2 assault cannon speeders
9 man assault squad w/ 2 plasma pistols sgt w/ pwr fist
2 whirlwinds

Eldar
Eldrad w/ 10 warlocks
2 Wraithlord
1 Squad of Harleys
2 Squads of pathfinders
1 squad of scorpions w/ karrandras (i think but the pheonix lord)

set up. a lot of terrain blocking lie of sight. space marines set up 3 tac squads for left corner. whirlwind, dreads, speeders towards the middle, and the other 3 tac squads far right supported by chappy and jump squad. eldar put everything to the right side of the space marines.

Turn 1
Eldar
Eldrad, wraithlords and warlocks all move straight forward. the harlequins begin to shift towards the assault squad. scorpions move forward. pathfinders stay put. the wraithlords have no line of sight and the pathfinders down 1 tac marine
Space marines.
Dreadnoughts shift left and jump pack squad drops back behind tac squads. speeders move up to fire at harleys out of range the left squads kill pathfinder squad. drop 2 scorpions and 2 pathfinders. whirlwinds all miss.
Turn 2
Eldar
karrandras breaks from squad to fleet of foot. harleys move up to hide behind cover. eldrad and wraithlords move up again. wraithlord drops a asault cannon speeder. pathfinders do nothing scorpions fire at assault squad kill 1. karrandras assaults tac squad. kills 2 and stays locked in combat
Space Marines.
Speeders close in on harleys. dreads follow suit. assault squad closes in on scorpions. tac squads on left finish off the pathfinders. speeders, dreadnoghoughts finish off all but harley. whirlwinds kill 2 warlocks. in assault the jump packers kill the scorpions. and karrandras finishes off last 2 tactical marines. moves towards whirlwind
Turn 3
Eldar
Karrandras assaults whirlwind eldrad and wraithlords move up and still have no line of sight. karrandras destroys whirlwind
Space Marines.
Multi melta speeders go to karrandras asault cannon speeder finishes off last harley. 3 far left tac squads put a wound on wraithlord. and the rest of the dreads and whirlwind kill 6 warlocks bad rolling on his part.

After turn 3 the eldar conceded with only 2 wraithlord and eldrad and like 2 warlocks left. he destroyed 1 speeder 1 tac squad 1 whirlwind and a assault marine. total game time 37 minutes

·
Registered
72 Posts
Really I would not to play agaisnt the marine list. The fact that it has 6x minimum 5 tatical marine is really not good at composition stand point.its has too much assault canon. The only thing fun about the list are those 9 assaults with your commander except for that this army is just made to win.

Also the eldar does not have enough scoring unit or model for a fact.He oversize all his squad.

Those two armies are showing diffculty in composition. One put too much models in each squad , the other not enough. When building list the players need to find a balance between winning and composition score.

·
Gone
1,286 Posts
Je suis roix, this army is a good army, and tactically one player beat the other.
There was some min/maxing, but it was still a really interesting, non-vanilla list.
The Eldar player made the mistake of stretching out his forces and attacking piecemeal.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i dont see how 4 assault cannons is a lot. honestly i see way more in a lot of armies i play against. min max has its weak points too. but i dont believe in playing a bad list. where i play there is a lot of power gaming so i have to bulk up a bit. and thanks for the support littleblueman

·
Monkey Pirate
452 Posts
....all right then. Er what was the Eldar player thinking? I mean Kandaras and Elrad are nice... but... I mean a single Falcon would be nice... or 2 this is 1750 after all he should be packing more heat that that.

The marine player though, if the Eldar player had some brains and taken a Falcon or two, and maybe oh I dunno Howling Banshees in a wave Serpent you would have been screwed. Yes fantastic your backing a lot of heavy weapons. If you take a single round of fire your completely screwed though. You got lucky this time, I wouldn't count on it again.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
good luck getting to me. ummm vehicles dont help that much either. i can almost guarantee he wouldnt have made it into combat with anything but maybe umm a dreadnought that banshees cant touch. but its cool. yes i know this army is weak to assault but genarall most of it will be negated by shooting. thanks for the support greenbeard

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
It wouldn't really take all that much to get to you. Yes min-maxed lists can be powerful but they are a one-trick pony and it doesn't take an expert to thrash them.
All it would take would be a single unit of banshees to get to your lines and you would be in major trouble.
An experienced player would take this list apart, Im afraid. Banking on overhwelming confidence and 'superiority' in the shooting phase isn't going to work more than a couple of times.
You come across an army that is shootier than yours and you are screwed. IG can do it without breaking a sweat and the lack of models that you have means that you will not win a war of attrition under any circumstances.
Even an army that is geared towards rapid assault will have a relatively easy time of it. Sure, rhinos won't make it across easilly, but Falcons and serpents aren't rhinos and aren't known as unkillable for nothing.
Considering that they can make it across the board in a single turn means that with even 3 vehicles, the rest of the eldar army can pin you down without much trouble.
That and the eldar list was, quite frankly, attrocious. I field more bodies than this in my 1k point list, and that includes a falcon.

·
Monkey Pirate
452 Posts
good luck getting to me. ummm vehicles dont help that much either. i can almost guarantee he wouldnt have made it into combat with anything but maybe umm a dreadnought that banshees cant touch. but its cool.
Have you ever faced a tooled out Falcon? It once took my guardsmen 3 turns just to stun the thing. And that was from blasting it with upwards of 15 missile launchers, they are very very hardy and takes a lot of luck to take one down. Also the pulse laser shurikan cannon, and (most likely) starcannon pack enough of a wallop to fry an entire squad each turn and since your squad size is small he can miss a few shots and still be ok. Now if the banshees are in a wave serpent they will make it to your lines. Take the survivability of a falcon and increase by a factor of say 1.5 and you get a wave serpent.
I've actually played someone who used one of these lists, he didn't fair so well. Min Maxing is usually a horrible idea, its very hard to win when you only have 50 models on the table all in small squads. In the game i played i was borrowing a friends necrons, I had him to the point of ineffectiveness in 2 turns.

Now a win is a win, but I still would not count on beat another Eldar army with that list.

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
Tend to agree that the Eldar list is shockingly bad, the marine list is the kind you meet at tourneys so fair enough, the result is predictable from those two start points

·
1,065 Posts
yeah, that marine list looks....errr interesting. I mean, it's very tactiful.

but that Eldar list? I haven't seen something sooo bad before. I'm thinking this is thre real reason for such a victory, no offense.

·
LO Zealot
1,568 Posts
All it would take would be a single unit of banshees to get to your lines and you would be in major trouble.
People still take howling banshees? :p I'm (pleasantly) surprised any time I don't see Harlequins in the eldar elite slot and falcons in the heavy support slot.. with said harlequins riding inside.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
none taken i saw what he was using and figured it would be a.... well a game i guess. but its cool i guess everyone hates my list but whatever you say guys

·
Sparta!
1,438 Posts
People still take howling banshees? :p I'm (pleasantly) surprised any time I don't see Harlequins in the eldar elite slot and falcons in the heavy support slot.. with said harlequins riding inside.
Hah, you would love our gaming group - not a single harlequin in sight out of 3 Eldar players - we all have themed armies and harlies just don't fit any of them.

·
LO Zealot
1,568 Posts
i guess everyone hates my list but whatever you say guys
Um, no? You min-max your list, sure, but I don't have any problem with that. Anyway, you took no plasma guns, have squads of armor 10 speeders, whirlwinds, etc. A decent list, sure, but nothing too rough. I've seen much worse at tournaments.

·
Gone
1,286 Posts
They actually aren't min maxed, because to be min maxed, he would have needed a las or something in those squads, or some veteran sergeants.

·
LO Zealot
1,568 Posts
They actually aren't min maxed, because to be min maxed, he would have needed a las or something in those squads, or some veteran sergeants.
Uh? He has the minimum squad size in all 6 of his troop selections with heavy weapons in each. What is that called if not min-maxed? Granted, he could have taken plasma guns in there, too, to also maximum special weapons, but it's still taking the maximum number of heavy weapons with the minimum amount of tac marines possible.

And who would take vet srg's in 5-man squads meant only to shoot?

·
The Fallen
7,745 Posts
moob is right, they are min maxed, what they are not is "las/plas minmaxed" the SM list is competative but by no means over powered, as moob says, any given official tourney will see more powergame lists in droves

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think the SM won mainly to lack of eldar models. Most Iyanden lists are larger than that. Now as for the SM, they attacked at the enemy appropiately, nothing bad about the approach, but some just disdain the facts of the minmax approach. The Eldar I dont even think was being piloted by a veteran player. The list shows it, unless they have just started that army.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I've got to say that, in my buddy's 750 Point, with a wave serpent, he still has more guys than that Eldar list. Min-maxing can be fun for a couple of games, but my min/max list (my non-competitive one) gets owned each time now that my friend has been beaten twice by it (first, massacre, second, barely won, the rest are just terrible for me). Whatever though, a battle is a battle. Just don't face that same Eldar player again, since, if he had any brains, he would wise up to your tactics.

Cheers:happy:

·
Registered
356 Posts
I'm going to add to what others have been saying and say that The eldar players list was really bad. Eldrad & Karandras in a 1750pt match? What was he hoping to achieve?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.