Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So i was surfing the forums and i came across this in another post http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/pdf/IA2Update28Aug.pdf

Mostly I am concerned with the Rhino and Chimera on pages 16-17

This is an IA update for IA 2

1. WooHoo do we finally have 35 pt rhinos? it looks like it, but the extra armor now costs 15 pts, but we get smoke launchers for free. So from codex cost to new cost it is about 50 pts to 58, a minor savings of 8 pts but in an army when we are trying to squeeze every last drop out of our points a savings none the less. Same points saving goes for the Chimera
2. It says it is armed with a storm bolter, but also says it may take a storm bolter as an upgrade, does this mean we get Dual storm bolter rhinos?
3. We get the repair rule!
4. In the codex it says that if the Rhino's or Chimera's top hatch is used, then it counts as open topped. According to the rules, if a vehicle is open topped, then all the models in it get to shoot. In the updates, it says 2 models for the Rhino and 5 models for the chimera may shoot from the top hatch. How should this be interpreted?

I personally think that if everyone gets to shoot, i will count the vehicle as open topped. If only 2 or 5 get to shoot, its not. However i could see using the rhino or chimera as a gunboat, toting around 5 man IST squads with 2 plasmas, 2 meltas, or 2 flamers each, making them into vicious light tanks. Rhino gets 2 storm bolters (if it flies) + 2 Special weapons of your choice? thats 4 bolter shots and the 2 special weapons, not counting as open topped. Chimera gets 2 Heavy Flamers mounted on it + the two IST flamers inside (hehe funny pun, i dont think the god-emperor would look kindly on gay ISTs) anyway, 4 flamers in one tank, goodbye any light infantry. And all this without anyone in the tanks having to disembark, so on your next turn you just drive away and repeat. With a heavy bolter loadout on the chimera, 2 heavy bolters + 2 Grenade Launchers using krak grenades thats 6 Str 5 AP 4 shots and 2 Str 6 AP 4 for medium infantry. Meltas and plasmas would probably work better with Rhinos.

Please post your thoughts, I know some of this is bending the rules a little for our benefit, but like i said, just trying to squeeze every last point out of our beloved Grey Knights.

RIght now i have about 8500 pts of pure grey knights, but this may make me look into IST's and Rhinos

·
3,395 Posts
1. WooHoo do we finally have 35 pt rhinos?
If your local group uses IA rules, yes.
Otherwise no.
As a side note - if you use the IA2 vehicle rules you should use them all or nothing, including things like the new (inferior) smoke launchers. Don't pick and choose sources.

2. It says it is armed with a storm bolter, but also says it may take a storm bolter as an upgrade, does this mean we get Dual storm bolter rhinos?
Codex rhinos have always been able to buy a second storm bolter.

4. In the codex it says that if the Rhino's or Chimera's top hatch is used, then it counts as open topped. According to the rules, if a vehicle is open topped, then all the models in it get to shoot.
RAI it's only supposed to apply to hits the vehicle takes in the opposing player's turn (see the WH codex), AFAIK the rhino's top hatch was treated as two firing points back in 3rd ed.
RAW in the DH codex it's a badly written and ambiguous rule that could be read either way - it doesn't even say how many people can use the top hatch.

In the updates, it says 2 models for the Rhino and 5 models for the chimera may shoot from the top hatch. How should this be interpreted?
As normal firepoints, with no special rules.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts