Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
340 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I was just assembling a new Warbiker squad and I was wondering I should wait to attach the rider until I've painted the bike and rider seperately.

I know I would have to save a clean area to glue the rider to the bike or clean the area that has been painted BEFORE I attach the rider, which can be a bit of a pain in the arse.

However, I was thinking I might get better paint coverage, as well as making it easier to paint the cracks and small areas around the seat/butt of the driver. On the other hand, it might not make that much of a difference since that area is hardly seen.

·
Paintwater cup != tea mug
620 Posts
If you can't get a brush to it, you're not going to see it. I say glue first. That also lets you use it in-game before it's painted, if you desire.

·
Registered
825 Posts
I am painting some bikers up myself and I would recommend painting the bike and the rider separately. This way you can achieve a better paint job as you won't be trying to get your brush into the hard to reach places. I think you would probably achieve a better look that way.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Personally, ever since the first time I assembled a sentinel and proceeded to realize just how hard it was to get the damn brush inside the bars, I have been wary of putting anything on a model together which might be difficult to paint (horses on riders, etc.)

So, I would paint them separately and then slap them on, but only if there is a part of either piece which will be seen but will be difficult to paint. For example, I left my marauder horsemen in two pieces to paint because their legs don't cover the saddle all the way down and I didn't want to have to paint under them. But my chaos knights I fully assembled before painting (except for the shields!) because the legs that come with them cover everything on the horse.

·
The Shadow Knows!
1,590 Posts
If you can't get a brush to it, you're not going to see it. I say glue first. That also lets you use it in-game before it's painted, if you desire.
Not always true. I think you'd be hard pressed to paint behind a bolter on a SM but you can see there quite easily.

Paint brushes are more unwieldy than always practical.

It really depends whether you want to struggle trying to get those hard to reach places or whether you want to struggle gluing after. The lesser of two evils.

Try using a tiny bit of blu-tac to hold the rider in place and see if you can paint under there or not. If not, then detach and paint separately, if you can, then remove tac and affix permanently and paint as a whole.

·
Rushing Jaws
1,541 Posts
I'd paint them separately. You can use blu tac to hold the riders on if you want to use the unit in game before they're fully painted, and the paintjob will be better doing it separately.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts