Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Glad to see they had to go and copy / paste all the FAQ from the past and put it up again. :p

I find it hysterical that a one model gets to fire from the immolator. That one sister with melta gun or priest with a plasma gun gets to stick his/her head and try to kill something. Or lacking that, maybe throwing a grenade out...the laughs are endless.

It's ridiculous that the issue with the exorcist ALWAYS comes up. The model hasn't changed since release, yet people still require that a new FAQ be published the second a new codex is released or all bets are off.

·
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I find it hysterical that a one model gets to fire from the immolator. That one sister with melta gun or priest with a plasma gun gets to stick his/her head and try to kill something. Or lacking that, maybe throwing a grenade out...the laughs are endless.
Assuming the seemingly endless stream of naysayers don't get it switched back. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.

·
Registered
625 Posts
Im just glad they finally faq'd line of sight with the exorcists. i had so many arguements and eventually allowed it to get house ruled to use the driver as line of sight checking. now i can go back to my pipes and deny cover. I am however not going to be "that guy" and say that the pipes are not part of the vehicle. If they can see only the pipes ill let them shoot but i get a 3+ as the armor arc they are shooting from cannot be seen.

·
Registered
423 Posts
So all the stuff that we already knew....when will GW show the sisters some love!? WHEN!? Give us plastics! Give us a new actual codex that's competitive!!!

·
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So all the stuff that we already knew....when will GW show the sisters some love!? WHEN!?
Nothing is going to happen until the line is redone in plastic (or the line is discontinued due to the impracticalities of sustaining a metal line - what else does GW produce in metal these days?)

It's getting pretty close to the point where you can play sisters with marine rules though - if not for the separation between Blood Angels and regular marines you'd have small squads running around with twin meltaguns, heavy flamer devastators, eviscerators, fast heavy flamer immolators, and a big angelic HQ. Marines even get rending heavy bolters (one of their warlord traits), acts of faith (UM chapter tactics), and cheap mech spam...
... seriously it's a bit like a bizzaro mirror world at the moment where marines cost a third less than sisters rather than the other way around. The core 10 squads and two characters of the gladius comes in at less than 900 points, 10 squads of sisters with immolators and two HQs is upwards of 1400.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I don't get how they can't see the demand for them. There are plenty of sisters players or wannabe sisters players that would splurge on plastic models.

At this point in time I'd settle for GW lowering their points cost and allowing us to use rocket launchers. I mean we can;t even get rocket launchers! The guard have them!!!

·
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I mean we can;t even get rocket launchers! The guard have them!!!
No model, no rules.

Though sisters are somewhat thematically locked into the flamer/bolter/melta trinity - it was more significant back before everyone else got better flamers, bolters, and meltas :p

If I had to pick an extra thematic weapon type it would be stake-based weapons but I could certainly see portable exorcist (melta) missile tubes as a thing, it's existing technology rather than something pulled out of thin air.

·
Registered
423 Posts
The way I look at it. Guard are at the technical ass end of the equipment spectrum, with marines being top end. Sisters should fall into the middle. After all they get the shiny power armour that guard don't. Therefore sisters should be able to use anythign the guard use!

·
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Therefore sisters should be able to use anythign the guard use!
What the sisterhood can and cannot do is heavily restricted by the high lords.

The technicality that excludes them from the 'no men under arms' rule was allowed to continue because it was argued that the ecclesiarchy needed some form of militant force as to not be totally subservient to the Adeptus Terra and Imperial Guard, however the spirit of the rule, preventing the rise of another force like the Frateris Templars (aka guard with fancy toys) is still followed.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I really do wish they had been made a slight bit more like Space Marine, with access to some of the vehicles, the options, and such. I also wish that they worked more like Grey Knights, in regards to their Acts of Faith, where maybe they have "Faith 2", like Manifester Level 2, and their Faith powers worked a little more like Psychic Abilities. I totally get that, as an army, they needed to be a bit different than the Astartes, just so they weren't "female Space Marines", or something, but there's a short list of things I really wish they'd do to make them more comparable to other forces, even excluding their third-party shenanigans costing them a tank. I'd like Celestine to have stats (more) comparable to a Greater Daemon, maybe Keeper, since, in a way they'll never admit, that is sort of what a Living Saint is. Some choice in a unit's Faith powers, or at least more that aren't crap. maybe Faith shouldn't be as powerful, or as reliable, as psychic powers, especially when it doesn't have Perils, but...now I'm just whining, aren't I? ;) I've seen one battle report on Youtube where Sisters battled Necrons (7th ed, but it reminded me of that first one, all those years ago), and they did win rather handily, so I know that they CAN, as is, but I don't think it would hurt them to get just a few more ups (access to Land Raiders, and/or Drop Pods, without needing a whole Inquisitor, or Blood Angels, detachment, something dedicated assault, that isn't a Penitant Engine, or Celestine, as Repentia DO sort of suck, fix the Canoness so she isn't, somehow, the worst HQ, when she's the only customizable one), and, of course, they need to hurry up and make the plastic versions of them.

I have my own other idea about why we haven't seen the models, yet, but it's trivial, and certainly more my opinion, than anything factual, or even that others would likely believe. I hope that they are working on them, as I liked Sisters even back in the early millennium, when it didn't, apparently, seem so crazy to buy that all-pewter army.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'd like to see a return to the old witch hunters codex style sisters. A list of powers and they can choose which one to cast each turn. Man I miss being able to give them 3++ saves...Or if you wanted to blance it out. Do it like pyschic powers. Each unit rolls two dice and they get those 2 powers.

I get their lack of access to pods and raiders. They are space marine specific vehicles because, fluff wise, the forces involved would shatter their non-astarted bones/organs. However, I see no reason why they couldn't design and release a mid way vehicle, a "raider-light" as it were.

I think sisters are sorted close combatwise. They aren't an army designed to be getting stuck in and as such shouldn't have overtooled combat units. That being said I would like the repentia to have an improved invulnerable save (make it 5++ because they believe super hard) and FNP (Can't remember if they have it). Admittedly FNP not massively helpful at toughness 3.

The canoness I agree is arguably the worst character in any codex. By the time you've made her half decent she's already beyond the points of celestine. A character who would bitch slap her into next tuesday...For celestine I'd like to see her get an extra point of strength. That's it. I think as a character she is fairly spot on. Maybe even give her an individual faith power.

There was a rumour doing the rounds a year or so ago that GW have all the molds for plastic sisters, did a run of plastics and then decided they wouldn't sell so shoved them all in their warehouse of forgotten treasures...

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yeah, I heard that they were trying to make some really fancy Sisters, like they looked the part of veiled women, but you could still see the details of the face, and they would maintain their less "ridiculous" female mini appearance, without ridiculous embellishments, because they were female, but never saw more of them. The thing is, I do think that they would sell; I just ALSO believe that the codex would need a good update, to go with the models re-skin. Like I said, I've seen them play well, a time, or two, with what they've currently got, and I know that they need to stay noticeably different from "female Space Marines", but there's definitely room for improvement, especially now that Matt Ward isn't there to write their book, and I don't think it would take too much to make them pretty good. Decent armor (check), give them their close-range guns (check), and maybe something dedicated to melee/assault (not check, yet, but the Eldar CAN, so I'd say the Sisters can, too).

As I type this, though, I'm reminded of my biggest complaint, regarding current 40k; random elements of a tactical/strategy game. My day would be much better if the Warlord traits, and the psychic powers, weren't "hope you get a good one!", like they currently are, and that could keep their psychic/faith abilities impaired, but yeah, I miss the Witch Hunters codex Sisters, too. One silly thing I sort of wish they'd do, though they won't, I wish they'd include the hypothetical ability for a Canoness to become an Inquisitor. In this way, the HQ would get a good mix of options, while still having the Sisters' benefits, and some better, possibly CHEAPER gear. I agree, once the Canoness has some good gear, she costs too much, compared to Celestine, or Jacobus. I do wish Celestine had better Toughness, though, or Eternal Warrior. I get that, when she can come back, where a Greater Daemon cannot, she can't be quite as tough, but still, I wish she was more on par with such creatures, seeing as she sort of IS such a being. At one point, you could summon a Greater Daemon through chains attached to Chosen, among Chaos warbands (back in 3E), and I could live with a tougher version of Celestine being limited by saying "someone else has to fall in batte, and Celestine rises in their place, till she gets felled, as well." Oh well, we'll see if they ever get anywhere with the Bolter Babes, or not. ;)

·
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, I heard that they were trying to make some really fancy Sisters, like they looked the part of veiled women, but you could still see the details of the face, and they would maintain their less "ridiculous" female mini appearance, without ridiculous embellishments, because they were female, but never saw more of them.
There were a couple of test models made with head-coverings, but they date back to the 1997 range.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Is that along the lines of the updated Eldar Jetbike that we never saw?

What I don't get is why GW doesn't see the enormous selling potential of new Sisters 'dex coupled with nice plastic kits. Dark Eldar, for the longest time, were the ultimate ignored faction. Then Gee-Dub came out with some very nice kits that updated their look, and a new book that updated their fluff and rules. The faction sold so well that GW had to start releasing LE boxed games in order to boost sales the following year (and not look like they were underperforming).

I do believe that Adeptus Mechanicus was a good way to go- we've been teased by that faction since the 2nd ed, and it is about time we saw them on the field. But the Sisters could do so very well if they were only given a proper chance in the sun.

·
Registered
423 Posts
People would buy the sisters minis just to paint. I mean you only need to look at the toughest girls of the galaxy kickstarters to see the demand/profit there. They sell out every time! The potential for some great looking models is there, the potential for great sales is there. All they nmeed to do is make the damned models. I won't deny an updated codex is a necessity to make them a viable army in even semi-competitive play and I've been crossing my fingers and hoping for so long now that I think extensive surgery will be required to separate them...

·
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Is that along the lines of the updated Eldar Jetbike that we never saw?
Gesture Cross Religious item Symbol Sculpture
Three unreleased models - the brazier, a power fist, and a sister famulous. Makes me think they may have been made later than '97 to support a sisters codex that was scrapped to stuff them into the inquisition push (as the chapter approved sisters in 3e introduced the famulous).

I do believe that Adeptus Mechanicus was a good way to go- we've been teased by that faction since the 2nd ed, and it is about time we saw them on the field. But the Sisters could do so very well if they were only given a proper chance in the sun.
But they didn't go admech until forgeworld was already selling a ton of them via the heresy range.

·
3,395 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
To me, that doesn't look out of line with the '97 sisters.
Nor do the 2004 sisters since they are mostly the same models (the superiors, seraphim, and banners from the 2004 line are all repurposed 1997 models) - so it's hard to say what era the unreleased sisters are from.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts