Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was kinda thinking. Maybe Sonic blsters on your EC are good for CC. Because I was thinking how to equip my squads, and I can't help but want to give them all sonic blasters. Now here's my logic.

It's nice to have an extra initiative and an extra CC weapon, BUT, say I give them sonic weapons, even one Blastmaster, when I DO go to charge, I can unleash 2 shots because they are assault weapons instead of having an extra attack from two weapons. And that squad is much more versatile and can shoot and assault well, whereas a squad with CC weapons can only assault well. Still of course tooling up the AC to be a CC monster. So yes if the combat is prolonged they only have one attack each, but usually I find if the combat draws out for too long you're not doing well anyways. This way my squads can run around shooting people to pieces, then blast 2 assault shots a piece before charging, then charge and with I5 hopefully go first and they very well may be good and wiped out before they even attack back. And then that squad next turn can stay still and shoot THREE shots, or assault 2 and charge another squad.

WHat do you think?

·
Registered
368 Posts
Sonic Blasters are excellent weapons, but remember they are extremely expensive when equipped to only 1-wound models. Points wise i can normally only afford to equip 4 of em with sonic blasters. So go for it, just remember they will die just as easily as any other CSM squad but will be a lot more expensive.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I had forgotten one more point to make. Sonic Blasters cost five points. TO make a CC squad effective you should give them infiltrate, unless you want them tgo slog around all game not doing anything, and that costs 3, so really your troops are only 2 points more with the blasters.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I have often thought about doing this, this was my thoughts on the matter, and I think they're going allong the same logic you where using:

A squad becomes usefull when it can bring a meaningfull engagement to it's opponent.
A squad of EC armed like this (or similar)
AC with powerweapon, daemonic str, mentabombs, and daemonic mutation
4 noise marines with sonic blasters
1 noise marine with blastmaster

This squad is tough for the model count in close combat, and can engage a target 30" away. Because it can engage at good range (can attack into the opponents deployment zone) and shoot on the move it doesn't require transport

To me this setup plays a lot like grey knights. They would be tricky to learn to use properly. But can be effective. You will be able to outshoot armies that lack manuverability, and be able to fight well in CC. This sort of squad's biggest drawback is facing a shooting threat with high manuverability as it will then be very difficult to protect those expensive modles. Then agian every army has it's weaknesses.

·
389 Posts
northoceanbeach said:
I was kinda thinking. Maybe Sonic blsters on your EC are good for CC. Because I was thinking how to equip my squads, and I can't help but want to give them all sonic blasters.

WHat do you think?
There are some problems with this tactic.

1. In many situations it is unwise to shoot at the unit you are about to charge. A succesful volley may just let your opponent remove enough guys to leavy you stranded outside charging distance.

2. You lose one attack. BP+CCW also lets you shoot once before entering combat, AND gives you one extra attack in cc that will most likely come before the opponent due to Warp Scream. So, all in all you do not gain any real bonus on the round you charge the opponent. But you give yourself a penalty on all following assault fases.

3. CC squads survive and succeed on numbers. Numbers of bodies and numbers of attacks. Your tactic lowers the number of attacks and increases the overall cost of the squad. As soon as you get your squad into cc as they are meant to, you lose any bonus from the rather expensive sonic blaster, and as mentioned earlier it actually becomes a penaly in cc.

That being said I have found a similar tactic to work wonders for my Slaaneshi bikers and especially my Slaaneshi terminators. I often field a squad of 6 Slaaneshi terminators with 4 sonic blasters and 2 blastmasters. They can lay down an amazing amount of fire, and they deliver a serious amount of I5 (effectively) powerweapon attacks in cc. These are expensive elite units that can be expected to handle several things well. Normal marines are usually best left for either cc or shooting.

Arizzar

1 - 5 of 5 Posts