Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
UnderWater Ninja-Tiger ..
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In many cases, I've heard that the main target of Sniper Rifles are Monstrous creatures. (ex. Sniper rifles can wound models with a 2+ armour save like Tyranid monstrous creatures, high toughness models like Wraithlords, and models with an invulnerable save like Greater Daemons and C'tans.)

But I fail to see how. What I see per the 4th ed. rulebook pg.32 is they hit on a 2+(superb) wound on a 4+(50%) regardless of toughness. That is still praying that the Hive Tyrant rolls a 1 on the armor save.

Is there something I'm missing? Is there some other attribute that negates the armor save? Since rolling 2d6 for AP actually gives you a 25% chance to glance+ an AV of 10 (skimmer). But all regular armor saves apply?

ThanX for any help

·
Librarian from Hell
4,133 Posts
You've got it just right. Ther's no hidden AP bonus just all the things you've said.
The only thing I think you got wrong is the need for the Tyrant needs to roll a 1 on his armour save. It'll not be just one save that Tyrant needs to roll that turn.
The infiltration is also a good way to make sure you get one or more turns of good shooting at it.

·
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
ThanX guys. I'm guessing with all the things I've been trying to look up I'm getting some older "Tactica" when sniper rifle rules were different or something. I only started modelling and playing for about 2 months now.

My last question regarding Sniper rifles, is do they ever ACTUALLY pin anything. Ork mobs with 12+ always pass leadership and every Tyranid squad has a hive node mutation Ld 10? when would pinning become useful enough to halt a rushing squads?

True, the Hive Tyrant typically has a 3+ save but its always upgraded to a 2+ (when playing my step-son). True the other members of the squad will be firing also, but 5-6 hits, is currently RARELY netting me a wound on the thing, then I'm completely toast when in CC. I'll most likely post in an army forum to ask for advice vs. specific opponents. I'm currently getting slaughtered by Orks or Tyranids when playing a small (500 pt Army) match. I just can't seem to muster enough firepower to kill the HQ's of either side. (trying to stay balanced but with emphasis on shooting)

·
Registered
94 Posts
You only heard half the story. Sniper Rifles are used to take out Monsterous Creatures, but not Tyranid Monsterous Creatures. They are useful against C'Tan, The Avatar, Greater Demons, and the like; anything with a 4+ save or worse but high toughness. The way to deal with Tyranid Monsterous Creatures is lots of plasma guns, assault cannons, lascannons, multi meltas, and power fists.

·
Gone
1,286 Posts
Snipers are meant for taking out other units, like devastators, or heavy weapons teams, or even assault squads. They are not meant for shooting at Tyranids, ever.
Their Monstrous Creatures would laugh at an army of snipers, and they have so many of the little buggers that snipers don't kill enough fast enough.

So, your answer is this: ditch the snipers for missile launchers.

·
785 Posts
rgr that. Missle Launchers seem better except that even the AP (_, krak)on them is still savable. Plasma/Lascannons sound like the winners, just going to be expensive to field a devastator unit with a serious lean on lascannons. I'll lose my scouts (although I love the models, I've painted), and my LST is getting blown off the map in turn 1/2 everygame by the vennom cannon.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Snipers are meant for taking out other units, like devastators, or heavy weapons teams, or even assault squads. They are not meant for shooting at Tyranids, ever.
Their Monstrous Creatures would laugh at an army of snipers, and they have so many of the little buggers that snipers don't kill enough fast enough.

So, your answer is this: ditch the snipers for missile launchers.
Missile launchers are not much better against 2+ armor saves.

Lascannons are too expensive to put into devastator squads. Try tactical squads with a plasma gun, lascannon, and power fist.

Vehicles are not the greatest against Tyranids - they tend to get shot up by venom cannons, especially light vehicles like land speeders. On the other hand, venom cannons can only ever glance, so if that is the only ranged weaponry that the Tyranid player is using (doubtful, but possible), then you could actually opt to move your land speeders less than 6" a turn so that if they suffer an immobilizing hit they do not become destroyed.

Edit: Sorry for the double post, I was writing the previous one while Xpyre35 was posting his. - Not a problem. Post Merged. - Katie D

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
You could also try a drop pod or two. Use the trait cleanse and purify to double up on plasma. And don't forget the powerfist. Stuff them all in a drop pod (at least 8 marines in a pod I find is best) and make the Hive Tyrant cry. Just use plastic cups for the pods, bigger ones preferably. I actualy added carboard wings (don't laugh) to mine and glued on extra stormbolters that I had lying around...

Alltough in small point games... drop pods can be risky... but then again, so is spending a ton of points on a hive tyrant. >.>

·
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
You could also try a drop pod or two. Use the trait cleanse and purify to double up on plasma. And don't forget the powerfist. Stuff them all in a drop pod (at least 8 marines in a pod I find is best) and make the Hive Tyrant cry. Just use plastic cups for the pods, bigger ones preferably. I actualy added carboard wings (don't laugh) to mine and glued on extra stormbolters that I had lying around...

Alltough in small point games... drop pods can be risky... but then again, so is spending a ton of points on a hive tyrant. >.>
I've been seeing alot of this use trait Clease and Purify, I looked them up, but I never hear which drawback to take. I guess in small matches it wouldn't matter.

Additionally, if you use Cleanse and Purify, you can take two assault. Could you then give Term. honors to the Sgt. and then give him another Plasma Gun ? giving you 3 in a 5 man combat squad?

·
Archmagos
904 Posts
Additionally, if you use Cleanse and Purify, you can take two assault. Could you then give Term. honors to the Sgt. and then give him another Plasma Gun ? giving you 3 in a 5 man combat squad?
No; The trait only allows for 2 of those weapons in the squad, and Plasma Guns aren't in the armory.
You could give him a Combi-plasma, but it's not really a true Plasma Gun.

·
Banned
2,425 Posts
ThanX qsd. I didn't realize it wasn't listed, I kept seeing the plasma pistol.
Even then you're throwing 5 shots that will deny any sort of armor at that Hive Tyrant. It may be worth considering but keep in mind that it won't be effective against every army. Imperial Guard for example don't really have any heavily armored targets like that so the best you could really do is blast away some Stormtroopers or go for the side armor on tanks or what have you.

Katie D

·
Registered
144 Posts
No; The trait only allows for 2 of those weapons in the squad, and Plasma Guns aren't in the armory.
You could give him a Combi-plasma, but it's not really a true Plasma Gun.
It may not be a true plasma gun but really count how many times you get to fire your plasma gun in a game anyway

1 - 15 of 15 Posts