Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

So, a friend of mine has convinced me to get back into 40k, which I left a few years ago (in the process chucking out 3.5k of Mech Tau >.<). I notice that there's another new rulebook and ANOTHER new SM Codex. And I find myself wondering, what the hell?

So, basically, experts in the field of Space Marines you, please enlighten me to what has changed in the last, say, two years, metagame wise. Are the Eldar still incredibly annoying in pretty much every way? Do the 'nids still swarm your tactical squads like a bad rash? Are the new Space Marine rules broken?

Bearing in mind that I have read the new codex and will shortly be posting an army list, but I'm completely out of touch with the metagame. Any helpful pointers would be much appreciated :)

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
Don't throw out your mech Tau, just the FW. Semi mech with suits and Hammerheads are quite nasty when done right.

SM got updated to finally be good. Pretty much everything is workable, and mech is the name of the game in 5th. Glancing hits no longer destroy vehicles (unless they're AP1) and meltas are king.

Eldar still work nicely, but they're reduced to a meager handful of builds (mech, Fire Dragons, Seers).

The metagame is more or less the same, people don't seem capable of grasping the core concepts of 5th ed and keep running foot Orks, gunlines, and mish mash armies and think it's great when they crush the other noobs they play with.

Were there any specific questions you had? It's kinda hard to boil down the past 2 years into a couple paragraphs :p

==My== recommendation: read this, it should set you on the right path.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Nah I already threw out the Tau, which yes I know was stupid. I'm a silly person.

You say Mech is king... that sucks, as I'm looking for an infantry based army. I'm really getting bored of the whole "Oh no, a Lascannon" routine. Is infantry possible at all? See here for my first attempt.

Is what you're saying that I'm not going to befacing too many mob armies any more? I seem to remember once beating a footslogger Ork armie in four turns with massed pulse fire... bolt guns might be a bit redundant I see.

·
Son of LO
3,930 Posts
The change to the vehicle damage table in 5th edition has drastically improved the usefulness of vehicles. Whereas before only Eldar or Tau could pull off a mech list due to their durable skimmers, it's now pretty much mandatory across the board. Aside from the devastating-when-done-right bike lists, I can't think of an army right now that wouldn't benefit from putting every squad in a vehicle.

·
Torn ACL FTL
4,404 Posts
If you wanna go infantry, you're going to be at a disadvantage since armor provides so many bonuses (mobility, firepower, buffer against shooting/assault, tank shock, etc), but some armies can make foot work.

BT can do foot pretty well, lots of Crusaders, Termies w/ Vet Skills, and fun bitz. BA do jump packs nicely. SW can do foot dudes with cav (Thunderwolves) or Termies (Loganwing). Vanilla doesn't do foot so well, but Bikes can be nasty.

·
1,880 Posts
I agree with what's been said. Glancing hits can't blow stuff up anymore (unless the target is open topped or the weapon is AP1) so the reason Mech is the MAIN way people go in 5th edition is because vehicles last a lot longer now! Full Mech lists are brutal. You bring some rhino/razorbacks, predators, vindicators, dreadnoughts, etc. If you had like 3-5 vehicles you'd have a hard hitting list. The rhinos are nice because they can get you up close and personal real quick. Razorbacks are dirt cheap but can have nice weaponry :)

I'd also say 2nd most brutal thing in 5th edition is close combat! If you were tooled up like black templar or some HEAVY hitting close combat squad and can successfully get them into combat...winning that combat is huge! With the loser subtracting number of wounds they lost by to their leadership it's quite easy to destroy HUGE points of squads just because you won by a few wounds. So power weapons and such can be brutal.

A buddy of mine had a command squad with some huge named character (black templar) and he just mauls stuff up. I know Black templar are mostly a CC army, but tooling a standard space marine assault squad wouldn't be bad. I've been contemplating a jump pack squad with sergeant and chaplain lately. Quick moving, hard hitting...

·
Registered
79 Posts
just because a army seems weaker on paper does not mean its going to lose every time there is always an angle you can use to your advantage. Mix your foot with armor Ive seen tau in action and there strongest point is there armor, as ==me== says use this to your advantage. this is the one point that if used right can outmaneuver and lay down some pretty impressive firepower at times.

i havent seen a footslogger army but i can vouch for the mech aproach it seems there strongest set up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.