Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Glosscoated these for a wet, slimy look.

I'm waiting for my pin vice to come in the mail before I mount this guy and clearcloat the whole thing, so hes a bit shiny at the moment. I'm not completely happy with him, especially the sword blade. Considering just scraping the paint away on the blade to just have the bare metal showing...could always put more paint on it. I copped out on the eyes and made some warpaint instead. Doesn't look horrible though, so I guess I'm happy with that. I like how his skin came out, I think Rackham makes the Kelts way too light skinned considering they're half naked barbarians. I was going for a Native American fleshtone. My first ever cork base.

They're pretty hi-res shots, you can zoom in if you drag them to your own computer and view them.

Reactions: Zentradi

·
Thread Killer!
2,642 Posts
He really didn't turn out all that bad. Especially for your first "human skinned" figure in quite some time. The paintjob is very clean and I think you had some good success with the cork base. Good job.

Things I would look at in the future - The big area of work on him is the colors are all rather dark and tend to flow into one another. I would look at darklining between the various areas and then lightening (highlighting) the areas a lot more.

One thing I have found to be very good for "dulling" down metallics is Vallejo smoke. It is a brownish translucent paint that when thinned and applied to metal gives it an aged/used look. Black ink is good but can make the metal stand out too much sometimes.

Black edging around the tattoos would make them stand out more as well.

Highlighting in general will work wonders.

Again great effort. I wouldn't be disappointed if I were you.

Cheers,

-Mike

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
That’s very good :w00t:

Especially when I know that you are a bit new to painting.

I think the pink tentacle cud have used a little more shade. But they are nice.

As for the barbarian, what have you used to get the green metallic color? It looks nice.
To bad that I cant see the eyes, as you was complaining about them.

I don’t know a bout the skin color, its good that its dark, but it looks like it have a little green shade almost, this can be because the photograph.

The sword need some work, its the worst part IMO. It need some shades on the blade. I hate to paint metallic swords and I’m no good at it, so I cant really help you that much. If you have thick color on it you can get rid of the color on the sword and re paint it, if it thin I think you can work on it a bit more. Maybe ad some black to the metal to get some shades and more black to get some really dark shades?

You are improving :)

Edit: My post came a second after slorak, and I agree with the highlights of the skin some more extreme highlights shod be good.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah...I was a bit unhappy with how the leather parts dont really have much contrast with the skin. I may darken them up and highlight. I just finished scraping down the paint from the blade...to be honest I kinda like it bare metal. Kinda funny doing all kinds of crazy work trying to make it look like metal when it IS metal. haha.

The warpaint/eyes dont show very well in the pic. Its just a blue band across the eyes, with some verticle "The Crow" stripes over them in black. Then a matchign arm band. I wasn't able to get a very good pic, didn't really know my friends camera to well.

The tentacles are actually red washed with green and highlighted with hot pink but you cant really see that. I painted them really fast.

Thanks for the input guys. :)

The metalic bluegreen is Golden Acrylic "Silver", with a touche of Golden Fluid Acrylic "Phthalo Green (Blue Shade)" mixed in. The fluid acrylic tint the silver very well and evenly.

Thanks for the tip on the Smoke Slorak, i'll look into it.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Heres another, slightly different angle. Can see the blue a bit better.

·
The Dvl in Pale Moonlight
889 Posts
I can only agree, you should proud. nice job :yes:

I disagree on the blade it looks good and dont think bare metal will look at too well after awhile.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts