Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably been done before.... but I'm new and I'm hiding behind the fact that my laziness hasn't allowed me to proceed past 10 pages back... so... on to my question!!!

Giant frogs. Please advise on your most beloved method to dispatch the bulbous floaters. The Slann are pretty annoying. I'm going up against my buddy and he's PROBABLY going to (drum roll ) field a giant LIFE frog. Maybe Shadow. With Immune to normal attacks and 2+ ward vs ranged attacks. With a fascist unit of temple guard.

Enkhil's Kanopi?

Ruminations on Lizard slaying?

Share with Zombie.

·
Registered
181 Posts
This is not a usual setup for the a Slann to be honest, the 2+ ward save is a waste for him as he will get a look out sir from the unit.... The other is just plain annoying on our part. Usual Slann builds that I see they usually take Loremaster, Extra dice when casting each spell and take the cupped hands magic item, which moves any miscast result to any magic caster on the battlefield (OUCH!!!!).

Enkhil's Kanopi would be an ok magic item to take, it would be more of a pain for the Slann to re-cast throne of Vines every turn but that would be about it. The best option that I can see in trying to get rid of it would be to take a Lore of Death High Priest. The Purple Sun will cause mass damage across any Lizardmen army (as they have worse Initiative then we do). Also direct damage spells would also effect the Slann, especially The caress of Laniph (Spell 2) as it would negate that special ward that they Slann has.

Personally I would not worry about killing the Slann until combat. Try and negate as much of the Slann's magical influence as possible and get into combat. A large unit of Tomb Guard (28 in a 7x4 formation) with a Prince on board with a Incantation of Righteous Smiting will put the hurt on the Temple Guard and believe it or not the Tomb Guard will go first with I3 over the guards I2. Charge a hammer unit into the side of the Temple Guard (like a sphinx, Ushabti or Necro Knights) in the side and hope to break them with CR. That is your best hope IMHO.

Happy Hunting.......

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
I agree, lore of death... And the hex from our own lore on the temple guard. Actually, the kb incantation on the Tomb Guard is nice for instakilling with 1/3 of your hits. I think this is one case where we can match another army deathstar for deathstar. With the named necrotect and a TK on board in a horde of TG, you don't have to put the tect in harm's way, since five 25mm bases are only slightly wider than six of ours, making for 8 models in contact with five... Put the tect on the corner and laugh all the way to the bank as you dish, not counting your king's contribution, 32 ws7 kb attacks with rerolls, and that's without magic! The only thing to worry about is salamanders, so you need fast warmachine hunters... since you also need 25% core, use units of ~4 chariots on both flanks to hunt down the sallies while going a fair way towards satisfying core. Funny thing is that you don't need to upgrade your TG with halberds. Kb is kb, using life to boost the temple guard's toughness.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback, you guys. So you would only kill the Slann with magic? What happens if he manages to survive Purple Sun and everything else and I'm in melee with him. Ill have to stick a magic weapon on the prince just to kill him since it seems like that not much gives us magical attacks and you cant simply stick the magical flaming banner in that unit of TG and be done with it (Even though banner of undying legion is better, im still speaking situationally. And what the hell? Magical banner magically DOES NOT add magical flame to the units weapons?) What then?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
A Thundercrush is actually a sneaky-good way of hampering the Slann. It doesn't allow Look Out Sir! rolls, as it is a template that happens in the Close Combat phase, it's almost trivially easy to dump it on the big frog's head, and it's an S9 hit that inflicts D3 Wounds. It's a bummer if he makes his Ward save, but it's also awesome if he doesn't. ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
rothgar13 said:
A Thundercrush is actually a sneaky-good way of hampering the Slann. It doesn't allow Look Out Sir! rolls, as it is a template that happens in the Close Combat phase, it's almost trivially easy to dump it on the big frog's head, and it's an S9 hit that inflicts D3 Wounds. It's a bummer if he makes his Ward save, but it's also awesome if he doesn't. ;)
There is two problems with that, firstly it has already been stated that this particular slann will be ethereal so it will not be effected from the thunder crush attack and secondly it would be rare if the center hole would be over the slann anyway (this is from my own personal experience where all of my opponents that have lizardmen run the slann units 6 wide)

Otherwise it would be a good strategy for doing atleast something. I haven't got my book infront if me but can the TG unit champion carry a magic weapon??? His killing blow could come in handy butchering the slann if and when you kill enough temple guard and the slann is in base contact.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
6-wide is irrelevant - you have to place the template in base contact with the Sphinx, and there's exactly 1" between him and the Slann in the second rank. You could run that unit 10-wide and still catch him in the template. If he does bring him as an Ethereal every fight... well then you have a problem that really is only solved by a character, and that usually takes time, barring a lucky Killing Blow (and even then, no guarantees).

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
Take a two pronged approach of you want to kill him with a magic weapon. First, kill off the temple guard with your tomb guard, maybe with support from a warsphinx in the flank... The problem is that you can't guarantee that a prince in the unit survives that long... So you need him to be elsewhere, or you need another one. The prince with a magic weapon who swoops in for the coup is a charioteer lined up in the flank (opposite the warsphinx, if you used one).

·
Benevolent Dictator
9,222 Posts
Careful - Templeguard go Stubborn if they include a Slann in their midst, and they are Cold Blooded to boot. Expecting them to fail a Break test is pretty hard, even if you're consistently winning the combat. Lore of Death can help by dropping their overall Ld, but this fight is going to be a long grind.
If there's anything that you TK guys have that lets you just supercharge a unit for a single turn, that would be the route that I take, and then send in your elites to deal with these giant gatorskin handbags. With my Warriors it's usually a matter of sending in Frenzy, Poisoned Warriors with Halberds, cranking them up with Okkam's Mind Razor for a round or two, nerfing his WS with Miasma, and then praying I don't fluff the roll.

·
Registered
3,532 Posts
~shrug~ nobody expects to break temple guard! Hence the discussion of how to kill an ethereal slaan by putting actual wounds on him. Tomb guard have three advantages: smaller bases for a greater density of attacks, and the lore attribute. Honestly, it's as simple as winning through attrition. If we happen to get off the spell that boosts us to a 5+ killing blow, that's a welcome bonus. So step one, killing off the TG, is pretty straightforward. Step two, getting a prince with a magic weapon into base to base contact afterward, that's the tricky part!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's pretty much the thought... Thanks for the input. Ill smash him with a sphinx and tomb guard, destroy the lizards, kill the frog through combat res or my prince. Groovy.

·
Registered
42 Posts
to get the prince into base contact shouldnt be all that problematic. one way is mount him and hold him for a flank charge, either in a chariot or on a steed. or keep him in the cornor of the regiment and wait for it to get killed. granted that last one isnt a very good one. lastly place the prince in the middle where he can strike, and give him a ward safe and a cheap magic weapon.
for instance tormentors sword (A monster or character that suffers ab unsaved wound from the tormentor swords has the stupidity special rule for the rest of the game) + talisman of preservation (+4 ward safe).
those two items comes at a price of 50 points together. sword is at 5 points, should be managable :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts