Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was writing some background fluff for my Alpha Legion commander, and came across something i did not know, and thought i would ask you guys. In my background, the Alpha Legion is preparing to assault a hive world on the eastern fringe. The Imperial Guard commanders decide that a conscription is needed to bolster their ranks. He begins the conscription, and files a requisition for extra supplies to help outfit the new recruits (they have some supplies on hand, but not close to enough). However, the Alpha Legion commander manages to sabotage the requisition form, and all that arrives on the planet is one lasgun, 6 frag grenades, and 16,000 copies of "The Imperial Infantryman's Uplifting Primer."

Basically, the problem is, how many sets of armor and weapons would an imperial commander need to have to equip an average conscription. I'd like to have a number( which can also influence the number of books sent).

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Cool question.

There are a lot of factors that determine the size of a conscription, the most important being the population of the area being conscripted from. Is it the whole planet, a whole continent or a country? How large is the area in terms of population?

Next, who is being conscripted? Usually you're going to look at males, age 18-25. In desperate times, they may go up to age 30. Right away, your taking 50% of your total population out of the equation based on gender (there are places in the fluff where it indicates that the guard does accept female soldiers as well as male, but it's likely that females would still be exempt from conscription; they are far more important to the survival of the species than men, just because of the way human reproduction works). Then you have to take into account environmental factors in order to determine how many people fall into the 18-25 demographic. In places where environmental factors allow people to live well into old age, the target demographic will be a lower percentage of the male population. On some planets, however, people might only live to be 40, because of environmental factors like atmospheric toxicity, proximity to warp activity, radioactivity or any of a thousand other possible factors

That should give you what you need to figure out how big the conscription is. The next thing you need to figure out is a little bit about the IG garrison(s) that will be receiving the conscripts. How many such garrisons are there and how big are they? This is going to involve your planetary history. If the planet has a long history of war, the infrastructure for a large military presence will already be in place; if it doesn't, such infrastructure may not exist. In places where military activity is recent, such infrastructure would be operating at capacity. In places where the Great War ended a hundred years ago, and nothing has happened since, some of that infrastructure may have be available to support the new conscripts.

Sorry this isn't the quick and easy answer you were looking for. Given the variety of planets in the Imperium, I don't know that it's possible to come up with an average conscription; the number of troops conscripted on a hive world me actually be greater than the entire population of an agriworld or even a forgeworld. The question is, how big is YOUR conscription?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alright, thanks, i'll do some research on planets and try to figure it out. thanks for the help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.