Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I received a good deal of assistance on my first post;though i was unsure if i should continue with the same thread or just make another. It seems that the local hobby shop owner's spouse is getting in to WHFB, and is looking to put together a group to play.

I have not actually played a game yet, so I'm trying to keep my points relatively low, and i'm not going to be using ambush until after i am comfortable with the basics.

Anyhow-this is the list i intend to field:

Wargor (field with Slaangors)
  • Mos
  • Heavy Armor
  • Two-Hand Weapons
  • Pelt of the Dark Young
  • The Dark Heart
Bray Shaman
  • MoS
  • Bray Staff
  • Chaos Armor
Beast Herd
  • 8 Gor/10 Ungor
  • Musician
  • Standard Bearer
  • Foe-Render
Slaangors
  • 11 Slaangors
  • MoS
  • Musician
  • Gouge Horn
I am currently working on painting these models, and hope to post images possibly later today.

·
King of Librarium's Tombs
7,143 Posts
Hmm, Nice. Cant really say id do much differently to be honest. Possibly a different unit selection, but the units you have are almost perfectly done.

Just to save a bit early on, as you only gtr 8 Ungor in a Beast Herd box (boo...) drop 2 ungor and throw another Gor in.

Also, im not positive on the Herds standard, at low points especially it hurts if you loose standards to the enemy, and i dont think it is too vital for you yet.

To give you a little ambush practise, with very little risk, maybe lose the standard and/or a few gor/ungor, and get a unit of 5 Warhounds. (Buy Goblin Wolf Riders and just use the wolves, cheaper than metal :) )
Or drop the Dark Heart for them. Its a good item, but with Beast Characters especially I think its not a great idea to max out on magic items so early on, at low points.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I worked pretty hard on this list trying to get everything i wanted into such a small set.

I got my Spawns of Chaos in today...built both-i'm strongly considering adding them to the list for a new total of 700pts.

Also, im not positive on the Herds standard, at low points especially it hurts if you loose standards to the enemy, and i dont think it is too vital for you yet.
Well, in this case, i could either drop the standard and field 2 more ungors, since my original total was 12, or just ad another gor. either way i don't think that my friends are going to begrudge me a 2 point difference.

I do intend to buy warhounds, probably next week-not really going to worry about a 5 dollar difference in cost since i'm not too keen on wasting pieces, and i generally like the models for the warhounds anyhow.

I've put my main hobby on hold for a while *Magic:The Gathering* and have some extra income-so i may be able to pick up both the warhounds and 6 centigors within the next week or two. Should be interesting to see if i can't get 1000 points finished by the end of the month...

·
7,143 Posts
Centigors!? Awesome :) They were another unit i wanted to recommend. And congrats, 1K within the month. I started a year ago, and am almost at 500pts.. :(
Mind if i keep a close track on your progress? You seem to be heading in he same direction as me, and a different point of view on units and playstyles with a similiar list would be cool.

·
I've had enough!
2,041 Posts
Gday,

Contrary to what Phoenix said, on a herd of 15 or more ALWAYS take full command. I still rate these guys as a pretty hot unit, A unit of 18 should have a banner, as it's trying to win combat, and at such low points, really, these guys will own the battle field.

It's just my opinion. When surfing these boards, you see people take 5 fast cav muso only. I spoke a guy from GW, discussing how he ran his darkriders. 8 with stanard, muso. Turns out, this is a GREAT flanking unit, and the standard helps, because you WANT to win combat, so it seems silly not to take it....

Regards, Tim

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Centigors!? Awesome :) They were another unit i wanted to recommend. And congrats, 1K within the month. I started a year ago, and am almost at 500pts.. :(
Mind if i keep a close track on your progress? You seem to be heading in he same direction as me, and a different point of view on units and playstyles with a similar list would be cool.
This is my first army-and i was actually gifted with the Starter army over a year ago-but due to hospital stays and things *best friend passed away last year* I hadn't been particularly interested in messing with them for a while.

Now with the fact that there is a dedicated group starting up at the hobby shop i frequent, i really want to get them out the door, get comfortable with playing them, and then start on 40K..*mmm, rusty Necrons*

I currently have enough pieces now to field over 1000k in BoC, but it would be a helluva lot more useful to add in other units, such as the Hounds and Centigors...followed hopefully before the end of may by 8 minotaurs...

As for keeping track of progress, i don't mind at all :) Hopefully i can glean some knowledge from yeh the army composition over time.

Contrary to what Phoenix said, on a herd of 15 or more ALWAYS take full command. I still rate these guys as a pretty hot unit, A unit of 18 should have a banner, as it's trying to win combat, and at such low points, really, these guys will own the battle field.
Reading the manual and taking in from descriptions that they aren't hard to kill, i don't particularly want to remove the standard in the first place *that and i'm just all sorts of giddy at finally get the number perfect after trying to work out the list for almost three hours-Oy...*

It's just my opinion. When surfing these boards, you see people take 5 fast cav muso only. I spoke a guy from GW, discussing how he ran his darkriders. 8 with stanard, muso. Turns out, this is a GREAT flanking unit, and the standard helps, because you WANT to win combat, so it seems silly not to take it....
Would this be a suggestion to run the Centigors 8 strong? Asking now as that's a financial investment.

·
7,143 Posts
Personally id say no. 8 Used to be a good number for cheap cav, atleast until 7th Ed. Now i think its just a bit wasted. Often you can get in more attacks from 6 just in one rank, and its cheaper.

As for the banner (on the Herd and Centis) thats your call.

As i said before, ill follow this list build, so keep me updated :)

Any chance of pics?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Personally id say no. 8 Used to be a good number for cheap cav, atleast until 7th Ed. Now i think its just a bit wasted. Often you can get in more attacks from 6 just in one rank, and its cheaper.

As for the banner (on the Herd and Centis) thats your call.

As i said before, ill follow this list build, so keep me updated :)

Any chance of pics?
Well good, cause that will keep me on track for ordering within the *hopeful* next two weeks.

On pics....if you really want your eyes to bleed from my bad painting skills, i suppose i could get some up at some point. Mostly all i've got right now is all of the 550pts primed and in various stages of painting.

Since it's Slaanesh, main color is of course, purple. I'm trying to go with black fur *not sure how to paint this* and pale skin...I want them to have a sort of clean appearance as i feel *i'm assuming that the Lores differ in interpretation* that it fits the Slaaneshi theme well.

·
7,143 Posts
Hmm, yea i like the sound of the sceme. Fpr black fur, it kinda depends exactly how you want it to look.

Chaos Black base, drybrushed heavy with CB/CG mix, and then a final light drubrush of Codex Grey. That should work fine generally.

·
I've had enough!
2,041 Posts
oops, didn;t mean to imply THAT with the centigors 8X

8 strong can only rank up 8 wide to be effective, and thats a bad idea, really. 7 max, but even then 1 may not get into combat. However, the insurence againat shooting is always good.

Thats said, 5 will do fine, too. These guys are the flankers/skermisher destroyers of the army, so 5 does does the job.

Min did always tend to get shot down, so thats im running with 7....

Against the wrong opponent, yes, beastherd are easy to kill, so you have to pick on weakish foes. Somthing with t3, s3 is ideal. Because they skermish, you're always gonna get the MAX amount of attacks, and thats why they can be brutal..then they get ranks, and away we go!

But ive smashed units of Kroxigors with these fellas. WS4 is another great boon, so remember that, thoo.

Anyway, good luck!

Regards, Tim

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Chaos Black base, drybrushed heavy with CB/CG mix, and then a final light drubrush of Codex Grey. That should work fine generally.
I must admit i am not familiar with abbreviated paint colors as i don't use Citadel paints; alas it looks like i'll have to change that as Reaper Pro has been discontinued. *grumble*

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
oops, didn;t mean to imply THAT with the centigors 8X

8 strong can only rank up 8 wide to be effective, and thats a bad idea, really. 7 max, but even then 1 may not get into combat. However, the insurance against shooting is always good.

Thats said, 5 will do fine, too. These guys are the flankers/skirmisher destroyers of the army, so 5 does does the job.
Oh good :D, i thought that might have been just a tad excessive. I was of the previous impression that 6 would be a preferred number. I think i'd be most comfortable fielding 6. Odd number units just feel strange to me, and i've not even had the opportunity to play yet.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts