Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why is it that loyalist Space Marines get individual codices for some of their SM Chapters and we do not? I would like to know what you guys think. Should Chaos get the same treatment when they decide to update us, or should we go back to something closer to the 3rd ed version with updated rules?

I think we should go back to what it was like in 3rd ed. not only did it make it so we can have our dedicated god armies but also make our own undivided chapters. Also with it all in 1 book we do not have to buy several books, saveing money is always good.

Ok time for your input.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I believe that they could have it all in one codex, with point adjustments and restrictions/limitations to units based on your alignment. This way non-aligned armies can go with vanilla rules in the book, and everyone else gets adjusted.

e.g. tzeentchies all get ap3, and everything shooty costs a few points more cause of this, and assaulty stuff like zerkers cost less (due to opportunity cost). The restriction is that no nurgle stuff can be taken.

·
LO Zealot
1,883 Posts
The best bet would be to do it like vanilla marines where depending on what HQ choice you have various special rules are used. For instance the IW character would let oblits count as elites rather than heavy, the alpha legion character would make chosen scoring units, the word bearers character lets you mark lesser daemon units.

It would be fairly simple to do and imo would be VERY effective.

·
Woof! Woof! Bark! Bark!!!
913 Posts
Individual codicies? It will never happen, unless they decide to make 10+ new models for each faction. The odds of that are roughly the same as GW having up-to-date, relevant, clear FAQs. :p

That said, a Codex similar to the previous Chaos codex would be fine. A half-dozen pages per god / legion will be more than enough to cover it.

·
One Awesome Dude
1,902 Posts
Should Chaos get individual chapter codices?

Yes.

Uselessness aside I'd simply like to throw in my consent and tell GW what we need - it wouldn't be all too difficult to make a Legion Codex, heck, even a PDF would be better than nothing no? A lot of the mentioned ideas sound just fine to me and are similar to ones I've come up with on my own.

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
I would LOVE to see individual codexes for the Chaos Legions; it would bring so much to the background, so much character to each army!

However... In terms of practicality, I don't think it would work. As Aeroplane said the old Chaos Codex seemed to work alright. But what might also work would be a basic 'Renegade' Chaos Codex and a 'Legion' supplement - an additional book which contains the background and rules for the specific Legions.

I mean, you only need to apply a special rule here or there, and maybe some restrictions on the Force Organisation chart, maybe some special items in the armoury, and you've got yourself a Legion. Probably pdfs would work just as well, although GW hasn't really made a tradition of that.

·
Registered
183 Posts
It would be nice if they did get individual Legion codices, but such an option is extremely unlikely. I would be just as happy if the Legions had special rules for each one (ala 3rd ed.), and the fluff for each got fleshed out a bit more. I would also be happy if each of the traitor legions had more fluff than the red corsairs.

·
One Awesome Dude
1,902 Posts
I guess I read a little too quickly over the starting post, I would absolutely LOVE to see individual codices, but I realize it's highly unlikely. I understand that there aren't as many various Chaos Legion players as there are say Space Wolves, etc. But a Legion Codex (covering the missing 4ish Legions) wouldn't be too hard. As mentioned a few pages of fluff per each group would be great as well as some variant rules.

Word Bearers could perhaps take a few limited selections as allies from the Daemons Codex.
Iron Warriors could perhaps get some expanded weapon options, perhaps allowing Havocs squads to score (I am loathe to go old school and give them MORE Heavy Support)
Alpha Legion, as mentioned, needs scoring Chosen or the like.
Night Lords, well, since our Raptors are now the same as the Loyalist versions, and Blood Angels have Troop Assault Squads, why can't we? Or perhaps they could write up a whole new unit of Raptors, with some extra attributes (maybe extra Fast slot? - They are kind of useless anyway)

And I always thought it'd be unique to see a Black Legion variant, special issue Terminators perhaps?
(I know I know, I hope for far too much)

·
Registered
306 Posts
Individual legion (chapter) codicii would be nice, but as said above, are very unlikely. I'd love to have a big CSM codex that covers all the legions so you can still make "allied" forces if you wish to (say Iron Warriors with a detatchment of World Eaters or something like that).

I don't like the idea of having special characters for the legins (chapters) like the space marines do. It's just not cool to have to field the same character over and over again to be able to play your army of choice.
A system where you could choose an alignment for your hq choice(s) would be preferable in my view. Something like a Chaos lord that can choose one of 9 traits that resemble the legions. Nurgle alignment could add resilience and Feel No Pain to the Lord, make Plaque Marines a troops choice, forbid raptors etc. A Night Lord alignment could make Raptors a troops choice, and so on.

Returning to the Cult guys as elite units might be a good idea for that matter so you have to take the bulk of your forces from your aligned cult units and/or regular Chaos Marines.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I first started playing in third edition, and didnt play for very long at all, now im back into it, I definatly miss the old legion specific rules. Its suprising how a few "limitations" or "special units and rules" seem to make all the difference.
I was thinking about individual codex's (codi???:p) but i think somehting that might work and make most peoiple happy is to release 2 books. One for the Alpha legion, Iron Warriors, Wolrd Bearers and Night Lords, with the black legion being used as like the basic setup, similar to the old codex, as well as God specific armies that could be more limited, but also would make (me for one) very happy. Thats just my 2 pence i spsoe!

·
Registered
110 Posts
As a bearer of the word, I would certainly appreciate being able to take some allied daemons, not just the hatefully generic ones we have now. The night lords and alpha legion need some serious love as well.

·
Registered
784 Posts
I think it would be cool to see the "forgotten" Legions get their own pages but I wouldn't hold my breath. I think that what we have in our codex now for "fluff" works with just taking only units with the mark of Khorne, for example, is all we really need. I understand there are players out there that miss set rules designed to play Night Lords or Iron Warriors, etc., but I'm sure there's just not enough in terms of profit in it for GW. I would love to be proven wrong (I would probably be the first to buy a new Legions codex at my local shop), do these legions deserve to have their own codex or at least a PDF? Probably. Do I think they're going to get one? Probably not.

·
913 Posts
I would certainly appreciate being able to take some allied daemons, not just the hatefully generic ones we have now.
I agree with what you are getting at... However, our nameless vanilla ones can assault the turn they arrive...

·
Master of the Universe
251 Posts
I think this is kind of a poor idea. While there are certainly different legions worthy of note, they often end up sharing models and rules. Unlike marines, we have some really general units that can have marks applied to them to alter their play style.

To illustrate, if I wanted to run a force that contained both berzerkers and plague marines, I would have to buy both the World Eater and Death Guard legion books. Plus, would the core book be something like Black Legion? The problem with that is our small number of model variation means GW would have to churn out an absurd amount of minis to expand the chaos line into individual legions.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Individual legion (chapter) codicii would be nice, but as said above, are very unlikely. I'd love to have a big CSM codex that covers all the legions so you can still make "allied" forces if you wish to (say Iron Warriors with a detatchment of World Eaters or something like that).

I don't like the idea of having special characters for the legins (chapters) like the space marines do. It's just not cool to have to field the same character over and over again to be able to play your army of choice.
A system where you could choose an alignment for your hq choice(s) would be preferable in my view. Something like a Chaos lord that can choose one of 9 traits that resemble the legions. Nurgle alignment could add resilience and Feel No Pain to the Lord, make Plaque Marines a troops choice, forbid raptors etc. A Night Lord alignment could make Raptors a troops choice, and so on.

Returning to the Cult guys as elite units might be a good idea for that matter so you have to take the bulk of your forces from your aligned cult units and/or regular Chaos Marines.
Just give advantages and disadvantages, like the SM system. It allows for custom warbands/legions and makes getting Legion-specialized rules more feasible.

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
You mean last edition's Space Marine Traits system? Well, I remember it was enough to have a single page of tweaks to have the Legions accurately represented in the previous Chaos 'Dex. It's a safe bet that something along those lines will turn up in the next revision. After all, Huron Blackheart's renegade fluff has not been well received as an alternative to the Heresy.

As for bringing back non-generic Daemons--no, I don't ever want to see that again. The abuse of daemon-bombing in the last 'Dex was sickening. Besides, it's redundant. What would a Khornate daemon do that a Khornate Marine wouldn't? Splitting Daemons off into a separate Codex was a good move.

·
Registered
301 Posts
As for bringing back non-generic Daemons--no, I don't ever want to see that again. The abuse of daemon-bombing in the last 'Dex was sickening. Besides, it's redundant. What would a Khornate daemon do that a Khornate Marine wouldn't? Splitting Daemons off into a separate Codex was a good move.
I don't see Daemon bombs being such an issue anymore.

What with everyone and their mom getting drop pods , or some type of mass outflank/infiltrate/deep striking abilities its hardly something exclusive to begin with. Plus with consolidation into close combat being reworked , Daemon bombs wouldn't be abusive in the least. Finally with rending being toned down (As well as other rules for Cc) the daemon bomb issue ... isn't an issue anymore.

As for the general topic: I don't think space marine should get individual codex to begin with. In my neck of the woods , we had gotten a serious case of power armor fatigue. Marine books and boxes are turning Grey from all the dust on them. "paint them red and add a jump pack." And somehow this warrants a dedicated book ?

·
913 Posts
I don't see Daemon bombs being such an issue anymore.
I'm not saying that it's the best thing since sliced bread, but rather that it is still quite effective, and (since the current codex) often overlooked. Is is as good as a zillion Daemonettes in the previous edition? No, but it can still surprise the heck out of people. Nobody expects 15 daemons to assault out of a Bike...

·
Son of LO
3,930 Posts
In my neck of the woods , we had gotten a serious case of power armor fatigue. Marine books and boxes are turning Grey from all the dust on them. "paint them red and add a jump pack."
A jump pack and a flying Predator.

·
Swarm Queen of LO
1,174 Posts
I'm not saying that it's the best thing since sliced bread, but rather that it is still quite effective, and (since the current codex) often overlooked. Is is as good as a zillion Daemonettes in the previous edition? No, but it can still surprise the heck out of people. Nobody expects 15 daemons to assault out of a Bike...
That's what I do. The trick these days is to have the Bikers substantial enough to be able to back up the lesser daemons. Instead of 10 daemons bearing down on them, they'll also have 4 bikers, a power fist swinging biker AC and a Lord with a Daemon Weapon. That's a bit of overkill.

Also Lesser Daemons aren't the only thing worth "bombing." Terminators, Greater Daemons, Abbadon the Despoiler...

Back on topic, one book for all the legions would be fine. There's really not that much difference between a special legion and a vanilla legion. A handful of new upgrades, a veteran skill or two, a revision to the FOC and a new unit or two is all. A few pages for fluff brings to the total to say - 8 pages per legion, 10 Legions (I count 8 in the 3rd ed. codex) and we have an 80 page codex.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts