Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now to me it just seems like a clever marketing ploy employed by GW that they were magically able to find extra sets of Space Hulk around their storage right before christmas, but the bottom line is that they are indeed selling more copies of Space Hulk. From the sound of it it seems to be only from the Canadian and US stores at its origional price (rediculas as it may be for Canadians which happens to end in 75 cents). Enough of my ranting Ièll throw you up a link to the Canadian store Space Hulk | Games Workshop

·
Son of LO
3,930 Posts
You mean to imply that GW had purposefully limited supply to artificially increase demand?! Le gasp!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have a few redshirts I need to pay a visit to. All of them in my local were absolutely convinced that the only way to get Space Hulk was to find one on eBay that is rediculously overpriced. And I told them that this exact thing would happen, GW would magically come up with some more in time for christmas.

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
A mate of mine has the old Space Hulk box, i gotta say, i love the game, so it's good news a new batch is coming out. + GW would be real dumb to miss the holiday season with this.

·
859 Posts
It's in America and Canada because the initial splash didn't sell out, there is more stock over there. England isn't getting a second release and as far as I'm aware neither is mainland Europe.

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
It's in America and Canada because the initial splash didn't sell out, there is more stock over there. England isn't getting a second release and as far as I'm aware neither is mainland Europe.
Well, GW is stupid then, it's now been redundantly made clear.

·
i am da Wahhchief
2,419 Posts
like zema, im not sure why its good strategy if they only release it in the place where they didnt sell all in the first wave.

i know in central Holland there were not enough of them

·
859 Posts
Because the places that still have them were supposed to stop selling them after a certain time anyway. It's pretty much a "try again" they haven't made any more and redeploying them would be too costly in relative terms.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Pretty sure you're still able to try and buy space hulk through the English website, although it might apparantly be coming from their US stockrooms or some other hogwash. At least, when I looked yesterday I could get to the Space Hulk part of the shop which showed the price and had a little "add to cart" button.
So, probably a worldwide re-re-release, but with thier expansive US stockrooms as an excuse maybe?

·
2,076 Posts
Ragardless of if it was limited or not, I could not risk not getting it, even though I did not have the money to spend on it.
GW, you clever old dogs!

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
Stupid must mean good marketing that convinces almost all of us to at one point or another indulge into spending more money than we should.
That's nothing to do with marketing, that's having a dedicated fanbase. Not releasing a game intime for christmas or not having enough stock of said game, is just really, really stupid.
That's why all those computergames get released just before christmas: it's the time when the most sales are made.

·
Kut Maar Krachtig
4,014 Posts
They knew how many copies they produced and they know how many they sold.

They didn't just find more.

It's obvious this is an intentional marketing ploy.
As has been said, they did find more unsold stocks, which they decided to rerelease.So it's not even a qustion of finding. In some areas the first round it didn't sell great and now their spotlighting it again.
What they should've done, and any first year marketing student will tell you this, was go big for the holiday season. Make a lot of copies and advertise it big and get it in stores from the middle of november. Not be out of stock for the holidays.

So in a way, this isn't stupid, it's just too little and too limited, which once more makes it stupid.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
What they should've done, and any first year marketing student will tell you this, was go big for the holiday season. Make a lot of copies and advertise it big and get it in stores from the middle of november. Not be out of stock for the holidays.

So in a way, this isn't stupid, it's just too little and too limited, which once more makes it stupid.
But, GW is only concerned with the money they get from the product not the PR or fanbase it creates.

Hence why it might be more benificial to have 1 limited release then a 2nd super limited release to push the hype machine into overdrive so that all copies are sold.

If they do 1 large limited release it's possible they wont sell them all and they'll be left with a surplus after the holidays and the hype will have died down possibly leaving them with unsold units.

The way they are doing it allows them to sell every single copy which is what's important to them.

They're assholes for using such shady tactics but, as they've made it clear many many times: They're a business. They're not your friend. They're here to make money.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.