Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok iam getting a battle force for monday. i was wondering what should i build?
right now iam going to get in total. 6 warriors,2 raveners,1Zoanthrope,1 fexxypooh,1 broodlord, 28 genestealers, 51 termagaunts, 16 hormagaunts now.....i use termagaunts as decoys to tie up...so iam not REALY shooty but i can kill a lot with my warroirs. but what shoud i do?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
A shooty Carnifex will be more likely to do damage. A close combat Carnifex can be quite impressive if it gets into close combat, but it can take along time to get there. Meanwhile, it's doing nothing for three or four turns.

·
Registered
653 Posts
It really depends on what you want your carnifex to do....if you have a a bunch of killer CCs maybe a shooty will balance it out (unless you're gung-ho about melee and made the uber-tank killer/powerfist monster of doom)

CC carnifexes are devestating with toxic miasma i've seen my crushing claw variant cut through a 2 Chaos tactical squads and half a Chaos termi squad before dying.

word of advice....your carnifex seems extremly random with those biomorphs....it can do a bit of everything but never the master of it. And deathspitters on carnis is a waste of points...buts its yours.

I'm still wondering if a Devourer carnifex is actually any good.....
carnifex body
+1 save
+enhanced senses
+twin-linked devourers
+twin-linked devourers
+spine banks
+1 toughness

·
Registered
623 Posts
If you want a cc go an all out cc fex, in the sense, don't give it guns. For cc try something like Crushing claws, ST, tusked, AG-I, EC, flesh hooks, Reinforced Chitin, Scything tail and AG-WS for 193 points. It'll mawl almost any relatively standard squad in combat. Having ini 2 over 1 really helps against powerfists, as well as the extra wound. Fleshooks are almost a must for just 1 point. Personally i'd go the gun fex, but that's just me, so if you want cc then go for it, just don't split it with shooty. If you really want to pee your opponent off, chuck in a cheap cc fex (2X ST, AG-I, tusked, EC, Reinforced Chitin (minus the last two biomorphs if you like)) and run it up next to it. With that many high toughness wounds it would take a long time for both to die in cc (unless against a grandmaster or somehting) and would absorb a lot of fire. ANyway, happy hunting.

·
Registered
302 Posts
IAmAngel said:
For a shooty carnifex, I'd suggest:

-Carnifex
+Extended Carapace
+Enhanced Senses
-Venom Cannon
-Barbed Strangler

~Ben

The two best shooty 'fexs are
- Dakkafex: 2 Twin-linked Devourers & Enhanced Senses (113 points).
- Gunfex: Venom Cannon, Barbed Strangler, Enhanced Senses, Reinforced Chitin (163 points).

The Dakkafex pumps out massive amounts of firepower though limited to 18'. Extended carapace isn't such a good choice. The Gunfex will probably sit at the back of the board in terrain firing from turn 1. The only thing that can reach it is AP2 weapon (Lascannons) and missiles launchers. EC won't protect you from AP 2 hits and missiles aren't that common, except for Imperial Gaurd. Reinforced Chitin gives you a guaranteed extra wound and is a lot cheaper than EC.

·
Registered
623 Posts
If you have the points, go both EC and reinforced chitin. It makes it extremely hard to kill, and if the oppoent spends most of the time aiming for that, then they're probably stuffed anyway, with the rest of your army on their doorstep.

·
438 Posts
Zerling said:
...EC won't protect you from AP 2 hits and missiles aren't that common, except for Imperial Gaurd. Reinforced Chitin gives you a guaranteed extra wound and is a lot cheaper than EC.
My experience on the missles is quite different from your's I guess. The Guard I fight has more Autocannons and Ordinance then Missles. On the other hand, every Space marine army I fight has at least 1 missle launcher, typically 2-4, even in 500 points. It's probably the single most common space marine heavy weapon among thier troops. Close behind are the lascannon-preds and annoying Assault Cannons. And of course, 75% of my potential opponents are Smurfs... But maybe I'm just lucky like that :cry: Without Extended Carapace, a fex dies extremely quickly around the shop I play at.

But points permitting, I'd get both upgrades. :yes: Unless it's the only TMC / Zoanthrope you have in the list, then I'd keep him cheap because his turns are very numbered indeed.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Personally I never take Extended carapace, if the weapon has enough strength to be shot at a Carnifex, odds are that its AP2, so I go with Reinforced Chitin and Bonded Exoskeleton.

I've never tried a Dakkafex or a CC fex, but I can certainly see their uses against some armies.. and also which armies they fail against, the Gunfex is my favorite as its a good all around creature.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Gorbass said:
Personally I never take Extended carapace, if the weapon has enough strength to be shot at a Carnifex, odds are that its AP2, so I go with Reinforced Chitin and Bonded Exoskeleton.
If you're expecting to be shot at by lascannons, then why take bonded exoskeleton? you are wounded on the same roll so makes no difference. Better to go EC for the chance that they'e don't shooty at you with the lascannon, then you get a good save.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Gorbass said:

I've never tried a Dakkafex or a CC fex, but I can certainly see their uses against some armies.. and also which armies they fail against, the Gunfex is my favorite as its a good all around creature.
That's not the only reason for taking the EC. It's also to get a better save against REGULAR weapons.

Even against bolter fire, that +1 Sv really makes a huge difference. Given the cost, it's well worth it.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Gorbass said:

Huh good idea cause then is someone has S4 and my T is 8 then they can't even hurt me like bolter fire will be a N...and EC is very nice also...

SO this is what iam going to use
Bonded Exoskeleton.
Enhanced Senses.
Enhanced Caraspace.
Reinforced Chitin.
Venom Cannon.
Barbed Strangler.
213 Pts.(yeah i know is a bit much)

Any way Happy B-day to me!

·
Registered
457 Posts
You cant go above T7.

And yes, the lascannon can wound you just as easily with T7 as with T6, but I against plasma cannons/guns it makes a difference.
As Laplace said, the carapace also helps against small arms fire.. but so does the T7, in fact, you can ignore S3.. which I think is rather nice.

I always use the Reinforced Chitin with Bonded Exoskeleton, because taken together it only costs 10pts more then Extended Carapace, and my experience tells me that its 10pts well spent.

And your fex only costs 208pts by my calculations.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.