Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello chaps.

There's got to be some space marine players in here still. So, if there are. Do you use the Battle Company? I'm having trouble fitting it into 3000pts and I'm having trouble fitting in the things I want as I have ally in things like terminators - which is as annoying as well.

Basically, what I want to know is: Are the restrictions actually worth the benefits? The Combat Doctrines are awesome but at the cost of having to take some of the more lacklustre elements of our codex (looking at you Tactical squads).

·
Registered
490 Posts
With all the requirements, if you take any options within the troops etc. You are looking at almost 3500

Mine is 3525 with rhinos and razorbacks for the tactical and devastator marines teapectively...

So without, you save 440 points off the transport and the options I chose, and you are still over. Get rid of the jump packs on the captain, the chaplain, the command squad, death company squad, and you save another 85.

Brings you to a savings of 525... Which beings go down to a 3000 point slow moving space marine force.

·
Drill Sergeant
10,215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm struggling to get what I want into a 3k list. The BAttle Company formation is great but I feel that I've had to skimp on upgrades to get the minimum stuff in there and that means the list lacks teeth. Some of it is my own fault as I have a Land Raider spearhead in there and that takes up 750pts but the rest of it is fairly bog stand stuff. I'm left feeling that all the list does is spam cheap units.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Yes it is. The Battle Company rules come in to play when you use two Demi-Companies together, depending on the codex/chapter you get some different benefits.

Back on topic, I'm much the same. A lot of the formations seemed geared to high point games (I'm looking at you IG) and the battle compant falls into that. For it to be effective you need to spend big.

That's why I'm liking the wolves at the moment, some of their Great pack rules are really good and you can fit them into a reasonable sized game

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yes it is. The Battle Company rules come in to play when you use two Demi-Companies together, depending on the codex/chapter you get some different benefits.

Back on topic, I'm much the same. A lot of the formations seemed geared to high point games (I'm looking at you IG) and the battle compant falls into that. For it to be effective you need to spend big.

That's why I'm liking the wolves at the moment, some of their Great pack rules are really good and you can fit them into a reasonable sized game
Just to double-check, the current Codex: Adeptus Astartes still has a Marine on the cover, holding a gun - the type of which I forget - and pointing with a power fist?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Angels of Death contains rules for some new units (Contemptor Dreadnoughts, Terminator Captain and Cataphractii Terminators) and a compilation of Detachments and Formations taken from numerous supplements (War Zone Damocles, Sentinels of Terra and Clan Rauken) - and specialized Detachments for Iron Hands, Imperial Fists, White Scars, Ravenguard and Salamanders. It also includes the Librarius Conclave and the new SM Psychic disciplines. It's quite a handy book to pick up.

·
3,395 Posts
My marine force is an old legacy 4e Templar army, so not really geared towards the gladius.

However from the perspective of my regular (mechanised sororitas) army it is essentially the list I would normally take, with a few less guns but with colossal discounts and game-long re-rolls. At 15000pts it resembles a 2000pt WAAC 5th ed army, but it is more spam than substance. At 1850+pts it's tournament material, 4th place overall at adepticon this year and winner of the LVO among others.

·
Registered
42 Posts
My marine force is an old legacy 4e Templar army, so not really geared towards the gladius.

However from the perspective of my regular (mechanised sororitas) army it is essentially the list I would normally take, with a few less guns but with colossal discounts and game-long re-rolls. At 15000pts it resembles a 2000pt WAAC 5th ed army, but it is more spam than substance. At 1850+pts it's tournament material, 4th place overall at adepticon this year and winner of the LVO among others.
Aw you jammy sod; my best finish is third place in a 1000 pts mini-tournament in GW Dublin, Y-E-A-R-S ago, as I wasn't in a position to travel long distances to larger events. I would have liked to, but at the time I hadn't passed the driving test..... *grumble* *mutter* *grumble*

·
3,395 Posts
Aw you jammy sod; my best finish is third place in a 1000 pts mini-tournament in GW Dublin, Y-E-A-R-S ago
I didn't win, a gladius list did (or came close behind eldar, daemon summoning, invisible deathstars, or other shenanigan lists) :p

I'm more of a casual tournament player (local groups, any and all armies). It was good at the start of 5th and died slowly though that edition, then taudar shot it dead, then everything post 7e necrons buried it deep and salted the ground.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I didn't win, a gladius list did (or came close behind eldar, daemon summoning, invisible deathstars, or other shenanigan lists) :p

I'm more of a casual tournament player (local groups, any and all armies). It was good at the start of 5th and died slowly though that edition, then taudar shot it dead, then everything post 7e necrons buried it deep and salted the ground.
T.B.H, I'm not surprised; GW have NEVER cared much for balance, at least not since the demise of 5th Ed. WH40K.... :weep:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts