Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, me and my friend have just recently decided to get into warhammer 40k. He picked the imperial guard as his army and i chose the space marines. i was just wondering before i go out and empty my wallet, what units are effective against the imperial guard? (i already have one unit of tactical marines er w/e cause i decided to pick up the battle of macragge box set.)

-thx

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
Basically, if you play Imperial Guard he will outshoot you to death. However if you get him into hand to hand he is toast. Guardsmen crumple under the might of Space Marines.

Fortunately for you I wrote a detailed tactica on this exact subject ages ago:

http://www.librarium-online.com/forums/showthread.php?t=55824

A brief excerpt:

Things to put on the table –

Limited HQs – Save your points here to take more basic marines, all you need is a basic commander with a power weapon, and perhaps artificer armour if you feel you must. Jump-pack chaplains are also useful. Ideally though there is no need for your HQ to be more than 100 points.

Terminators with Assault Cannons – Great….if your sure your opponent hasn’t got a Demolisher. If he has then things become risky. Deep strike these and use Assault Cannon Rending to destroy the Russes, they can soak up a great amount of fire which takes some pressure off the rest of your army.

Tactical/Veteran Marines + Meltaguns – I feel a rule of playing guard should be taken as the more basic marines the better. Take basic marine formations and go for numbers*. Ideally you should have 40+ basic marines on the table, giving your opponent plenty of tough nuts to crack. I’m a big fan of bolt pistols and chainswords against guard too* but I’m aware most people don’t have the models to make such formations feasible.

Bikes – Mobility, mobility, mobility. A Bike squad with 2 meltaguns is great, it can kill tanks and turbo boosting will keep them safe from ordinance and other nasty stuff.

Assault Squads – Great…..a little too great. Any experienced IG commander worth his salt will recognise an assault squad as a real threat to his army. You will need to be careful and make intelligent use of cover if they are to survive*.

Devastators – 4 Lascannons or 4 Missile Launchers with tankhunters….great. Any other combination leave them at home*.

Predator Annihalator with Lascannon Sponsons – A Lascannoned up predator will put real pressure on his tanks, and 3 lascannon shots a turn stands a good chance of at least glancing one of those tanks.

Whirlwind Vengeance – Useful and cheap, put it behind a hill and launch those missiles from range. Don’t move it, just deny them line of sight. Puts them in a quandary as to whether to deep strike stormtroopers (and weaken points from the main firing line), or to try and kill it. If they do deep strike some troopers, you’ve weakened that guard line and you can put your ordinance on the stormtroopers instead.

Landraiders – Like the terminators…..oddly useful for once. If your playing a 2000 point or more battle, I highly recommend a Landraider, Crusader or normal either is good. Both take a lot of the threat from the guard heavy weapons, it takes an obscene amount of lascannons and missile launcher fire to neutralise one. Both can be assaulted straight out of without waiting a turn. The only thing that is a real worry is your opponent getting close with meltaguns…..don’t let him crowd round your raider with infantry. The normal raider’s two twin-linked lascannons eat tanks……the crusader with it’s 12 twin-linked bolter shots, 3 twin-linked assault cannon shots and a multi-melta shot within 12” means it can both act as a devastating room broom and a tank-killer at short range.

To avoid a common mistake though, a lot of my advice is general and applied to higher point games. I would NOT advise you to take a Landraider or Terminators in a 1000 point battle, tasty as they are. Save it for 1500 points and invest those points in more marines, and round them out with an Assault Squad or Bike Squad (or two).

·
Registered
396 Posts
land speeder tornadoes, attack bikes (with Multi-Melta if he brings tanks, or Heavy Bolters if he bring heavy weapon squads) tac squads in drop pods, 5 terminators w/ 2 assault cannons, maybe infiltrating dev squads with heavy bolters or missile launchers (again depending on what kind of tanks he brings). probably the thing you need to keep in mind, is that if you stand still and trade shots with him all game you will lose to battlecannons. move areound and dont bunch up

1 - 4 of 4 Posts