Librarium Online Forums banner

Do ogres look better in grey, or skin color?

• Flesh Color

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Grey

Votes: 12 54.5%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so, I noticed a while back a slightly irritating trend with the rulebook/studio army asthetic in WHFB. Almost every army has suddenly become pink and fleshy. Now, I came to expect this with all three elves,dwarves, humans, WOC, and to a certain extent skaven, but Beastmen and Ogres too? Luckily for the Beasties no poll was neccessary for me, the cloven ones clearly look far better with fur colors IMO, but I'm not one hundie on the Ogres. True I'm used to the classic grey look, but the flesh look may be growing on me. Bottomline, now I can't decide.
So what's your opinion LO?. Is it better to think pink? or is it a gray area on the matter?

·
Registered
249 Posts
I prefer the grey skin color. It's part of what drew me to Ogres as a WFB army and I feel it distinguishes Ogres from just very large, very ugly humans :p

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
True I'm used to the classic grey look, but the flesh look may be growing on me. Bottomline, now I can't decide.
So what's your opinion LO?. Is it better to think pink? or is it a gray area on the matter?
I don't know why you consider grey 'classic'. They always used to be flesh coloured, then GW went through a brief grey phase, and now they're back to being flesh coloured. I prefer that because I don't like random changes, just as I don't like the way all Lizardmen now seem to be blue even though most of them used to be green when the army first appeared in 5th edition... (But, of course, I don't object to others painting their models however they like: go blue and orange stripes if you want...)

·
Registered
68 Posts
I painted my ogres Kommando Khaki (karak stone) with a brown ink wash. I think they look much better than the flesh colored ones. The flesh colored ones look like fat, hairless mental health patients.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I painted my ogres Kommando Khaki (karak stone) with a brown ink wash. I think they look much better than the flesh colored ones. The flesh colored ones look like fat, hairless mental health patients.
Hilrious. I actually laughed out loud.I'm curious to see what your paint scheme wouldlook like. How heavy do you go on the wash, because it seems that theese two colors are very contrasting and would be easy to clash. I'd love to see a pic.

Also, to the gent above. The Ogre Kingdoms army was always Grey. Their previous incarnations as DOW units like Golfag's maneaters etc. were seperate from the Ogre Kingdoms, and they did not appear in the original army book. That is probably why many folks consider the Grey skin 'classsic'.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Except that the Ogre Kingdoms army is only 1 armybook edition old. So they've always been fleshy, and then they got their armybook and all turned grey. Now they're back to being flesh. The precedent was that Ogres are skin-toned, except for one book where they are grey.

Personally, I prefer them in flesh tones. Not to say that I want them to be the same color as Empire soldiers - as 'modern racist' as it may seem, I like to see Ogres done in asian flesh tones, a bit more yellow than pink. I forget how to do it with GW colors, but it's possible if you really struggle. I have a bunch of Samurai/Japanese to do, and I use Vallejo - they have a wider range of skin tones, but I've also found their paints to be a little easier to blend and water down. I plan to do my Ogres as Maori, from New Zealand, with the face tattoos. Like most pacific islanders, even a strong Maori can have some "bulk" to them and Ogre models are large enough to make detailed tattooing easier.

CoolMiniOrNot Forums -
Here's a link for the flesh-tones chart that I use. It's all Vallejo paints though, and surprisingly few of them are actual skin tones. The idea is there though, in that it gives you some nice base colors for each race.. It's best to actually use blues, greens, and reds when working on skin. Asian tends to use green, african/black skin uses blue, and everything else is usually some amount red with finer shading in blue/green.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
That's how I see Ogres as Maori's lol because they love their food & we love our food (by the way, i'm Maori myself hehe) & so does my brother that's why he chose Ogres & Captmonocule I like your painted models... it's way better than me hehe. Oh REP for your painting & REP to CaptainSarathai from a Maori hehe.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts