Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I know this isn't the most active part of the forum but thought I might throw this out there anyway.

Recently I sort of 'finished' Skyrim... As much as you can finish that kind of game. Basically I don't have any major quests left to do aside from repeatable ones; Thieves Guild, Dark Brotherhood, that kind of thing... I was wondering if, in order to give me some objectives to work towards, I should invest in some of the DLC, but the price on the steam store seems pretty hefty (probably around $30 for me once the currency is localised).

So I just thought I'd ask if anyone had invested in said DLC, and if it was worth the asking price in your opinion?

Or would I be better off just grabbing some of the user generated dungeons off the steam workshop to play around with?

Thanks all!
Deadstar_MRC

·
Double Clutching Weasel
3,279 Posts
I take it you're playing on the computer, then? Xbox guy myself, so what I hear about the computer is that when people get bored of (or have played through enough) the main game, they look into mods and add some variety to their play experience.

For actual released DLC, we picked up the House mod (build your own house, thing) and it was fun for us. We enjoyed it as part of the rest of the game, but it hardly stands on its own. Meaning, it was great to have while you played through the rest of the game, but if I had finished everything else and had no other quests to complete, building my own house wouldn't keep me interested in the game enough to keep on playing it.

·
ISIS Secret Agent Squishy
1,875 Posts
I've been considering picking up at least the Dawnguard DLC, purely for the access to the crossbows, and mostly because there's mods out there that change them to blackpowder guns.
As things stand right now, I'm not actually playing Skyrim that much these days; I've found a new(er) game which has much more dynamic combat in it, which should be used in the next Elder Scrolls game; Chivalry: Medieval Warfare. The biggest problem I'm having right now is that I haven't played a multiplayer FPS since before Skyrim, and I was never really one for knife duels in CoD anyway, but I'm learning and slowly getting better.

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, playing on PC (I did try to tag that when I posted but apparently forum tags have to be at least 3 characters)

I had looked at the Hearthfire (Build Your Own House) DLC as it's significantly cheaper then Dawnguard or... what's the other one called? Dragonborn, I think. But yes, I think I'd need some actual quests rather then just the prospect of building a house to keep me going.

I might try the steam workshop, see what I can find in there, and if I enjoy that I might think again about the DLC. That sounds like a plan I can get behind!

Thanks guys :)

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Well I have ps3 and I got the Legendary Edition for my birthday and the Dawnguard seems interesting I have a bit of that and apparently the Dragonborn one you have an extra island Solstheim from Elder Scrolls 3: Morrowind (i'm there now) and you can also ride on the backs of dragons , you can also make Chitin armour (Light/Heavy), Bonemould armour (Heavy), Nordic weapons & armour (Heavy) and Stalrim armour (Ice armour) when you upgrade your smithing.

I'm addicted to playing it at the moment hehe :p

EDIT: Oh I also forgot you get to fight the very first Dragonborn.

·
ISIS Secret Agent Squishy
1,875 Posts
One reason I'm glad I'm a PC gamer, is that for games that have the potential to be modded, it is so much easier to do, and you're not stuck with whatever the production company gives you. I actually have a couple of different armour mods, a few weapon mods, even a couple of mods that are technically minor but are a great help (like all Khajiit caravans buy stolen goods).

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Indeed, PC modding does seem pretty easy - I can do it, so it's clearly in the not-that-difficult category!

I've had some basic mods on pretty much since starting the game (Stones of Barenziah Quest Markers, Unofficial Skyrim Patch) and they have been somewhat useful.

After posting this I went looking and downloaded two user-created questlines. One is called Wyrmstooth (from the Steam workshop) and the other is Falskaar (only available on the Skyrim Nexus)

I've only played a little bit of both thus far. Wyrmstooth seems to start pretty slow (basically fetch quests thus far) but I'm hoping it might get better. Falskaar seems interesting but I've not played enough to properly judge it yet.

But both should give me a bit more to do when I pop in to Skyrim every so often :)

Oh, I think I found a mod that allows you to create Dragonbone weapons too, and put that on. Not used it yet as I'm still in the process of getting my Smithing up to 100 again (only recently discovered you can make skills legendary and reset them...) I know one of the official DLCs allows much the same thing but I'm still holding off on those for the moment.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
One of the best DLCs that I've ever added was 'Frostfall'. It adds exposure kills - if you get wet (swim across a river) you'll actually get cold. Snow, ice, night time in the high climes will give you hypothermia, etc. It's pretty awesome. It also adds a new clothing type, 'Cloaks' which can also be obtained through 'Winter is Coming' and 'Cloaks of Skyrim'. In addition, it adds a lot of other survival type mods, and allows you to build a full camp with a tanning rack, tent, firepit, etc and you can place these wherever you want. You can finally play an actual "mountain man" type who never goes into town except to sell his wares. It's one of the best immersion mods out there, it looks truly professional - it could pass for something included in the game from stock.

In addition to this, you can run 'Total Realism: Basic Needs' which requires you to actually eat, drink, and sleep. That's pretty awesome. Everyone says that you should "roleplay" things like this to get the most out of it, but these mods actually penalize you if you don't. This is also another very well done mod, and gives you fresh animations. Also, interestingly enough, it adds "drunkeness" by blurring your vision and you'll fall if you try to move too quickly. 'Bandolier' is another good mod to have for these immersion-based modes, as it allows you to craft extra pouches, belts and bag to increase your carry capacity.

'Get Snow' is another cool one - it causes frost/snow to layer on your characters, and it shows your breath fogging in the cold. Pretty awesome, and it really helps if you have Frostfall equipped, so that you can tell when you're about to freeze your ass off.

Another nice mod is called 'Sound Propagation'. It changes the in-game balance of certain sounds to make them more realistic. For example, you can hear a blacksmith using their anvil through much of a small town, and rivers/streams/brooks are quite a bit noisier. Along a similar vein is the 'Sounds of Skyrim', which helps make the sounds more "dense". For example, walking through a town, you'll hear 'chatter' from people talking out of earshot. It's pretty cool, it makes Whiterun feel more like a city and less like a midday shopping mall. Adding to this is also 'Birds of Skyrim' which increases the numbers of birds, but also puts flocks of crows/pigeons etc on the ground roaming around. Kinda cool to walk through a city and see pigeons skittering around between the houses.

Another good set of options to add are iHUD and Skyrim UI. The UI just changes the user interface and makes it much better and cleaner, less video-game like. The iHUD is another immersion mod, and it turns off the entire HUD when you don't need it, and brings it back when you do, rather than you having to go into a menu to change it.

One of my favorites also is UFO 'Ultimate Follower Overhaul', as it lets you have more followers at once (build an army!) and also be able to manage them better. Another is 'Wars of Skyrim' which populates the map with interesting battles between rival forces, such as Vampires/Dawnguard, Werewolves/SilverHand, Mages duking it out, Guards/Bandits, and even Mammoths/Sabercats. My only complaint with Wars is that sometimes the density gets a little silly, like cresting a hill to find that there's a battle on both sides.

One of the more fun, if not a bit silly, is the DayZ mod for Skyrim, which puts wandering Draugr out in the wild, in packs. Go to a city, and there's a ton of them, as per a zombie outbreak. The downside of course is that the can/will kill nonessential NPCs, which can mean that whole towns "go ghost" overnight, if hit with a sufficient wave of zombies. Fortunately, you can change the settings to increase or decrease the density and frequency of Draugr raids and spawn locations.

My upstairs neighbor in the apartment is a modder, actually a del certified tech, but oh well. He's been working on a mod that he shared with me that he intends to call 'A Less Civil War'. The idea is to build off of the DayZ and Wars of Skyrim mods, as well as the destruction and rebuilding skins of Whiterun, Windhelm and Solitude, to create a more wartorn feel. Now the camps of the armies will actually raid one another, raid opposing cities/towns, he wants to add more quests to the war which will also focus more extensively on the game's original sieges, and make the battles larger (the battles in the PC version are scaled to fit on console, whereas a good PC can handle 100+ combatants with ease). He's also added world events like supply trains, refugee columns, and wounded soldiers. Having played it, I can tell you that it is absolutely insane, and a lot of fun. Even just cuing up the battles so that the attack on Whiterun features ~200 men is awesome. Combined with some of the other mods that I haven't really listed (because they are overhauls, etc) and the Hardcore combat setting, surviving a fight like this can be absolutely harrowing. It's not finished yet - for example some of the AI is missing voice acting, even AI who had voices initially have had the removed in preparation for a re-recording of another person. The idea is pretty incredible, and he's taken a lot of time on it.

As far as the "Official DLC" I have all of it and consider it worth the $30 in total. Dawnguard and Dragonborn are both definitely worth it. Dawnguard adds a lengthy new quest, plus crossbows, and more dogs as followers (or armored trolls, because hell, why not?). Dragonborn was a bit less awesome, but it adds a HUGE part of the map, almost doubling it in size. It's pretty sweet just for that, and the questline is pretty Lovecraft Cthulu type stuff, which is always fun.

The Hearthfire DLC is nice for the ability to have pets, appoint a housecarl, have children, and build a home, but I have found homebuilding to be god awfully tedious, and I only use it to exploit crafting abilities and the old 'Mannequin Cloning' glitch. At one of the homes you can have a Fish Hatchery, allowing you to harvest the new ingredient Salmon Roe (makes the most valuable potion in the game) as well as the fish required to brew the broken Fortify Restoration potion. In the garden and greenhouse (available to all houses) you can grow most of the harvestable ingredients, allowing you to brew entire potions from your home, craft armors, create enchantments, etc etc. It's cool to see your house grow into a little microcosm, with a Housecarl, Steward, Bard, Carriage Driver, Spouse and Children, a pet, a cow and some chickens, a garden, and smithing equipment outside, but that's all you're really getting.

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's quite a considerable list! While the mods sound fantastic for their immersion level, I'm not sure I'd appreciate them all that much. I guess I play the game to do things, and while freezing to death or dying because I forget to eat are both technically things that could be done, they're not really what I'm after!

That and I just seem to have not had the time/inclination to revisit Skyrim (or any game for that matter) of late. But thanks for the suggestions none the less.

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Well, in my digging I did find that there is already a remake of the Civil War. Look for Skyrim Civil War Overhaul, or just CWO. Essentially, Bethesda had initially written tons of code for the Civil War, turning it into a strategy-game of sorts, with 12 radiant quests required to win over a hold, and the ability to win or lose battles and territories. The idea was dropped, but much of the coding remains. A very dedicated modder has gone through and revived as much of this coding as he could, in order to try to rebuild that experience as it was intended to be played.

The immersion mods - particularly Frostfall and Basic Needs - gave me the same impression initially. I wanted to go do quests and "do things". I figured that the immersion mods would do very little to add to my game. Wrong. It's way too easy to just fast travel from quest to quest, sprinting flat-out through the game and complete the entire main story arc in one sitting. Throw in Frostfall and Basic needs though, and you're forced to slow down. Frostfall doesn't necessarily preclude Fast Travel, and by FTing you can skip over a lot of the blizzards and other dangers. Basic Needs can make Fast Travel very difficult though. The game still marks the passage of time, and Fast Travel does not account for sleeping, eating, or drinking. You get to your destination and are suffering from starvation, thirst, and sleep deprivation. You are not 'fighting fit'.
So you walk everywhere.
That in itself lengthens the game, and you will uncover things to do to keep yourself occupied. When you add in the fact that you also have to worry about exposure, and that you need to plan where you'll eat and sleep, it adds a lot of time to your trips. Suddenly, the distance between Dawnstar and Whiterun feels meaningful, and it's a trip that I hate making.

If you're playing Skyrim just to do things, then you definitely don't want Hearthfire, and DG and DB probably aren't worth $15 each. The entire game is going to sort of fizzle out if you just keep playing the same character and run out of quests. It happens to a lot of players. That's cool - you just move on to Kingdoms of Amalur or Fable, both of which offer hours upon heaping hours of things to do. Skyrim... you have to pace yourself, and literally stop to enjoy the roses.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts