Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
haha question here for anyone really: Im reading over and over but i cant set the argument straight in my head its probably because I've read it too many times..... BUT....

Can 1 Command squad saaay lead by a Commander not in termie armor have both a librarian AND a chaplain join his squad, all as one HQ selection? It says in the codex your allowed one of a given type but I can't set it straight in my head if that means one total, or one of each. can anyone shed some light on that? Thanks in advance and best pre-mortem wishes to all!

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,150 Posts
Yes. A command squad led by any character of any type may then attach one chaplain and/or one librarian. This applies to terminator command squads as well. The trick is the only way to get a commander is have them lead the squad, they can't be attached. You could potentially get two chaplains or librarians in one squad if one leads and one attaches.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
Goblin Ninja said:
Can 1 Command squad saaay lead by a Commander not in termie armor have both a librarian AND a chaplain join his squad, all as one HQ selection?
No. Space Marine Commanders, Chaplains, and Librarians can only be taken in separate HQ selections and since an army can only have two HQ selections you cannot have all three. If one selection has a command squad and the other is alone then they can be attached during deployment or during gameplay.

·
Boiiing!
1,564 Posts
Ostsol said:
No. Space Marine Commanders, Chaplains, and Librarians can only be taken in separate HQ selections and since an army can only have two HQ selections you cannot have all three. If one selection has a command squad and the other is alone then they can be attached during deployment or during gameplay.
Errrr, yes they can. Read Pg 21 of the Space Marine Codex. Specifically the section entitled "Space Marine Characters" Point 3, Sentence 3.

"The attached characters, the squad, and the character leading it are a single HQ choice" (Sentence 1 deals with what characters can be attached to somone elses squad)

So, to clarify...

The attached characters (Chaplain and/or Librarian), the squad (Command Squad), and the character leading it (Captain/Master) are a single HQ choice"

So in essence.... a standard space marine army can include; 2 Masters, 2 Chaplains, 2 Librarians and 2 Command Squads. Taking all of those only takes 2 HQ slots.

((Also, edited the thread title so its clearer what the thread is about))

·
Registered
1,920 Posts

My mistake. . . but that's a pretty disgusting rule. Sure it's expensive, but that's a rather extreme amount of HQ power one can have.

·
Slave to the flesh
4,330 Posts
9 time out of 10 that rule is only worth it in a few situations-

A) If you have a really, really assaulty army
B) If you are playing in a 2000 point plus game

Otherwise it has limited use due to its horrendous points cost. Its even worse when done with a terminator command squad (which will need a LRC to get around if they aren't DSing).

I like it and have used it only a few times, it makes the squad an unbelievable bullet magnet (even more than a land raider) so most of them will die before they do much.

·
Boiiing!
1,564 Posts
Yeah, as The_Outsider says, it is hardly ever worth it to take so many HQ's.

As you have to have 3 in a squad to squeeze them all in, they are easy to mow down with lots of fire. (Hard to hide large units in cover) Also, due to the obscene amount of points it costs (Min of 320pts with no equipment) the squad will draw a lot of fire.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
In that sense it sounds alot like a Chaos retinue of Chosen.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
Hrm.

Might be useful in a very CC oriented Blood Angel list.

If you can give the command squad all jump packs.

If that's legal.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ostsol said:
In that sense it sounds alot like a Chaos retinue of Chosen.
Hey, Space Marines gotta have their perks, too.
But there are some truly great combos with this rule. Costly, but awesome. For example:
Master of Sanctity, with Librarian in squad, all with furious charge. Give Librarian might of heroes, terminator honors, and a familiar. Now, you've got an I7 (base 5, +1 familiar, +1 Furious Charge), S5, potentially 9 attack (3 base, +1 double-armed, +1Termie Honors, +1 charging, up to +3 from moght of heroes), force-weapon wielding monster who re-rolls all his misses the first round of CC. Who is also fearless, I might add.

OR

Commander w/ paired lightning claws, give librarian veil of time. The commander can now re-roll all hits and wounds!

Rediculously costly? Hell yeah. Worth it? Up to you.

·
Too Sexy For My Whirlwind
1,150 Posts
Commander w/ paired lightning claws, give librarian veil of time. The commander can now re-roll all hits and wounds!
Actually VoT can only be used on the librarian himself. MoH can be gifted to another character in the squad. Really powerful when your Commander with teh sword of secrets gets 3 extra attacks because of the lib. in his group. 9 str. 6 attacks on the charge.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Sabe said:
Yes. A command squad led by any character of any type may then attach one chaplain and/or one librarian. This applies to terminator command squads as well. The trick is the only way to get a commander is have them lead the squad, they can't be attached. You could potentially get two chaplains or librarians in one squad if one leads and one attaches.
Yup this is exactly how it works. Rarely useful except in a couple of situations. One such situation is for the dual FotA/FotD. With 2 libs in a squad you can really abuse these powers by doubling up on them. Add to that a terminator command squad so they can deepstrike and you have a unit that will route/pin as reliably as you can get in this game. Shooty infiltrating command squads can also make use of the dual FotA for extra shooting.

·
Banned
2,600 Posts
Grandmaster Adek said:
Hey, Space Marines gotta have their perks, too.
But there are some truly great combos with this rule. Costly, but awesome. For example:
Master of Sanctity, with Librarian in squad, all with furious charge. Give Librarian might of heroes, terminator honors, and a familiar. Now, you've got an I7 (base 5, +1 familiar, +1 Furious Charge), S5, potentially 9 attack (3 base, +1 double-armed, +1Termie Honors, +1 charging, up to +3 from moght of heroes), force-weapon wielding monster who re-rolls all his misses the first round of CC. Who is also fearless, I might add.

OR

Rediculously costly? Hell yeah. Worth it? Up to you.
... Marines need no more perks.:w00t: They have Drop Pods, not to mention the "And They Shall Know No Fear" rule, as well as the Command Squad rule. It's not like Space Marines are overmatched by Chaos in any way.;)

·
Registered
319 Posts
DeathInTheDark said:
wow u guys are way too technical
Ah, but details are where it's at, my friend! Combos are not just for Magic: The Gathering and Pokemon! (neither of which I currently play, I'll have you know!... although I really should finish my non-creature Magic deck and get back into it... that was gonna be awesome...)
Finding bits of an army that can work together like that is key! And you thought Space Marines were all for one, and none for the rest, didn't you... for shame

·
Registered
3,069 Posts
Or you could use the terrible following squads for HQ...

epistolary leading CS of 5-8, and another epist. one with FOD, the other with FOA. All in a drop pod.

and another of the same.

Deepstrike on opposite sides of the board and FOD first, then FOA. Horrible against all non marine and necron armies.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.