1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Aliens ate my soul.
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone.
I have 40 plastic Ork boys and 1 old style
Ork truck, all unpainted. I need to sell them to raise funds
for my new army. Should I sell them unpainted or painted?
I would say I am a decent painter and I’m quite good at painting Ork skin.
So should I spend the next week so painting them up or should I offer
them for sale unpainted?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hi,

To give my 2cents worth of advice - it depends on your market.

At the club I play at, people tend to want to buy painted figures to get them on the table asap. But, my personal feelings is that I like to buy unpainted. Reason being is that I might be able to paint to a certain level, and if buying painted figures they are painted to a lesser or greater level of painting. They would look out of place without doing touchups. (I've recently repainted my entire 3000pts Chaos Space Marines as my painting level had improved since inital painting, and I bought 20-odd marines 2nd hand).

On the other hand, you could do best of both worlds. Advertise something that says figures for sale at a certain price unpainted. Can be painted for a negotiable fee.

That way if someone wants them painted up quick but doesn't have the time, you get more cash.

Reactions: Chubby_Jedi

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
I only ever buy unpainted models as i always have a strong idea of what i want with my army, so to me, selling unpainted is smarter.

·
/botnobot/
12,489 Posts
I've made decent money selling painted Wood Elves, especially as I got the models so cheap. But Andusciassus is right. Your money per hour of work will be ludicrously low. But nobody's going to pay full price for unpainted models. What would be the point? If you can do a nice job and get more than retail, then it might be worth it.

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
Oh, and there's also the pride-factor. Nothing like making money on your painted models... but at the same time there's hardly anything like not making money on your painted models...
When to sell them, make sure to put the minimum price to what you want for them models.
I've had to sell some models for far less due to pure stupidity when putting the starting price far to low.

·
Aliens ate my soul.
1,413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the advice guys.
(Rep for all of ya’)

I think painting up 40 Ork’s will be a pain.
But if I base coat them black dry brush the whole models
light grey. The paint all the skin and armour and weapons and
do some details in blue then they meet the three colours gaming standard
which means anyone can get them on to the table they day they have them and also
open up the possibility of finishing off the models in any fashion they want.

Now I loath to ask this but, what starting price should I be looking for?
I think that 40 Orks and a truck should sell for around £30?
Higher or lower?

·
LO's Resident Time Lord
3,270 Posts
Well, I tried selling some unpainted stuff, and it didn't go well, so I'm taking a shot at painting them (sometime). I have Dante from the Blood Angels, Marneus Calgar (the old one), and LOTR Arwen on horseback. These models really only have one specific look to them, so there's less of a chance someone will say, "Well, it's a good paint job, but it won't match my color scheme." You might run into that problem if you paint some generic Orks, but then again, you may not.

·
Thread Killer!
2,642 Posts
Yes you definitely won't be able to retire on a mini-painters salary! :) That said though it is worth looking into painting the figures. Unpainted miniatures will definitely sell for less than retail unless they are rare and hard to find and highly desireable.

Now as for painting - If you just put a slop job on the figures and try to sell them that also will net you very little profit. Your best bet to maximize profit is to paint them up as best you can. I would also choose some generic codex patterns so that they will appeal to a wider audience.

I would not prime them and lightly drybrush them. Not worth your time at all. Keep in mind that it really depends on what you are more interested in. If you just want to get rid of them I would just sell them. If you are looking for maximum profit I would paint them the best you can. While the dollar per hour will be low you should still have a nice profit over what you paid for them as well as the experience put in for the painting. That on some level could be worth it.

Cheers,

-Mike

·
Premium Member
4,800 Posts
I would expect to get back half the retail price of anything unpainted that I sell. You might manage to get more ('new in box', etc.) but don't count on it. Unpainted is generally more valuable; most people want to do their own paint job.

My fully-painted Tau army sold on Ebay for $270--retail on the models was $800, if that helps you.

·
señor brushman!
1,434 Posts
Well, personally if I'm buying used, I'd rather them not assembled, or painted. I like to do it myself: just adds a personal touch, and I like to customize my army.

All the amies Iv'e sold in the past were unpainted and for the most part, they sold fine. Basically, If I were you, I would not paint them to sell.

One sight I'd reccomend is craigslist (at least if you're in the US, I don't know if it's international). craigslist classifieds: jobs, housing, personals, for sale, services, community, events, forums

On a second note, I put too much butter on my toast :X
Good luck selling!
Ben

·
Thread Killer!
2,642 Posts
There are plenty of people out there that would be more than happy to buy a painted army. The question is how good of a paintjob are you able to get it to make it more enticing.

You can definitely get more than the value of the figure if it is painted well. The part where you don't make money through painting comes in from the time it takes you to paint vs. what you end up getting. However if you are solely looking at getting extra pocket money and not necessarily need it as income I would say to paint them for sure.

Cheers,

-Mike

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.