Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Boy, I thought I knew how to play this game... and then I read the FAQ.
As I see it there are now something like 6 sizes of models? Can this be?

1) swarms
2) smaller infantry (skinks, goblins, gnoblars)
3) infantry (from humans to Saurus)
4) cavalry (from squires to Pegasus knights)
5) Ogre Sized infantry (Ogres, Kroxigors, Rat Ogres... anything on a 40x base)
6) Monsters (Pegasus for one)
7) LARGE monsters (stegadon, giants, dragons, etc)

tell me it ain't so!

More to the point, since there are so many different sizes as far as I can tell, WHO can screen for WHOM? Anyone who can help me clarify...

some sample scenarios, all taken from the lizardmen army for simplicity:

jungle swarms screening skinks?
jungle swarms screening saurus?
jungle swarms screening kroxigors?

skinks screening saurus?
skinks screening kroxigors?

saurus screening kroxigors?

I WILL go home and re-read the rules tonight, but as I remember it, little guys can't screen ogre-sized guys... (read: gnoblars can't screen ogres). So how is it that skinks can screen kroxigors?

·
Registered
886 Posts
.__
/_/\
\_\/. First off here is a large block of salt to take this with as I'm still learning the rules as I build my Ogres.

If you mean blocking line of sight for shooting purposes, I believe any unit does unless it says so specificly in their entry that it does not.

On the other hand a larger base character cannot hide by a unit with smaller bases, and not be targetable.

so Ogre behind gnoblars is safe, but beside is easy target.. . err at least that's to the best of my understanding.

Then again I have not read the faq, sometimes they complicate what seemed to be a simple issue. . .:(

·
Registered
454 Posts
For screening purposes, there are three sizes of model:

Small: The only models with the Small rule are several swarms, and this is clearly noted in their profile. These models are so small they cannot screen anything. LoS can be drawn straight through them, although they cannot (obliviously) be charged through.

Large Target: Big monsters, like Dragons, Greater Daemons, Giants and the like are Large Targets, and this is noted on their profile. They cannot be screened by any model save another Large Target, and can draw LoS over any unit (Except another Large Target). Of course, they still can't charge through them (Unless they can Fly).

Normal: These encompasses everything that is not a Large Target or Small, from Gnoblars to Daemon Princes. They can screen eachother and Small targets, but not Large Targets.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, thanks all.
IT was actually a dumb question... I think I must've gotten confused by warhammer 40,000 tyranids... and an aold edition of the rules at that.

A character mounted on a horse amongst infantry... Where does it say that they can be targetted seperately? I'm willing to agree that it's true, but as far as I could tell from the shooting rules, he isn't 'larger' than his companions, since nobody involved is either large or small. Does the same thing apply with a Saurus hero with a unit of skinks?

·
Registered
3,348 Posts
Page 97 BRB top of the page on the right:

'Note that if the character is riding a horse or similar mount then he can still be singled out as a target if all the friendly units within 5" are infantry'

Saurus hero with skinks? Don't think so, it seems to indicate that regardless of the actual character size (unless he's a large target) it only matters if he is on a mount or not, so your Saurus within 5" of skinks is safe.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.