Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
LO Zealot
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, this have been bugging me for quite some time now. The DE are, according to the fluff, capable of striking anywhere in the universe with great accuracy and no warning, right? But why do they target the enemies battleready armies? One should think that the quickly declining numbers of the DE, they would target unarmed civilians instead, and simply avoid the enemy forces. Are the Dark Eldar suicidal? Or does the battles I play represent the one in a hundred chance of the opposing army being ready for the DE, because they have somehow figured out where the raiders would strike next? Or is it the one in a million case, where the DE strikes a random place and unfortunately runs their head against an army on their way to battle?

·
The Dvl in Pale Moonlight
889 Posts
This is where game and fluff departs. Lets just say the times the DE faces a equal force perhaps due to misinformation or just plain bad luck that some imperial dropships or tyranid force is attacking the same place... or whatever.

Basicly the times DE just marches in and take what they want and there are no real battle thus its not really represented in the game but the times other enemies stand between them intentionally or not, those are the battles we play.

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Well don't forget that DE don't deploy exclusively from the Webway, there can be rogue bands and pirate fleets (think of the novel Nightbringer). Also when you attack on a planetary scale, there's probably going to be a force of PDF somewhere you manage to scramble into a coherent formation in those opening minutes of an attack.

So basically I'd imagine the DE fight troops where they can't avoid it, they prefer taking on civillians but fight battles to emasculate the local PDF. Fighting against Space Marines however requires some more re-working of the idea...

·
Registered
82 Posts
Well here is my theory for all its worth:

Drachons/Archons fluffwise aren't really portrayed as caring nice fellows. In fact I would imagine they are fairly callous and wouldn't really mind if a few warriors died if it gained them something. Add this to the fact that I am more than sure that Farseers, Marines, Veteran death world troops, and ethreals would taste a bit better than lets say joe the farmer and you have a very good reason to go to war when you are an uncaring hungry little archon. Besides the above soldiers would last longer for my Haems to torture.

Also in a galaxy of war pretty much everyone is going to have some form of instant defense. Orbital defense forces, global defense, anything in an eldar craft world, any orks, any nids etc. So the chances of getting into a small battle are actually pretty good.

Besides all Eldar have spookey invisible goals. Dark Eldar are the same just with a twist towards the dark side.

All good reasons to GET IT ON.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts