Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After more then a year working on my Nids, I found my self all "Tyranid-ed out." So I put the bugs away and dug out my Sisters. First project in an Exorcist. I find the whole pipe organ/calliope look to be too campy for my taste, so I'm replacing it with a Whirlwind missile system.

I wanted to dress up the interior a bit, so I did a web search for images of angels. Looking for old paintings and stained glass windows, anything with an old church feel to it. I printed a couple things out, cut them to fit and glued them into those recessed areas above the bench seats. I think they look pretty good. I'd like to find a nice fler-de-lis decal for the door to the drivers compartment, but otherwise I think the interior is about done.

I'm not really happy with the video screens...Going to have to give them a bit more thought.

Comments welcome.

Attachments

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Nice idea with those 'devotional images!' You've got a nice clean look going with the tank, too, and I quite like that.

I'm not sure if I can suggest anything for the screens. They look alright to me as they are, although perhaps they do verge on the plain side. Maybe just a highlight in the corner? Or did you actually want something on the screen?

Windows 40K, perhaps?

·
Registered
62 Posts
!! I thought for a second that you had painted those angels on!! Then I reread and my awe at amazing freehand skill was withdrawn to a degree! Nice look with crisp clean lines. definately try highlighting the screens - or do the radar part circle like a clock hand whizzing around thing if that makes sense...
SOBs are awesome, you chose well.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I WISH I had that kind of free hand skill :)

The more I looked at this, the less happy with it I became. It needed to feel more "Cathedral-ish" So I decided to redo it. I wanted it darker, but with some gold trim.
I added a few pieces of tubing, and a censer from a Dark Angels sprue. Painted all the ghost grey areas over in Boltgun Metal, then black washed it to tone down the shine and add some age to it. Painted in some gold, and redid the screens. (You know, I think I just lacked the confidence to try freehanding some details on the screens, but after I decided to just give it a try, I think they look pretty decent.) I put a big Fler-de-lis in the inset for the top hatch, (Cathedrals always have things painted on the ceiling).

I assembled the missile launcher pretty much stock, except I sanded off the skull insignia on the sides and replaced it with a Fler-de-lis charm I found in the jewelry section of a craft store.

Tip for other Sisters players: I found lots of cool Fler-de-lis bits at Hobby Lobby and Micheal's, (Two big craft chains in my part of the country)

Comments welcome.

Attachments

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Good job with those screens! You really have livened that panel up a lot, it looks pretty impressive! I like the flur de lys on the inside roof, too. Really nice touches that are making this a truly unique tank!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Assembly is complete.

just a few small mods on the outside;

I never liked the exhaust stacks on the rhino, so I replaced them. 4mm plastic rod, cut at 45 degrees and glued back together so it forms a right angle. Then hollowed out the open end with the point of an exacto knife.

I added 2mm thick plastic sheet to the front of the lower hull, then filled the gaps with putty.

I cut the storm bolter mount from the space marine cupola and glued it to the sisters cupola. The gunner is from the old Immolator model, with the hands from the exorcist's gunner/organist

I'll glue the fler-de-lis devices to the side hatches after they're painted.

Now it's ready for primer and paint :)

Attachments

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
I never realised quite how large that missile launcher was. Looks pretty good, though!

Best of luck with the painting, hope it all goes well!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Really nice work. I always wanted to see what a whirlwind turret would look like on top of the pedestal thing on the sisters rhino- it looks great. I have one of the pipe organ exorcists- I kept the organ part because I thought a heavy, baroque model would be a nice center piece to the army, but I'd never want to field more than one of them. When I add another exorcist, I'm definitely going the whirlwind route after seeing your pics.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the kind words :)

Yes, that missile launcher looks bigger then I expected. Almost awkwardly so. It makes the whole model seem a bit taller then it should be. Like if the missiles were actually fired, the whole tank would flip over backward. I'm planning on doing a 2nd and perhaps a 3rd copy of this one. Perhaps a dozer blade on the next one would help it seem longer and a bit more balanced. Then again, most GW models seem a bit distorted, so maybe I'm just being too picky.
Not using the sisters top piece would lower the launcher a bit, but I really like the feel those arched window parascopes give to the model.

comments?

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
I don't think the gigantic missile launcher is necessarily a bad thing, given the nature of the exorcist. And, if you want to get technical... I don't think the launching of the missile has all that much effect on the tank. They launch bigger rockets than that from the back of fairly light trucks in this era, so it's definitely possible.

I don't think lowering the launcher is worth losing the Sister-specific look of the tank, in my opinion.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's all but done. Painting is complete, except for a spray coat of clear matte varnish, (But it's like 6 degrees F outside right now, so that's going to have to wait). And the gunner still needs a little work before I can glue her in place.

Overall I'm pretty pleased with it. Nice piece to start off my Sisters project.

Attachments

·
Registered
174 Posts
Excellent work. I really like what you've done with the armour plates- I never really liked the way the heavy metal team painted theirs. Also, the shot that shows the interior is wicked! Especially the ceiling in there.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Wow. . . simply stunning! Now I want to see it painted!!!!! That was amazing detailed work on the inside by the way.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Next up is building the whirlwind's Rhino, and Sister-izing it with some of the left over parts from the exorcist.

·
Sir Proofreader
4,251 Posts
Wee-hee! Awesome work there, the near-finished product looks fantastic! A really nice centrepiece for your army.

I'll have to keep an eye out for the impending Rhino!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts