Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok i am into 40k so im just starting fantasy, should i start out with vampire counts? and if so, what would be a cheap, yet strong 1000point-ish army? tysm.:alien:

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
You should start with whatever army you like the look and feel of.. Read the 'thinking of starting...' threads for a bit of insight.

As for a 1000 point list, we won't make them for you. Make one and put it in the army list forum then let people modify it. Or you could look through the army list forum for other 1k lists and see the general stuff they're taking for a bit of help.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Since you have played before Vampire Counts should be a good choice for you. If you want a strong army you probably want Blood Dragons as your bloodline, as they are some of the best fighters in the game. Get necromancers, as you will need one as your army general in 1000 pts. For core, although the choices are weak, you will definetly want skeletons as your main infantry unit and field them in units 20+ since they suck at combat. Wolves and Ghouls are good choices to increase the mobility of your army and also to get the flanks. Zombies are going to die (again), and are mainly useful just to stick in front of something you don't want to deal with. You may want to skip those for now. Spirit hosts are great screeners and flankers with their etherealness and I recommend 2-3 of them. Wights are also strong, but expensive to run, though you should get a couple grave guard or black knights. Check out the Tacticas that have been stickied for more info, which will help you with a bloodline, and also look at the Army of Sylvania list for a different flavor.

Welcome to the world of Undeath, I hope that helped!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I fyou want a cheap army, besides all of their obvious advanantages, VC is not one of them. Being able to raise new units means you have to have the models to raise, thereforein 1000pts, you might need 1500pts of actual models (1000pts you use at the start plus 500pts more to raise in case you get really lucky). You can go without these extra zombies and skellie, and "raise the dead" (i.e. the models that are casualties) but it can be annoying when you roll a 14 for raising skelly crossbowmen, and you have none to place!

Just think about this before you jump into it, alought if you really like VC, it shouldn't matter and the thought of your massive all conquering force will wash away any thooughts of doubt.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,444 Posts
Remember, if you do like the Vampire Counts, stick with them. I wouldn't really lean directly towards them though if you've never seen them played. They don't act like alot of the armies outthere, neither 40K or WHFB. They are slow, weak at first sight, but actually pretty good. Since you've played a GW game before, understanding the rules and new system shouldn't be hard, but actually learning how to use JUST you Vampire Counts will be a challenge.
If you need cheap alternatives, you can always opt for some cheap conversions.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah, Vamps are a difficult army to understand at first. But very powerful when used correctly, I've seen a Lahmian are out manouver an Elven army thats right an ELVEN army!!!!! I'd start off with a couple of baxes of skellies and a Necromancer and build from there.

-kmm4

·
/botnobot/
12,518 Posts
kmm4_01 said:
Yeah, Vamps are a difficult army to understand at first. But very powerful when used correctly, I've seen a Lahmian are out manouver an Elven army thats right an ELVEN army!!!!! I'd start off with a couple of baxes of skellies and a Necromancer and build from there.

-kmm4
I don't think they're that tricky to play, much easier than my wood elves are. Fear is a huge advantage in most battles, and some would say that makes VC just that much easier.

·
LO's unofficial Jester
3,412 Posts
CaptainSarathai said:
I play an Elven army and a Vamps, and I can tell you that if you want to outmanouver an Elf, you better find a pretty confused enemy. I imagine it can be done, but i'm curious how
My most faithful of kin are dying:cry: NOOOO!!!!!
Well best not discuss it here (off topic) but I have outmanuvered elves as well, I can tell you how its done on a different thread if you want?.

·
Registered
89 Posts
lord of war said:
Ok i am into 40k so im just starting fantasy, should i start out with vampire counts? and if so, what would be a cheap, yet strong 1000point-ish army? tysm.:alien:
40k rules are very releaxed compared to fantasy's. Play the Opposite on what you do in 40k. Otherwise it would be hard to appreatice the game.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.