assuming that things go well.

·
Registered
379 Posts
My personal experiance vs Orcs is Assault owns them. They really have nothing to do vs our tough bugs once you get them into CC and Genestealers rip them apart. So do Gaunts. Old One eye can take out entire legions of grots and warboyz

·
Registered
207 Posts
I've played with Orks (when I was considering collecting 40k, a friend was kind enough to give me the chance to try a game), and they seem to work quite similarly to us. They move quite fast in their open-topped vehicles and bikes, have hordes and generally have awful armour saves. Where we beat them in CC excellence though, they can loot tanks, and have dreadnought/killer kans and stuff (can't quite believe that Orks were smart enough to drive tanks and build their own dreadnoughts, but apparently...) They are also, almost worse at shooting than us (and they don't have claws for hands). I think the standard BS is 2, whereas our gaunts have 3. But obviously the tanks and vehicles and such make up for that by being able to land a blast marker on large gatherings of troops.

Since their vehicles are mostly open-topped, they'd be massacred by poison spores, in theory. And then they'd just be ickle green foot soldiers with poor BS and slow speed.

-=Count Jasper=-

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.