Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I recently finished reading Caves of Ice by Sandy Mitchell. The book is set on an ice world called Simia Orichalcae... I'm certain that Simia means Monkey and that the whole name relates to that well-known English saying about cold weather. So Orichalcae must mean Brass in Latin, or does it? I don't have a Latin dictionary and can't find a translation of Orichalcae anywhere on the net. It's beginning to bug me...:((
Can anyone tell me what Orichalcae means??
All the best,
Alex

·
Dark Apostle
1,214 Posts
Well, I don't know what it means, but often Imperial words are twisted versions of Latin words, so maybe the spelling is just similar to a Latin word.

·
Son of LO
3,930 Posts
Could just be babble. Babble is pretty common. I'm in favour of babble.

·
Son of LO
3,930 Posts
Ape...moths?

·
Dark Apostle
1,214 Posts
makes me think of a terrible song by a terrible band.....The one by the Beastie Boys, damn do I hate them...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Simia Orichalcum

Hello again, just to say many thanks to everyone who replied! I've now seen the wikipedia article on Orichalcum.. An ape-moth would be an interesting creature in SF, with wings, fur & maybe a poisonous bite...(?)

Now reading The Traitor's Hand, these books are good, though I still prefer Dan Abnett's writing..

Thanks again, & all the best,
Alex

·
Registered
1 Posts
Orichalcum was the ALCHEMICAL word for brass. This is why it is not readily found in dictionaries and translations. Alchemy used made-up words that were frequently similar to others, so their secrets would not leak. So yes, the name is a hidden joke, the world was named Brass Monkey.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts