Librarium Online Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Part of my themed Space Wolf army includes a squad of Blood Claws riding Cold Ones. I have completed one model as a trial (pics coming later, but I took some pictures of the three I am working on at the moment:

And a close up of the Marine armed with the flamer:

More pictures to come once I begin with the green stuff.
Positive or constructive feedback would be welcome.

Cheers,

D

Edit: I suppose since this is a discussion forum I should explain how I got them to look as they do.
The parts are from a Space Wolf Blood Claws boxed set and the Lizardmen Cold One Cavalry. The Blood Claws set comes with a melta-gun, but I had a spare flamer in my bits box.

To prepare the Cold Ones, I used a sharp scalpel to cut away the Mayan-style collararound their neck. On the completed model, I used green stuff to model my own collar, with a cable made from guitar string running from the side of the neck to just behind the left eye. I then modelled a metal face plate covering the left half of the Cold On'es face, so it looks more like an implant.

To get the marine legs to fit onto the lizard, I cut both legs off at the hip (where they are supposed to flex - the ridged bit), glued the pelvis in position and then glued the legs either side. The gaps will be filled with green stuff molded to look like the ridged bit.

·
Registered
827 Posts
They look great! Can't wait to see them painted..:yes:
But why would marines be riding lizards....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Glad you asked!

My army is a fragment of the Space Wolves 13th Company. They were cut off from the rest of the Company during a campaign and were thought lost.
In reality, they were merely stranded on a hostile planet and were forced to adapt to their environment. One particular pack of Blood Claws quickly surmised that their bikes were useless in the planet's muddy, uneven terrain, so with the aid of their Iron Priest they captured a number of the indigenous reptiles and trained them as mounts.

The planet has two main seasons, a cold, icy winter followed by a warm, humid wet season. I have modelled the bases to represent the "melt" leading into the tropical season. The snow is melting away and the lush groundcover has begun to emerge. To make the earth on the bases appear muddy, I have given it and the snow a coat of 'Ard Coat varnish.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Sounds cool hope it works out the way you want it to,good luck

·
LO Zealot
1,082 Posts
Hah fluff makes sense. Love the lizard riders 110% of it!

(Not sure about 13th company or anything.. )
For rules they would be counted on bikes? heh. Turbo boost bikes! wait erm.. I mean turbo run lizards! w00t.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Ja, it'd have to be bikes methinks... the 13th comp rules only allow bikes for steeds/mounts/etc.

Wicked cool by the way - the stuff the Eye of Terror lets you do is pretty cool.

·
Registered
827 Posts
d-cepticon said:
My army is a fragment of the Space Wolves 13th Company. They were cut off from the rest of the Company during a campaign and were thought lost.
In reality, they were merely stranded on a hostile planet and were forced to adapt to their environment. One particular pack of Blood Claws quickly surmised that their bikes were useless in the planet's muddy, uneven terrain, so with the aid of their Iron Priest they captured a number of the indigenous reptiles and trained them as mounts.

The planet has two main seasons, a cold, icy winter followed by a warm, humid wet season. I have modelled the bases to represent the "melt" leading into the tropical season. The snow is melting away and the lush groundcover has begun to emerge. To make the earth on the bases appear muddy, I have given it and the snow a coat of 'Ard Coat varnish.
I remember hearing you say that before. It's good fluff, it works well.:yes: Good stuff..!:w00t:

·
Registered
209 Posts
you know they actually have a picture of that model in the white dwarf magazine issue march? 2005. except its a salamander marine. :) other then that GJ! looks nice

also, u should use green stuff and mold fur all over the body and tail, that way, they would almost look like big-ass wolves you know? the black furred wolves which are the biggest, it would be more fluffy, hehe.

·
Registered
206 Posts
R.A.P.T.O.R said:
you know they actually have a picture of that model in the white dwarf magazine issue march? 2005. except its a salamander marine. :) other then that GJ! looks nice

I looked through my March '05 WD and i couldnt find it...i really wanna see it though. Im in AUS so i think the WD numbers are different for us over.

Anyway, to the point, love the model. I think it looks great, and works really well with the fluff. Top job mate (Y)

·
Registered
236 Posts
Yeah the WD numbers are different depnding on the country.

Very cool models. I like that you put the spare flame canister behind the marine. Good work.:yes:

·
Registered
38 Posts
ind nice looking mini's you got there
like the other LO guys would lov to seem them painted
can you give us a hint of the color sheme?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Murekhalir said:
For rules they would be counted on bikes? heh. Turbo boost bikes! wait erm.. I mean turbo run lizards! w00t.
Turbo boost? One pass of the wind and they are off for fear of being caught in their own clouds:x

Joking aside they look great... can't wait to see the painted version

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ulric988 said:
ind nice looking mini's you got there
like the other LO guys would lov to seem them painted
can you give us a hint of the color sheme?
A hint, eh?

Well this is the colour scheme for the marines:

These figures are not quite complete (I need to do eyes, accessories etc.). The other five members of the squad are in the window at my local GW store along with the first Rider. As soon as I get them back I'll post some photos.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Man those are nice marines:yes: . I wish i could paint like that. Although what colors are you going to use for the lizards?

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The scales and claws on the first lizard were done in Crimson Gore worked up from black, with a Crimson Gore/Blood Red mix for the edges. The skin had a base coat of Dark Flesh, which I gradually worked up to Dwarf Flesh.

I am thinking of having a contrasting colour scheme for a couple of the lizards, probably Catachan Green scales with a Khaki+Cat. Green mix for the skin. The Cold Ones have a couple of different heads, but two types of jawline, one broad and one narrower. The three in the pic above all have the narrow snout so they could be the males, and the one I have already finished has a broad snout, so it could be the female. I have plans for a fifth rider who will be armed with a power fist and probably riding a female, so the squad will end up with 2 females and 3 males.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Man those sound good. Can't wait to see them.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
Got my figures back from GW last night. Didn't win anything, but oh well *shrugs*.
Can't wait to finish off the rest of the mounted Blood Claws.

I spent time on each model in the above squad to gve them dynamic, realistic poses. Some of the models have up to 3 pins in their arms so I could position them tha way I wanted. It's probably hard to see in the picture, but the guy in the back with the two bolt pistols has just ejected a spent ammo clip from the weapon in his right hand and it's lying on the ground by his foot with snow melting around it.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Wow those are awesome. I like the colours used on the mounted dude and you have used them to full effect on that model. But they are all very good. Well done:w00t:

·
Registered
827 Posts
Wow, their nice. I like the steeds colours, they look good.:yes:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts