Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of picking up some Sisters Repentia and am wondering if anyone has ever used them, and if so what are your thoughts?

·
867 Posts
I have used Repentia several times. To me the key is placement: remember that they will advance toward the nearest enemy so place them where this won't be a problem for the rest of your army. I also make sure that I force my opponent to choose: either shoot at the Repentia before they get to him OR shoot at another (shooty) part of my army.

Repentia are last in Initiative, but the survivors are deadly. ;) They are also good against tanks.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Inquisitor Leet said:
I am thinking of picking up some Sisters Repentia and am wondering if anyone has ever used them, and if so what are your thoughts?
Reconsider. Sister Repentia are one of the least effective units in the game. They get shot up long before they get into combat -- leaving you only a few Repentia that are killed before they attack on Initiative 1.

Although the models are gorgeous (I use them as Fanatics in my Zealot squads), Arco-Flagellants are much, much better:

1. For 20pts you get a single wound T3 model with a 4+ Save. Compare to Arco-Flagellants, where for an additional 15pts you get Fearless and +1S, +2T, +3I, +d6A, and an invulnerable save.

2. Without an invulnerable save, too many Repentia fail to get their attacks. Take a look at 10 Repentia (210pts) in close combat against 10-man Tactical Marine squad with a Veteran Sergeant with a Power Weapon and Bolt Pistol (175pts). Assuming they miraculously survive shooting to get into combat, they don't do too well unless they charge:
a. If the Repentia charge: Mariles kill 3 Repentia, Repentia kill 5.8 Marines.
b. If the Marines charge: Marines kill 5.2 Repentia, Repentia kill 2.3 Marines.
Compare that to 6 Arco-Flagellants against the same marines:
a. If the Arcos charge: Marines 1 Arco, Arcos kill 9 Marines.
b. If the Marines charge: Marines kill 1.8 Arcos, Arcos kill 7 Marines.

The difference? T5 and an invulnerable save!

3. Holy Rage is a double edged sword. Smart players will force you to move toward a strategically placed fast moving unit. For example, your Repentia can be made to follow a single landspeeder wherever it goes with no hope of closing. Arcos have Holy Rage, but they don't have to turn it on until they get into position.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Only take them in fun games, not in tournament play because even when they manage to get to HtH, having only one attack each really sucks. Sure its with a Str 6 chainfist, but really its best against vehicles and you have better choices to take out vehicles.

In a mega battle we played with recycling units, One squad of death company and chaplain killed 50+ Sisters Repentia, and the Chaplain still survived, even after the sisters consistently got the charge due to recycling back onto the board.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Try them in a very large game sometime down the road.

I played in a game where about 20 of them charged and cleaned up a whole squad of about 10 Terminators. All gone. That will probably never happen again in my career.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You can't use them like your power-armored Sisters, that's for sure. You need to Deploy them wisely, Move them Wisely, and Choose Targets for them wisely.

If you have an armored spearhead, they can follow that and stay largely out of site as they advance. They can creep along terrain. But, really, they should only need one to two turn of stealthy, protected movement... By then they should by in Holy Rage/Mad Frenzy of Doom psycho running range.

But choose your targets - they should NOT be assaulting troops, unless they vastly outnumber the enemy. Only charge units that cannot cause enough wounds to kill all your Repentia in one turn. Perfect target? Dreadnoughts. They can't kill enough, and even having 2 survivors should be enough to bring it down. Now - this cunning movement and target choosing can be mucked up by canny opponents and the Holy Rage rule.

The problem with maxed-out units is that there's never anywhere for them to hide. 8-10 Repentia can huddle out of sight behind many terrain features and most tanks, while still have enough models left to get into combat and be of value. But never hunt large squads... Go after characters, Dreads, tanks, small units.

And when they're trying to lead you around by the nose... hope they're dumb enough to shoot at you. All of a sudden that Land Speeder that kept 13" away all game is now within an inch or two, and your turn is next... IF they get shot, they have a potential to go 24" almost instantly.

·
Registered
118 Posts
In my experience repentias are really bad if I have to assault the other army, because of their poor save. They are easy points earned by my adversary. Of course if you are super smart and/or lucky they can be effective, but I would not count on it.

On the other hand, they shine in defensive position, vs orcs, tyranids, assaulting chaos etc... Again you have to be smart in order to put them at the right position, and manage their anger. Reserve can work, did a good job for me against tyranids.

Still, for defense, arcos in my hands are even better. That's because you can choose when to inject drugs for them. and d6 attacks are: Oh my god, I should buy more dices!

·
Registered
241 Posts
I like mine, but they have been doing really well lately. Every now and again they get taken out but its usally my own damn fault!:w00t:

·
867 Posts
This is a bit radical:

Take an Inquisitor Lord, Induct some Space Marines, and add a unit of Sisters Repentia.

Talk about havok! :)

·
438 Posts
MiketehFox said:
You really need big units, I'll be using a maxed out squad (19 Repentia and 1 Misstress) eventually, only got 9 REpentia right now.

Just take away the Mistress as the first casualty and boom, your moving like 15 inches a turn almost (results may vary) :D

Mike
I thought the Mistress had a 3+ armor save? May need to double-check my codex, but if that's the case, she can't be taken out first as a casualty due to the majority armor save rules forcing the wounds to the Repentia first.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Xardian said:
I thought the Mistress had a 3+ armor save? May need to double-check my codex, but if that's the case, she can't be taken out first as a casualty due to the majority armor save rules forcing the wounds to the Repentia first.
I think you are correct. BUt if you really wanted to kill her, you might ask your opponent if she can take the armor save at majority value. Or "overlook" the fact that she has different armor value and simply delegate a failed save to her. Technically this is wrong, but I personally wouldn't have a problem with an opponent doing it. THere is a give and take which seems fair enough.
You could also shape the squad like a narrow pyramid with the Mistress way out in front. THe squad is bound to catch a lot of shooting, and range limitations always apply. SHe might be forced to go down due to range limitations.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Xardian said:
Nope - Mistress is a 4+ (Never thought I'd be happy that a model had a worse save!)

·
The Orange Grey Knight
3,830 Posts
You know what I don't get? How poeple always say that anything other than a 4+ save sucks. I think than a 4+ save is great, it keeps then dying in hordes from basic troops (which Repentia rock against on the charge) and forces the enmy to use heavier weapons which could help keep other units safe.

Mike

·
Registered
962 Posts
When I want to ratchet up my close combat effectiveness, I use GKs.
They are much more potent than Repentia.

MAYBE if Repentia contributed faith, or if they could start the game in a tank (like Ogryns), or if you didn't have to buy that expensive Mistress, or if you could "sell" back a couple of the Eviscerators to save you a few points, or if their save were 4+ Invulnerable in CC.

Something to make them work better.

Until that happens, mine will have to stay on the shelf and let the GKs do the job.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Mine are doing alright still, but I need something else...something with more kick...I am think gks...but I dono...something in me tells me no. It kinda defeats the purpose of playing wh...I mean why dont I just play dh...I dono.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Navnlos Sjel said:
Mine are doing alright still, but I need something else...something with more kick...I am think gks...but I dono...something in me tells me no. It kinda defeats the purpose of playing wh...I mean why dont I just play dh...I dono.
The day I meet a Marine player who says "the Assault Cannon is just TOO powerful, I'm going to use the OLD Assault Cannon Rules" will be the day that I decide not to use the allies page of my codex.

Or maybe if an opponent said, "I feel bad that your most important defensive weapon, Purity Seals, only worked as intended for half a year. Tell you what-- if you take them in a squad, we'll allow that squad to play by 3rd ed assault rules."

Or you could wait for these things to be "fixed" when new WH codex comes out.
(And you can make a list for Santa Claus while you're at it. He shouldn't be far behind).

I'd bet a lot of money that you're not going to see a DH por WH codex in 4th. In fact, you may never see a new one. So get used to your codex and use in its entireity without any guilt. A 10 Man Squad of GKs averages a cost of 27.5 per model. You're paying dearly for what you get, so you've got nothing to feel bad about.

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
i don't take preists (pure ordo hereticus) so repentia are great for me BUT they are expensive and need to be played carefully, they are not marines OR sisters and can't be played as such think of a cc guard unit and you get the idea.

i find that they are best used in squads of 7 or 16 with a mistress, what do you people use and what would be the max points that you would "invest" in them.

i think it's very possible that we will see a 4th ed =][= book, but it will only be one and it would most likely include the rules for all three ordo's (hereticus, malleus and xenos).

·
LO Zealot
1,331 Posts
You know what I don't get? How poeple always say that anything other than a 4+ save sucks. I think than a 4+ save is great, it keeps then dying in hordes from basic troops (which Repentia rock against on the charge) and forces the enmy to use heavier weapons which could help keep other units safe.
A 4+ save is good, but not as good as a 3+ which is the standard for Battle sisters. Some players may not notice but a 4+ to a 3+ makes a huge difference, for example, heavy bolters would kill firewarriors with ease but would struggle abit more against striking scorpians.

anyways ill stop blabbering about what many people already know :p

1 - 20 of 23 Posts