Librarium Online Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to be playing a friend tomorrow at my local GW and have decided to play a 160 point Kill Points game. I have been playing the same chap and he has been using Tau but he has spoke about his Grey Knight army being rock solid in combat and whilst firing!

I have moulded my current army list around assault troops (10 assault terminators, 10 assault marines) and after what he has been saying (paladins in terminator armour, force weapons etc) i dont really think i should be meeting him hand to hand! However, my army lacks in fire power (i only have a predator with any real firing capabilities).

He has said that he doesnt mind me 'proxying' units however I am wondering how I should go about it. I had a quick think last night and thought of including the following (the point values are estimates as I do not have my codex with me at the moment):

Assault Terminators with terminator Chaplain (530pts)
Vindicator w/ extram armour (130pts)
Devastator Squad w 2 HB, 2 ML (150 pts)
Scouts w/ sniper rifles and Telion (hopefully force a few invun saves with the rending capabilities) (125 pts)
Dreadought w/ Assault Rifle (115 pts)
Tactical Squad 5 men with Razorback

Any other thoughts as to what else I should include or tactics?

Cheers

·
Registered
512 Posts
Not sure about the normal marine codex but i have a fair bit of experience with the new grey knights, so have a few bit of advice.

1) remember that they die as easily as you, but cost more points. this is pretty commonly bandied about but it is important. whatever you don't kills you easily (i.e. vindis, rocket launchers), kills him just as easy.
2) the general consensus is that the GK codex is a shooty one. However, do not take this to mean that they are bad in combat. Their basic troops will eat a lot of your guys with ease. the PWs really hurt other space marines. Unless you have the assault termies, then you don't want to be in combat with them.
3) they kill transports really easy with their psyflemen and psycannons (which IMO are the best anti - tank weapons in the game at the moment).
4) GK are very capable of creating a list with very few points. if your opponent chooses so then he can easily do this size battle with only 3 kill points ( draigo and 15 pallies). What makes this worse is that its actually a very good list, especially against SM. if he does this then all he will have to do is shoot a couple of your transports (fairly easy thanks to his relentless psycannons) and then not die (also pretty easy as he is a two wound termie with extra protection from draigo).

hope that helps (and didn't scare you too much), tell us how it goes!

·
Registered
656 Posts
What kind of list does your opponent play? Paladins, purifiers, henchmen, or a mix? Depending on the army being played your strategy will need to change.

Your first priority will be killing off his psyriflemen dreadnoughts. This is where your las preds get their points. You may also want to consider a cheep sacrifice melta squad with a pod or another dreadnought with multi melta and pod them to just behind one of their dreadnoughts for hopefully a kill.

Your second priority will be to kill his transports and get all of those normal PA bodies out in the open.

If you can do this in the first or second turn then you have a good chance of winning. Also, assault termies with thunder hammer/storm shield are your best assault bet against GKs.

Hope that helps

·
Registered
321 Posts
You will need a few Autocannons/Lascannons or equivalent vs. Psyfleman-Dreads.
Also, as a GK player, the thing which bugs me the most are Plasma Cannons. With BS4 they are also often pretty accurate and it's easy to hit a lot of models with it. With no save allowed, relying on cover saves, I die as fast as vanilla Space Marines - and this hurts a lot, as my models are often pretty expensive.

Just don't get caught in open field within 24" or close combat. Try to use as many cover, ruins or fortifications as possible :)

·
Interrogator-Chaplain
5,356 Posts
I am going to be playing a friend tomorrow at my local GW and have decided to play a 160 point Kill Points game. I have been playing the same chap and he has been using Tau but he has spoke about his Grey Knight army being rock solid in combat and whilst firing!

I have moulded my current army list around assault troops (10 assault terminators, 10 assault marines) and after what he has been saying (paladins in terminator armour, force weapons etc) i dont really think i should be meeting him hand to hand! However, my army lacks in fire power (i only have a predator with any real firing capabilities).

He has said that he doesnt mind me 'proxying' units however I am wondering how I should go about it. I had a quick think last night and thought of including the following (the point values are estimates as I do not have my codex with me at the moment):
Assault Terminators with terminator Chaplain:

TH/SS Terminators eat paladins for breakfast if you pull the charge those TH and the extra attack are gonna hurt. I might change the chaplain for a libby though not sure both are solid.

Vindicator w/ extram armour: Solid choice, keep out of deamon hammers. Id drop the extra armor, not too much need. Not too many thingies that can hurt that AV from range and if he has it wont help. Same if he charges it. Spend the points elsewere.

Devastator Squad w 2 HB, 2 ML: HB out plasma cannons in. Dont forget the signum to shoot one shot at BS 5. This will hurt pallies.

Scouts w/ sniper rifles and Telion (hopefully force a few invun saves with the rending capabilities): Good choice but praying on rending is not going to cut it and one volley from his stormbolters and they are dead.

Dreadought w/ Assault Rifle: I would go missile launcher and plasma cannon myself to be honest.

Tactical Squad 5 men with Razorback: Enlarge it to 10 combat squad missile launcher, plasma/meltagun.

Gks play the middle range shooting and then assault game. Play the long range shooting and then deny charges game.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts