Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are washes/inks useful at all when you paint Space Marines, save for occasional fleshy bits? I've never heard of anyone using them on armor so far.

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
I use them quite a lot on my imperial fists. I start off with a white undercoat and then use Iyanden dark sun. A (really) watered down wash of chestnut ink gets into all the recesses before I coat it again with yellow. Then I give it a yellow wash before I give it the final highlights.

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
It speeds up the task, I don't like using washes on power armour myself though. Watered down paints stop you from getting that horrible localized shinyness that inks give, as [I assume] does varnish. It really depends on the look you are going for; many people will ink the armour, others will not.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So if I'm painting Ultramarines, should I use black wash or mix some blue into it first?

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
I'ld go with a very thinned darker blue, or ideally ultramarines blue and black mix. That's just how I do things though but I definitely wouldn't go black over light blue.

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
Even a purple wash to get into the recesses would be highy effective, before drybrushing/highlighting the raised areas with blue again.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'ld go with a very thinned darker blue, or ideally ultramarines blue and black mix. That's just how I do things though but I definitely wouldn't go black over light blue.
Allright... but I don't really get it? Do I mix washes with washes, washes with colors or water with colors?

·
575 Posts
Basically you mix anything up with water (to make it thinner) including washes.

That's because pure washes are also quite colour-intensive. For example: undiluted black ink will not just emphasize the recesses etc but also darken the whole colour.
Of course, there might be cases where this is wanted, but generally you take quite some water with your inks/washes (at least as much water as ink/wash, but that's up to your preferences)

As for other people mentioning mixing colours with water: that's to make some homemade washes... or why spend money on blue/red/whatever ink when you just have to take a tiny drop of colour and mix it up with lots of water (and here I really mean lots :) at least 1 to 10 colour:water for making homemade ink, rather 1:20)

A lot of people just have 1 or two actual inks/washes for stuff they really need often and improvise the rest (I have for example just black ink and flesh wash at home, the rest will be made up as needed ;Y )

·
Registered
139 Posts
i use inks on quite a lot of my mini's, mostly SM and IG, i find that they work well on blank bits of armour, like ....all of the SM armour and cadian chest armour

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
An ink is a dilute paint, sold for washing, a wah is very thin paint "washed" over the surface of a model to give an effect. Basically ink is a noun whereas wash is a verb.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay... though I still don't really get it. Do you mix inks with colors or do you use them as you do with washes?

·
4,967 Posts
Use Johnsons Klear floor polish and water and uink to wash SM armour. I prefer 40& Klear floor polish, 40% water and 20% ink. It makes them a more uniform effect and stops localised shinyness in the recesses by breaking the surface tension.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I live in Sweden. No Klear over here. And I think the ones that are available around these parts will reduce my models to sad puddles of has-been plastic material.

·
A bit of alright.
675 Posts
Okay... though I still don't really get it. Do you mix inks with colors or do you use them as you do with washes?
You can wash with an ink or a thinned paint or a mix of the two, getting the right colours, effects and consistancies is all practise though.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts