Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Knight-Champion
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Devastator Company

POINTS 100 + MODELS

In a Codex Space Marine Chapter, the Ninth Reserve Company will consist of Ten Devastator Squads. This is where a Battle Brother will learn the best use of Heavy Weapons, directed by the Captain of the Ninth, who has extensive experience in their application. Often their squads will be attached to the Battle Companies, but if deployed en masse, the Devastator Company will bring down whatever they target with accurate and sustained fire, coordinated through the targeting data shared between the Brother-Sergeants and analysed by their Captain.

FORMATION:

1 Space Marine Captain
1 Command Squad
3-10 ten-man Devastator Squads

SPECIAL RULES:

Signum Network: Each squad of Devastators may fire a number of weapons at BS5 equal to the number of Sergeants remaining in the formation whose squads are firing at the same target (firing must be declared simultaneously for the bonus to be granted), rather than just one.

Experienced Tank-Hunter: The Space Marine Captain may designate any unit within his line of sight as a target for the formation each turn. For the remainder of the turn, any shooting attacks from the formation targeting this unit count as having the Tank Hunters universal special rule.

"A Devastator's reach shall be without limit and his touch without mercy. Fire shall roar from his fingertips, but it shall consume him not. Thunder will roar when he call, yet it will swallow him not. Let the Devastator squad be thy blazing wrath, bringing the light of the Emperor's justice to the darkest corners of the battlefield. Wherever he stands, that shall be his fortress of righteousness. He shall hold in his gift the fate of all who pass before his unblinking gaze. All shall fear him, and he shall fear none." -Roboute Guilliman

·
Knight-Champion
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Actually...

mere moments after posting this one I've had some second thoughts.

I was thinking that rather than the Captain giving re-rolls against a designated target, he could grant tank hunters for any shots against a particular unit instead - that way I'm not giving MORE bonuses to hit, and it makes more sense that the Captain could use his experience to find weak points to target. Something like this:

Experienced Tank-Hunter: The Space Marine Captain may designate any unit within his line of sight as a target for the formation each turn. For the remainder of the turn, any shooting attacks from the formation targeting this unit count as having the Tank Hunters universal special rule.

What do you folks think?

·
Knight-Champion
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well that was my original thinking, but the thing is, they are already looking at BS5 for the more important shots thanks to the Signum Network, and Tank Hunters is a little more interesting and fluffy. It's also a nice boost, taking lascannons up to effectively S10, which is very handy in the context of Apocaylpse, but not too overkill against the backdrop of shields, structure points and D-weapons.

·
Knight-Champion
2,141 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just couldn't let this one site because I think the revised rule was much better, so I've changed it!

For anyone interested the original rule is preserved here for posterity:

Target Locked: The Space Marine Captain may designate any unit within his line of sight as a target for the formation each turn. For the remainder of the turn, any shooting attacks from units in the formation may re-roll missed to hit rolls against this unit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts