Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
The Allmighty Chaos Boots
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The general idea with this list like some previous ones is to be as unfriendly as possible and outright dirty powergaming. I want people to scoop their minis when they read the list and for people to cry out in rage at the pure unfairedness of bringing such a blatant missuse of codex creep to a tournament.

The tournament will consist of 6 standard games with 2 points for win 1 for draw and 0 for loss. They will also have some sort of painting and comp contest but I'm not really interested in that. The purpose of attending is just to show how bad GW is at making the game aspect of the hobby.

Im expecting about 90% SM and 10% randoms. There will most likely be no chaos attending. All the games will all be to the letter from 5:th edition core rules.

HQ
2*CCS, medic, vox, standard ( 210 )

Troops
4*Vet squads 3 sniper rifles Lascan HWS, cammo cloaks, vox ( 560 )

2*infantry squad ( 730 )
PCS, VOx
2*Infantry squad, HB HWS, Vox
1*Infantry squad, HB HWS
1*Infantry squad, AC HWS, VOX
1*Infantry squad, ML HWS, VOX

Thats 160 guardsmen with 14 heavy weapons and 12 sniper rifles.

The general idea is that very few opponents will be able to cause more damage at >24" forcing them into flashlight range which is bad for them and the few lists that do outshoot it >24" that are not relying on AV for that dakka will not be able to kill enough of them before they can walk into <24".

The list may appear a bit on the static side but with this many guardsmen loosing a turn of shooting just to walk into range isn't much of a problem.

If anybody says throw out the vets and get more infantry squads I would just like to say that 200 guardsmen are hell to fit into some deploymentzones. 160 is bad enough.

Now feel free to tell me I'm a sodding idiot and that this won't work just motivate it please :p

·
Registered
2,884 Posts
You're a sodding idiot and this list wont work. :p dont say you didnt see it coming.

You're running an infantry spam army list, and your squad setups are questionable in the least.

Your company command squads have medics, they are crap outside of uber command squads, in uber command squads they are worth their points, but the rest of the squad isnt. Drop the medics.

Snipers are garbage. krak grenades are better with everything but range and monsterous creatures. Lascannons are anti vehicle, but your snipers are anti infantry, and anti morale. Swap the snipers with grenade launchers and drop the lascannons down to missile launchers for a potential 4 blast coverage. Also the camo isnt as good as you seem to think, if you drop it along with my other suggestions you will have saved 200pts!

You're going to have to get or contest objectives at some point in 2/3rds of your games. Yet nothing in your force is mobile. Yet you have 2 large infantry platoons that can take an unbeleivable amount of punishment. Give your platoons special weapons and use them to advance in the mid-late game to capture objectives, after helping to snipe your opponents transports in the early goings. Meltaguns for this group will leave you with 100pts, get a duo of commissars, each with a power weapon in case of annihilation games, so you can blob your guys up. Drop the vox system and get your infgantry squads and commissars some meltabombs, these will fill that last of the points and help incase of a dread or something charging one of your blobs.

Sorry to be so brutal, but I honestly think that your force has almost no mobility and is just too many killpoints, meaning that if your opponent survives the game he'll have a extremely good shot at winning. Unless he sits in front of your army and tries to blindly kill, in annihilation he should be able to kill a feww infantry squads then hide and your lack of mobility and indirect fire will allow him to do this.

The Emperor Protects

·
The Allmighty Chaos Boots
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
haha just what I wanted to hear.

Dropping the medics would see these squads dead some time during turn one shooting phase. and without them the infantry goes *splut* after 3 bolter hits per squad. this would seriously reduce the amount of actual wounds on the table to closer to 70-80 rather than 160 don't you think? The deploymentzone will be so cramped anything that starts to run is dead due to no retreat without those flags there is no lasgunswarm. If anything I was thinking about throwing some advisors/guards at them to give them more wounds.

Duly noted sniper rifles being crap but I need those lascannons somewhere so I guess I'll just swap to ML. Cammo on a unit with an effective range of 36" is however a pretty good idea as the only things shooting at it early will be guns that ignore armor and if I can force priority on these squads and have them save like marines thats alot of guns not chewing up the rank and file guardsmen. without the lascan on them however the enemy can just ignore them as the ML is not reliable AT. Sniper rfles on them is mostly to give them something to do after the armor targets are down and to assist in shooting light transports (lucky rends ftw) when these squads switch to nonarmor targets I still expect them to remain out lasgun range otherwise I would have skipped spec weapons alltogether for FRFSRF or given them plasmaguns.

As to the set up of the infantry squads the point is to get as much dakka as possible for the least amount of points. I'd rather have MLs all over with a few lascans sticking out but its tight on points and deployment space. So as far as horde control goes the heavybolter are actually on par with MLs vs meqs and the AT should be managed by 4 lascans 2 autocans and 2 MLs. The rest is about FRFSRF and torrents of heavy bolter shells.

Special weapons cost lasguns. against an assualt termie I'd rather have 9 lasgun shots at rapid fire than 2 plasmagun shots with a guy wearing 5+ armor. Same goes for meltaguns who really shouldn't have any viable targets after turn 3 which is the earliest time I would consider moving forward to cap objectives. These squads don't really need special weapons to advance I had 15 assualt termies+ lysander drop infront a dumbed down version of this and after 20 minutes of dice rolling in my following shooting phase there was exactly 1 assualt termie left.

I don't see how capping objectives is any problem with this list. there will be 3-5 of them and if my opponent sticks his or hers in one deployment zone I will stick mine in my deployment zone if the opponent sticks them in the middle I'll do the same. Either way I'll have half capped from start to finish or worst case be able to swarm all of them on turn 4. Even if an opponent plays safe there are really good odds for me being able to completly wipe out an enemies forces in 5-6 turns or at least kill off all or most of the opposing scoring units.

Commissars are a waste of points imo anything that endsup in cc will be dead anyways and I'd rather have more fodder for the meatgrinder. 1 commisar is 7 guardsmen after all.

kill points... this list has 10-18 kill points combining squads is risky but totally worth it. BUt I hear ya so how about this revised list

HQ
2*CCS, medic, vox, standard ( 210 )

Troops
2*Vet squads 3 sniper rifles Lascan HWS, cammo cloaks, vox ( 280 )

2*infantry platoon ( 780 )
PCS, VOx
2*Infantry squad, ML HWS, Vox
1*Infantry squad, LC HWS, vox
1*Infantry squad, AC HWS, VOX
1*Infantry squad, ML HWS, VOX

1*Infantry platoon (230) (swap this for scout sents or vendettas etc etc)
PCS, VOX
2*Infantry squad, ML HWS, Vox
1*Infantry squad, meltagun.

//under construction//

side note anything being able to fire indirect will probably be visable to something as I'll quite literally fill out the entire deployment zone and that kind of cover is rare.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Ehh... I would definitely not say that this list is demonstrating the power of the IG codex. Yeah sure you have a lot of bodies, but the vast majority are holding lasguns. You don't have near as much killing power as you could, and you are extremely light on anti-tank. It could just be a lot nastier all around.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
As KV said, it's hopeless. :)

Now here's a better (if wildly unoptimized list) that will get you closer to what you want:

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy, Wargames & Miniatures News: Bell of Lost Souls: 40K: Battleforge January Tournament Results (IG)

Ignore JWolf's blather, here's how it works:

You deploy your autocannons and other dakka behind the blob. Since you've got 2-3x more long-range firepower than your opponent will, and it's all in cover, your opponent will be forced to move forward into Strakken's squad and the nasty blob of doom. It's something of a bear trap. Made worse (better for you) by the fact that it looks like total crap on paper (Ratlings? HAHA!!! Urk!). So your opponent won't expect there to be any hidden surprises until it's too late.

It's not a balanced list though. The first enemy you come across that has long-range cover denying weapons or that can kill the blob will own you. Be warned. :)

·
Formerly Prince of Excess
3,560 Posts
The OP IG lists are already well known and widely played. Air Cav, lucky Manticore Spam and straight Mech. It's possible to slightly change these lists and be really successful but re-inventing the wheel, naw.

I'd give this an A for doing something different but I doubt many people will fear it. Not because it doesn't look scary but because it has obvious weaknesses a balanced list can exploit. A guy at my shop plays blob Guard and he has about a 50% win rate, balanced lists just stomp him.

·
Formerly Prince of Excess
3,560 Posts
I do wish all Infantry was viable as a competitive army, hopefully they tone down vehicles someday so there's more than one way to play for many armies.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts