Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Personally i think Lictors make a perfect s*** disturber for your opponents in the 5th edition. They have a beast WS, I and a str6 with Rending and 4 attacks on the charge.

I thought these stealthy critters would be great to destroy tanks and artillery on the first turn since in mellee combat you always hit the tank in the rear armor which is usually a 10 makes the lictor able to score a glancing hit on a 4 and a penetrating on a 5 and 6. It has a 1/2 of hitting the tank and a 1/3 of penetrating it. Even if it doesnt kill the machine it can run away with hit and run and get into cover before the tank unleashes its deadly salvo.

If you have more then one lictor working together. They would be quite an effective fighting force increasing the chances of destroying the tank and being able to kill devastor squads and heavy weapons squads more efficently

the con is that there one of the few tyranid species you cant run directly at the enemy screaming it head off becaus of its mediocre toughness and pitiful armor save. It has to live in cover on your opponents turn or your lictor is toast

So whats your opinion on the lictor or death leaper are they worthy to be in a hive fleet?

·
Back with a vengeance
628 Posts
I love the Lictor, but they just don't fit into my Nidzilla theme. I think they would do very well in a Genestealer flanking army, and really can help out if you can afford the points.

·
Mau'Dib
499 Posts
There's one other con I have to include before I get into the actual question. Namely, Lictors also always have to take a dangerous terrain test when they come in (since they must come into terrain).

Ok, now that that's out of the way. Lictors are something of a mixed bag. They're very good at messing with people's back lines. Either you can drop down and do some severe damage to tanks or heavy weapons teams. You gave all the reasons why (although you forgot feeder tendrils and what they add to their abilities in combat). The obvious cost is that lictors are very expensive and very fragile. If you take one, it will die. Accept it. The question is, does it earn those points back before it explodes. If you think it will, or you absolutely must mess up your oponent's heavy weapons (tau, some IG builds, some SM builds, some Eldar builds) then absolutely bring it. If you don't think it's that important, don't bring them. Personally, I've experimented with them a few times, but I never felt they were worth the points.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Lictors are amazing at what they do. Come in off of any terrain on the board, 2+ cover saves, enable nearby units to benefit from Tendrils, generally mess with your opponent's head. Drawbacks as stated, expensive, fragile, takes up points that could've gone elsewhere. Keep in mind that Lictors are not Fleet, so rolling a bit too far away when landing on terrain is very, very detrimental. Even further, a single Lictor doesn't tend to accomplish a whole lot on its own.

By itself, a single Lictor will get into combat, thrash some heavy weaponry or a tank, and either die because you didn't kill every member of the squad you assaulted or your consolidation move might not be enough to get back into cover. With only T4 and a 5+ armor save, and the fact that they're almost always going to be out of Synapse, counter assaults and concentrating fire puts a big hurt on them. One power fist smack and it's over. Now, run them in pairs and you may find them far more resilient because your opponent has to shoot/assault them one at a time. Even more, they work even better when used as pairs because you can have two separate surprise assaults going at once, tying up or destroying a fair amount of your opponent's heavy gunlines or tanks.

Lastly, as stated above, the Lictors have great synergy with Genestealers, specifically scuttling ones. Give the Stealers Scuttling and Flesh Hooks, deep strike the Lictor nearby and watch the two units destroy whatever you are assaulting from the flanks.

One last downfall, I'm not entirely sure you can Hit and Run from assaulting a vehicle.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The Problem with lictors is that you need more than 1 to be effective. They can be torn apart easily by flamers and give up easy kill points. It is hard to completly destroy a unit which in 5th you need to do to get any benifit.

·
Cereal killer
853 Posts
lictors are great on heavy terrin games, when your enemy got a solid line of fire, that are meant not to be disturbed. ;) otherwise I don't stress to say that my lictor(s) hasn't done anything useful but drawing fire power from some gaunts, and killing a terminator, something that my gaunts do perfectly.

but on heavy terrain games I won't stress a bit to use them, count in those objective games too.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your gaunts kill terminators!!?? what. how many of those guys do you have? Are they gaunt, gaunts or hormagaunts Terminators are not something such as a swarm of gaunts should be attacking. The Terminators armor save and moster weaponery crushes the littl ebuggers in a fire fight and at hand to hand. The best is to use genestealers against them in melee combat if, anything using the gaunts as a meat shield

Thanks for everyone's advice i think ill drop the lictors and take a trio of zoathropes to blow the living daylights out of my enemies

·
Thrillseeker
548 Posts
the games ive watched where a lictor (or 3) has been used have all gone really, horribly wrong for the opponent..

Cons:
Lictors are a tad expensive.(compared to the rest of the nids)
a bit frail.
Stupid deployment rules, dangerous terrain tests.. tsk..

Pros:

Scary looking model
Tendrils
good number of rending attacks
Stealth.. 2+ cover save? yes please
hit & run.. yummy
Reroll reserve rolls.
Nice statline.

I'd say theyre worth it for the fact that it makes the opponent paranoid during deployment alone. :p

edit: what are the rules for death leaper? can't seem to find them anywhere.

·
663 Posts
I disagree, every advantage to the lictor is theroy and the disadvantages are real.

Best senario they hop out of cover in a jusy squad of SM devestators. You charge and kill say 3 of them, thats above average. you got what 60 some points of meat shield befor they pound your puny t* and lack luster armor in to a 2 wound pulp. yay! One kill point to the enemy and non to you.

Or the tank. you get back armor I say 50% chance you kill it. now what. your going to get shot to pieces by some angry squad. Sure you gotr the tank that was more points then you but you and your opponent just got one kill point so no advantage there.

The fact that you have to start in "Secret deployment takes all advantage away from you that you get with 5th ed rules. It makes me feel bad for buying one. They need a serious point reduction or stat increase before i'll ever consider taking one.

·
Tyranid Warrior Fanatic
2,668 Posts
Your gaunts kill terminators!!?? what. how many of those guys do you have? Are they gaunt, gaunts or hormagaunts Terminators are not something such as a swarm of gaunts should be attacking. The Terminators armor save and moster weaponery crushes the littl ebuggers in a fire fight and at hand to hand. The best is to use genestealers against them in melee combat if, anything using the gaunts as a meat shield

Thanks for everyone's advice i think ill drop the lictors and take a trio of zoathropes to blow the living daylights out of my enemies
Don't underestimate gaunts. While the normal s3 variety don't do much, I've had a unit of 13 horms with +I and +S cut through a unit of 5 terminators with no casulties (though that was mostly due to my enemy wiffing all his attacks) and kill a CSM DP (well, more of dealt 3 wounds then we remembered it was nurgle and I never rolled another 6- they would have killed it if we hadn't remembered it was nurgle...). They may not be the most optimal unit in the world, but they aren't to be underestimated. The fact that they're a lot of fun to use doesn't hurt either (a lot of non-competitive choices are a lot of fun).

As for lictors... I still need to assemble mine and test them.

·
Aspiring Champion
695 Posts
I have them used against me a few times where theyve appeared out of some piece of terrain and because they are closer than the rest of the bugs to your lines they have to be dealt with fairly quickly. Thus allowing the rest of the Nids to advance with a little less fire power directed their way.

·
The Allmighty Chaos Boots
814 Posts
I think alot of you that don't like lictors misunderstand their purpose.

In some lists you wont have room for lictors at all but consider this. A single lictor has the exact same purpose as a 16 strong homraguant brood which is to tie gunline units in cc to negate getting your hoardes of guants, stealer swarm, dakkafexes, cc fexes etc getting shot to pieces. They also had the option of popping armor but with the nerf of rending this job is pretty much out of the picture unless you get a juicy charge on artillery which normally has crap AV.

A further bonus of using lictors is that they act as pfist champs in swarm lists, mess up enemy deployment forces stupid enemy movement, denies stationary guns (read havocs) from functioning properly.

It's not that theya re uber killy that makes them so good. It's that it throws something unexpected into the fight, something with options. Uninspried lists are easy to beat throwing a few lictors in greatly enhances the effectivness of most tyranid builds.

See them for what they are: a good way to disrupt and throw some spanners into your opponents tactics. They make their points back by enhancing the performance of your other units. If yo can tie down a normal CSM squad so that it can't rapid fire your guants you have allready made its points back because those units won't die and will then cause more damge to the intended target.

With the pre combat pile in it's now alot harder to keep it alive for that first round of combat however so what you normally only would need one for you now need 2 to do.

·
815 Posts
I love the concept and fluff for lictors. You get the image of a predator popping out and shredding the enemy, then blending back into the dark to continue stalking. Just the thought of such a thing popping out would have any footman wetting themselves.

Unfortunately in game they are very rarely live up to the above concept. At best they may blow up a tank or hold a melee unit for a turn or two. At worst they pop out and die without ever doing anything. Usually it's somewhere in between and your "hit and run" turns into "hit and move back so the enemy can shoot you because you can't really hide".

Any opponent worth their salt will be more then prepared to punish you for dropping a lictor on the table. They'll also be more then willing to poke fun at the poor little guy when the engine of terror leaps from it's hiding place, trips on a vine and bloodies it's own nose.

IMHO: I can control what my opponent does much more effectivly with a unit of 16 hormagaunts or a carnifex.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts