Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I wanted to start a space marine army that has a really science fiction heavy feel to it, and I settled on a black/silver scheme that, while boring, achieves the feel I was after. I based them to look like a remote, derelict research station or ship, like doom or aliens. I want to apologize for my slow painting speed, and if I do stick with this army updates will likely be sparse...here is my first tactical squad

·
Registered
38 Posts
Very nicely done. The purity seals look real nice too. (Don't know how you do those tiny little lines, I always make a mess of them when I try)

·
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
a small update, i finished the flamer for the tactical squad and i assembled and based my spec ops scout squad and assault squad...and i thought id add something random every time to make things interesting, this time its a chaos warrior

·
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ha yea i was originally just going to make the rocket launcher normal, but I couldn't for the life of me get the correct arm to fit, so i was basically forced to do this
Jonojoe- thanks, I went for kind of a SAW mixed with an M60 type of thing, I think it will look pretty cool painted

·
Registered
5 Posts
youre just lucky that your camera makes your work look good. In real life it sucks. I would know because everytime I come over I have to finger all your models even though you dont ever have anything new and I've seen them all a million times.... O look a new purple chaos marine! O wait, nevermind. O hey look! wait, nevermind

·
Ancient Spacefarer
1,715 Posts
youre just lucky that your camera makes your work look good. In real life it sucks. I would know because everytime I come over I have to finger all your models even though you dont ever have anything new and I've seen them all a million times.... O look a new purple chaos marine! O wait, nevermind. O hey look! wait, nevermind
That's a bit out-of-order gman1401... :/

Yes, I agree that the pictures are a little poor quality, based on that fact, I can't really comment much on the mini's. But from where I'm sitting they look nicely painted, it's just that most of the paint job's are obscured by the darkness of the photos.

I suggest you get some additional lighting the next time you take some piccies, a couple of lamps with Daylight bulbs is the usual way to do it. But the way I do it is to put them on a window-sill or a table near a window during a bright day(even with cloud cover it still provides the necessary light for the photos), that way you can take pictures without using the flash (the flash obscures the detail of the mini, hiding your masterpiece from us:)).

Also, get familiar with your camera's settings, go around and take a few test photo's to see which is the best to use in a given situation, if your not sure, change the setting a little and take a few photo's of it just to see what it does in the end result.
Might I suggest that if you're taking piccies from less than 30cm, you select the 'macro' setting (it's the symbol of the flower), that should help you with any close-ups that you want to take, and raise the brightness if you can (I don't know what the correct name is, I'll just call it 'brightness':p).

Looking back at the piccies that you did earlier, the first photo looks like you were on the right track there (in terms of picture quality), a bit more practice is needed and soon you'll become a pro. ;).
From that first picture, I can see that you've made good use of the extreme highlights, very crisp, although you probably need to bring out the flamer a little (such as the 'bar' in the middle, you should paint that in the same way as the trim on the shoulder pads, that would do the trick). The model needs some detail in there to break up that expanse of black, I'd suggest some squad markings/chapter symbols. Little details like that can really make the model 'pop' by giving the eye something else to look at.

I totally dig the base, are you going to do that with the rest of your army? That'll look fab :dance:.

Hope this helps, and good luck on your army :)

-Kai-Itza-

EDIT - Oopsy, looks like I've missed your first lot of photos (How'd that happen?:doh:) I was talking about this fellow:

Take more piccies this these (below), and you're rockin'

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.