Librarium Online Forums banner

Some good news for the races that need new models

3K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  bLACKoPS0815 
#1 ·
Ok, well, while this rumour is based on fairly shaky foundations (a website and a confirmation by a redshirt manager), i have heard news that GW has changed it's policy to draw in the customers that are getting annoyed with the lack of models for their races. With the final aim of changing everything to plastics, GW are apparently releasing a new boxed set for every race per year - so basically, every year every race will get an update to some of their old models, for example maybe eldar will get new rangers, orks will get a new trukk, etc.
I was just wondering if anyone else had heard this rumour, with some evidence to substantiate it? To me, it sounds good, and it also sounds like GW are also finally coming up with a decent marketing strategy - this will placate those who are baying for new models for their race, but also encourage impulse buying by people who see the new models that are better quality than their old variant.

LoC

#2 ·
It certainly sound possible and logical as well. Plastic is chepaer than metal any way so they would cut costs (which is always good for a business) and make boxsets with better components.

I think it is going to happen, since 40k gaot its update and fantasy has its on the way GW may have decided noe is the time for a complete reinvention of the models from metal to plastic.

It seems like GW has finally got its act together.

#6 ·
possibly because they were sculpted and the molds made long before this idea was thought of and put in practice.We have seen the vespid models since gamesday '05 remember.

#9 ·
I remember hearing or reading somewhere that they will still use metal for some models, because metal models let them do things that they can't do with plastic, and they have more detail.

#12 ·
"With the final aim of changing everything to plastics, GW are apparently releasing a new boxed set for every race per year - so basically, every year every race will get an update to some of their old models, for example maybe eldar will get new rangers, orks will get a new trukk, etc."

Isn't this already obvious? And not even a rumor? We all know taht Every army will be redone for the 4th edition, then eventually would come the 5th edition.

#13 · (Edited)
Ebon Hand said:
I remember hearing or reading somewhere that they will still use metal for some models, because metal models let them do things that they can't do with plastic, and they have more detail.
True, but i believe the difference between plastic and metal model's details are minimal now. I'm pretty sure that they can do the same with both materials now - i mean, look at the current plastic carnifex in comparison to the old metal one - oodles more detail. Same with things like the assault terminators (although the old assault termis didn't really need to be metal at all), marneus calgar, etc. They're all better than they were before. It also encourages people to buy bigger armies - when they see they can make an entire squad of aspect warriors or assault termis or whatever with one box, they end up spending a lot more money than they would if they had to make up the squad from blisters. It's a psychological thing, and it appears that GW is making a pretty good crack at exploiting it for once.

Isn't this already obvious? And not even a rumor? We all know taht Every army will be redone for the 4th edition, then eventually would come the 5th edition.
But i didn't say that at all. GWs normal policy is to go all out and redo one army at a time, as they have done with space marines, nids and are doing with tau. Now, in addition to blitzing one race, they are also sculpting ONE NEW UNIT from each race, per year, so every race gets something new a year, and one race gets entirely redone. In the end, this will save time, as say they redo chaos in, say five years time - five new units will already be created (or existing units redone), and all they'll need to do is release a new codex. Therefore meaning everything gets done quicker.

LoC

#15 ·
I'm pretty sure this is true................... I e-mailed GW and asked them why all models were not in plastic about 2 years ago and they told me that plastic models were more expensive to manufacture than metal ones. Can't wait for the new Tau..... other than the Ethereals, but their bodyguards are sweetness. I have dubbed them, "Blade Guard."

#16 ·
Brother Ares said:
yea i heard something like these today from my stores manager. He said the SM will get new plastic scouts.
Yup...scouts with sniper rifles...tsk...now that i've converted the normal plastic scouts into snipers they come up with plastic snipers...GAH.
I also heard they'll come up with a Venerable Dread PlasticBox...hnf

We'll see...

sO lONG

bLACK

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.